Attention DA:An insulted voter speaks.

Serqet

Expert Member
stupid article. Pointless. Everyone knows what the score is... and if you don't you have been living under a rock. There is nothing wrong with the DA highlighting this. It is a credible threat that needs to be pointed out. And if you are one of the whiny cry-babies who agrees with this drivel, then I have a picture of you...

cBoo_hoo.jpg

Why state the obvious then Garyvdh? We all know Zuma is a threat and non-ANC voters don't want him in power. Whose votes are they trying to secure? That's what i'm interested to know.

Flanders

Honorary Master
Ever considered why all the ANC is ever does is repeatedly make empty promises time and time again? Why aren't they too highlighting the short-comings and dangers within opposition parties and their leaders?

You can bet your bottom dollar that the ANC would relish in pointing fingers at the failures of everyone else and if there was a potential maniac on the loose who they deemed a threat and this person was about to become president, they'd have a thing or two to say about him as well, I'm sure!

The big difference is, the vast majority of dirt already lies within the ANC. There's none left to dig up anywhere else!

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
Yea i'm also interested in hearing what the DA's reply to your email was TonyHawk.

I agree with chiskop. I also feel that their Zuma campaign is only really received with DA Voters and not enticing enough to people who are voting for the first time or don't usually vote DA.

For example this is my first election. I don't feel DA has really reached me via main stream media. I have read the policies yet to be honest majority of the political parties websites all say the same thing. It's all very 'fluffed'. Perhaps i am at fault as i should have maybe attended a rallly or two. So what does a person in my position do? We are 4 days away from the election and while i'm 90% sure i'll vote DA. There's another part of me that just isn't sure.

If anyone is interested there is an online questionaire on www.mg.co.za for anyone who is still undecided as to who to vote for. It asks you a series of questions and includes the different policies from all the parties. It then sums up at the end who you should vote for.

I tried that and i found that i chose more COPE policies than i did DA. *sigh*

Now that was the first openly positive criticism of the DA campaign I have heard on this forum. You state you don't agree with the campaign, and then you give a very plausible reason as to why.

I do understand your concern and I have no good answer for you. Perhaps you are right, the DA is focussing too much on people who will already vote for them and not enough on new voters.

Thank you.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
Why state the obvious then Garyvdh? We all know Zuma is a threat and non-ANC voters don't want him in power. Whose votes are they trying to secure? That's what i'm interested to know.

That is where you are wrong. Many people don't know that Zuma is a threat nor do they understand how democracy in this country works. Perhaps if they see the "Stop Zuma" campaign they may ask why and actually get an education as to why this man is as bad as he is made out to be.

Last edited:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

Why cry about the obvious. It needed to be said. The DA had the balls to do it. I don't see how that is insulting to anybody unless they have the feelings of a piece of toilet paper.

Serqet

Expert Member
That is where you are wrong. Many people don't know that Zuma is a threat nor do they understand how democracy in this country works. Perhaps if they see the "Stop Zuma" campaign they may ask why and actually get an education as to why this man is as abd as he is made out to be.

You have a point! I guess i shouldn't take it for granted as it's not as clearcut for everyone.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
You have a point! I guess i shouldn't take it for granted as it's not as clearcut for everyone.

It is also the fault of the opposition. They should have begun voter education 5 years ago! For this I blame Tony Leon.

The people of this country sometimes astound me with their ignorance, especially with regard to something as important as their government. You'll be shocked at what the average Joe in the street knows! :eek:

Serqet

Expert Member
Why cry about the obvious. It needed to be said. The DA had the balls to do it. I don't see how that is insulting to anybody unless they have the feelings of a piece of toilet paper.

True but i don't think anyone is really insulted or crying about it. We are just not sure why the DA has opted to make this such a large part of their campaign. While i understand Zuma is a threat some people may feel it's just political bashing/racially motivated/personal vendetta and may be put off voting DA. Which is a pity because i do feel the DA are our best choice at living a better life in SA.

Sackboy

Executive Member
That is where you are wrong. Many people don't know that Zuma is a threat nor do they understand how democracy in this country works. Perhaps if they see the "Stop Zuma" campaign they may ask why and actually get an education as to why this man is as bad as he is made out to be.
He's as bad as Mbeki made him look. Now that Mbeki's slur campaign has failed, the opposition are panicking and going on an attack campaign. This is a very risky approach.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
He's as bad as Mbeki made him look. Now that Mbeki's slur campaign has failed, the opposition are panicking and going on an attack campaign. This is a very risky approach.

So you honestly believe Zuma is guilt free? He didn't accept any bribes? He doesn't have 45 children with 22 different women? He did squirm his was out the trial after telling everyone he will have his day in court?

Are you that naive? Or just plain vindictive?

Serqet

Expert Member

Yes Mbeki did attempt to make him look bad. However, let's be honest here. Zuma was a rotten apple before Mbeki cast light on him. Do you reallly feel Zuma is a worthy president?

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
Yes Mbeki did attempt to make him look bad. However, let's be honest here. Zuma was a rotten apple before Mbeki cast light on him. Do you reallly feel Zuma is a worthy president?

If Zuma really cared for this country he would have allowed Mothlanthe to serve another term whilst he go his act together. Unfortunately Zuma is power hungry and selfish, caring about no one else but his closed minded goals.

Sackboy

Executive Member
As I've said before, given a choice, he would be better than Mbeki.

Abe

Expert Member
As I've said before, given a choice, he would be better than Mbeki.

The ANC are going to win, I don't think that will change (at least this time around), but do you really want to give JZ the power that goes with a 2/3rds majority? Someone who happily took a bribe.

Sackboy

Executive Member
So you honestly believe Zuma is guilt free? He didn't accept any bribes? He doesn't have 45 children with 22 different women? He did squirm his was out the trial after telling everyone he will have his day in court?

Are you that naive? Or just plain vindictive?
The investigation into Mbeki is not concluded, but he's certainly been implicated in the arms deal as you would know if you followed that story.

Can you provide a link to those claims about Zuma?

Abe

Expert Member

http://constitutionallyspeaking.co.za/?p=871

look very carefully at this part:

When Shaik appealed the judgment ordering him to forfeit R33 million of ill-gotten assets, the Constitutional Court confirmed the factual basis for charges against Mr Zuma:

"Counsel for the applicant [Shaik] very properly conceded in argument that, given the criminal conviction of Shaik, it must be accepted for the purpose of these proceedings that Mr Shaik did pay bribes to Mr Zuma. The payments were made by Mr Shaik in order to influence Mr Zuma to promote Mr Shaik’s business interest and, in attending the meeting [with Thomson-CSF] in London in July 1998, Mr Zuma did, as a matter of fact, promote Mr Shaik’s interests."

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
The investigation into Mbeki is not concluded, but he's certainly been implicated in the arms deal as you would know if you followed that story.

Yes, his financial consultant was charged with bribing the then vice president. It doesn't take a smart man to realise there is someone who bribes and someone who is bribed. Or did we fail to remember the Shaik ruling?

Abe

Expert Member

My mistake, I just re read the article and realised what was going on:

In terms of the substantive criminal law (as opposed to issues surrounding a fair trial), the only question that could possible lead to an acquittal of Mr Zuma is if he could somehow show that he received this money and then assisted Shaik to secure contracts in the arms deal, but that he did so without the intention of being corrupt. He will therefore have to argue that he was so naive or so spectacularly stupid that he did not realise that there was a link between all this money he received and the favours he then did for the man he received the money from.

Zuma is obviously "spectacularly stupid" in which case he did not realise that it was a bribe.