Attn mods - I think I've identified a [potential] spammer...

SAguy

Expert Member
So now you’re selling them for him?

Or do you just not understand why duplicating the spammer’s work is counterproductive to what the mods are trying to do?
First time reporting a spammer, wasn't sure what the process is.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
First time reporting a spammer, wasn't sure what the process is.
It was less that 24 hours after you agreed not to quote the spam.

The only process necessary is clicking the Report button.

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 06.34.14.png

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
i have said it before and will repeat.
Allow anyone to join but they have read access and can comment.
Once they get 10 likes or 100 posts or whatever then allow them to start a new thread.

This doesn't have to be made public news, just pretend that after joining their account will be reviewed from time to time and if it is in good standing order you may allow to start a thread.
Tons of geek programmers here, how hard can it be?
@bwana

SAguy

Expert Member
Just to confirm: we quote the spam and reply with "RAS", take a screenshot and post it here and, finally, report any @bwana replies for "being grumpy at 4am"?

Everyone got that?
I would laugh out loud, but I fear I'm already nearing infraction territory... so all you'll get from me is air moving really fast out of my nose.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
i have said it before and will repeat.
Allow anyone to join but they have read access and can comment.
Once they get 10 likes or 100 posts or whatever then allow them to start a new thread.

This doesn't have to be made public news, just pretend that after joining their account will be reviewed from time to time and if it is in good standing order you may allow to start a thread.
Tons of geek programmers here, how hard can it be?
@bwana
Unfortunately they could circumvent that by spamming within existing threads which might make it harder to detect. I believe the admins are working the problem but their plans, and capabilities, are unknown to the mods.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Unfortunately they could circumvent that by spamming within existing threads which might make it harder to detect. I believe the admins are working the problem but their plans, and capabilities, are unknown to the mods.
great to hear thanx
until then i will continue hitting the Report button :)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
great to hear thanx
until then i will continue hitting the Report button :)
That's all we can ask right now. :) A spam post really only needs to be reported once, then the mods can take it from there.

Ideally a system could be set up, whereby enough reports of spam would automatically put the poster in limbo until a mod could check it out... but I don't know if such a thing is possible with the forum software.

KT-B

Honorary Master
That's all we can ask right now. :) A spam post really only needs to be reported once, then the mods can take it from there.

Ideally a system could be set up, whereby enough reports of spam would automatically put the poster in limbo until a mod could check it out... but I don't know if such a thing is possible with the forum software.
Now that is a great idea - you must get flooded with spam reports

RedViking

Nord of the South

That is also a good manual system. A post with a certain amount of reports gets removed until reviewed.

/reports all Chucky's posts.

SAguy

Expert Member
That is also a good manual system. A post with a certain amount of reports gets removed until reviewed.

/reports all Chucky's posts.
No no no... can we please get rid of that asshat66 character first. Then we can take out Chucky :ROFL:

Reactions: Swa

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Now that is a great idea - you must get flooded with spam reports
We get a few :)

Originally that's why the RAS post was implemented - it signalled to everyone else that the spam had been reported and they could safely ignore it. The new alerts system is so convoluted that we need wade through each reported post to make sure we've got everything. But, it is what it is.