Attn mods - I think I've identified a [potential] spammer...

Nobody Important

Executive Member
There is a type of spammer that is getting in under the radar because they do not use the typical loud spam language.

One that I picked up and reported recently is a variation that registers an account, goes to any current thread, copies the 3rd or 4th post and pastes it as their own on page 2 or 3. Nobody notices anything. They wait for another page to be added then do it again on the same thread. Then they go back to the first post they made in that thread and edit it to include the spam link. Nobody notices. This is a long play, because they are relying on not being caught, hoping their post pops up when an innocent searches much much later.

Another one that I reported yesterday uses human-like gobbeldegook to post in one thread, that seems to make sense but the sentences do not add up. They then went to their target thread and did the same, but with a spam link.

Today I reported another variation that created a new "news" thread but copied an initial post from another thread, and instead of linking to the article/source, they included their spam link. Then created two more target threads with seemingly innocuous topics but spam links on the first post.

The common denominator in all three variations was the use of human-like speech patterns without the loud advertising of the spam product. The hook was the seemingly innocent link to source cited at the end of the post.

How this will be combatted remains to be seen. I will simply continue to press report, but I wanted to let people know about this type and to be wary as well because some really seem genuine. There is one that I even responded to who seemed to ask for advice about his ps4, only thinking about it later did I realize one of his links is to a apk. This is guerilla spamming.

Swa

Honorary Master
Yeah those have existed for a while. They post something that relates to keywords used and then include their spam link as "advice". Only advice was never asked and the conversation doesn't make sense.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Perhaps prevent people from posting links until they have a certain number of legit posts ?
They'll just wait, posting text from other sites, or even from within the thread itself, until they've built up enough posts that the system lets them run rampage. I'm sure you've noticed the 1+2 threads that precede a spambardmnet?

KT-B

Honorary Master
They'll just wait, posting text from other sites, or even from within the thread itself, until they've built up enough posts that the system lets them run rampage. I'm sure you've noticed the 1+2 threads that precede a spambardmnet?
Yes - was just thinking about that. It really is difficult keeping these bots/people off without upsetting your actual users.

SAguy

Expert Member
Yeah those have existed for a while. They post something that relates to keywords used and then include their spam link as "advice". Only advice was never asked and the conversation doesn't make sense.
So asshat69 and that other hollow earth theory guy are bots... who knew :laugh:

ic

White Walker [wearing a MyBroadband Jacket]
Super Moderator
And if you quote a spam post then bwana will personally come to your house and feed your dog a slab of chocloate.
Cruelty to animals is not allowed here, but anyone that quotes spam might have one of their own dog's lawn chocolate logs fed to them by one of the mods.

Venomous

Honorary Master
I'm normally not one to say this, but I think its time to block new registrations between certain hours if non-sa.

Can be done for limited time, see if those ass-hats get bored.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Well Zuma and the anc sold us out to China because their gravy dried up and wanted an new cash injection what do you expect...…………………..