Audi S3 SB vs Toyota GT86 vs Focus ST3 - Daily Driver

GipsyD

Hi all

First post here, so be gentle.

I'm currently looking at replacing my daily driver (E87 135i M Sport Coupe) of 3 years, and have about R500-R600K to play with. I'm looking for something sporty, something that will put a smile on my face every time I get in and turn the key. I've narrowed it down to these three cars, the Audi S3, Toyota's GT86 and Focus ST3 as my replacement daily.

I'm facing a growing dilemma, I'm not sure which is the better choice out of the three listed here, hence me starting this thread. I'm not a family man, evident by my choices, so right now it's all about price to performance. Note that all of these cars are brand new, so no used cars would considered.

Any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for viewing!

Pitbull

Verboten
The GT86 is not in the power class as the other two. Of those two powerhouses, I would get the ST3 as it's better priced.

Messugga

Honorary Master
86 shouldn't be on the list coming from the BMW. I owned one. It was sporty and a great driver's car but performance was nowhere close to my wife's GTI. The S3 is closer to a Golf R so nowhere close to the 86.
The ST I don't have much of an opinion on.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Would go with the S3 from those 3 options, purely because it's the only automatic on your list and that should be one of the tick-boxes for a daily drive....

Sumen

Expert Member
Hi all

First post here, so be gentle.

I'm currently looking at replacing my daily driver (E87 135i M Sport Coupe) of 3 years, and have about R500-R600K to play with. I'm looking for something sporty, something that will put a smile on my face every time I get in and turn the key. I've narrowed it down to these three cars, the Audi S3, Toyota's GT86 and Focus ST3 as my replacement daily.

I'm facing a growing dilemma, I'm not sure which is the better choice out of the three listed here, hence me starting this thread. I'm not a family man, evident by my choices, so right now it's all about price to performance. Note that all of these cars are brand new, so no used cars would considered.

Any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for viewing!
The Audi.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
How about option 4 - Megane RS Lux. 205kw @ R550k and incredible value when it comes to standard equipment.

Or if you can wait for later this year for the Trophy, which adds 20kw...

GipsyD

I wouldn't trade a 135i for any of those three. Maybe the S3, maybe.

And welcome to the forum.
I know, I know. But my 135i is really starting to show it's age. I already had a couple of issues with this car over the past 6 months, the most serious being that the turbocharger was heating excessively under normal day to day driving. Once fixed, I've decided to cut my loses, and move onto my next potential daily driver.

GipsyD

86 shouldn't be on the list coming from the BMW. I owned one. It was sporty and a great driver's car but performance was nowhere close to my wife's GTI. The S3 is closer to a Golf R so nowhere close to the 86.
The ST I don't have much of an opinion on.
I was thinking this exact same thing, but given the price point it's at. It's kinda hard not to notice. Especially when I see how easy (relatively) it is to tune, so I was hoping to get a tune for it to match something like the ST3, of if I realy wanted to, the S3

epah

Expert Member
All boring to be honest. Well sorta. If you really want to smile get yourself a BMW 135i/140i.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I was thinking this exact same thing, but given the price point it's at. It's kinda hard not to notice. Especially when I see how easy (relatively) it is to tune, so I was hoping to get a tune for it to match something like the ST3, of if I realy wanted to, the S3
It's NA so any tune you're thinking of is going to be expensive, unless you just go FI which adds an extra R100k to the price. In which case you may as well just get something with the power off the bat and save yourself the inconvenience of having your car in the shop for days at a time...

SykomantiS

Expert Member
I know, I know. But my 135i is really starting to show it's age. I already had a couple of issues with this car over the past 6 months, the most serious being that the turbocharger was heating excessively under normal day to day driving. Once fixed, I've decided to cut my loses, and move onto my next potential daily driver.
In that case, S3 gets my vote. DSG, Quattro, powerful. What's not to like?

GipsyD

It's NA so any tune you're thinking of is going to be expensive, unless you just go FI which adds an extra R100k to the price. In which case you may as well just get something with the power off the bat and save yourself the inconvenience of having your car in the shop for days at a time...
Are you serious? The 86 isn't turbocharged? Jeez, I thought it was! Thanks for the heads up. That explains why the performance numbers are so low from this type of car. Consider the 86 out.

GipsyD

All boring to be honest. Well sorta. If you really want to smile get yourself a BMW 135i/140i.
Was considering this. But the price is way out of the ball park for what I am comfortable with. There are some second hand options, but I'm not that adventurous on pulling the plug on one.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Are you serious? The 86 isn't turbocharged? Jeez, I thought it was! Thanks for the heads up. That explains why the performance numbers are so low from this type of car. Consider the 86 out.
Go test drive the Megane RS. Trust me.

You'll be lucky to get an S3 for R600k. Base price is R650k before any options, and the standard equipment list isn't that extensive...