Audioscrobbler

martin

Expert Member
Go check out audioscrobbler.com. You download a plug-in for your music player (most of the good ones are supported) and register with Audioscrobbler (everything's free). Every time you connect to the internet, the id3 info of the songs you listened to are uploaded to their site (tiny amount of http traffic) and they provide you with some nice dynamic statistics, artist recommendations, forums, groups etc..

It's a honest service run by a really nice chap from England , so no worries about privacy. Check out the FAQ's for a better explanation.
Let's get the SA bands into their charts. [:)]

My username on audioscrobbler is vanmartin. Look me up if you decide to use the service or join the "South Africa" group.

Check out this link to get a feel for what the service looks like.
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/vanmartin/

antowan

Honorary Master
Interesting service. Quite cool. I think it can go places. Any opportunity for investment? I see you listen to the Narrow. I went to school with the lead singer and I am keeping a keen eye on their success...

Very happy for them!

Thanks for the headsup!

Cheers
Ant

He who does not understand the value of war at the right time, cannot comprehend the value of life at any time - Anonymous

martin

Expert Member
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by antowan</i>
<br />Interesting service. Quite cool. I think it can go places. Any opportunity for investment? I see you listen to the Narrow. I went to school with the lead singer and I am keeping a keen eye on their success...

Very happy for them!

Thanks for the headsup!

Cheers
Ant

He who does not understand the value of war at the right time, cannot comprehend the value of life at any time - Anonymous
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Dunno about investment opportunities, you'd have to contact RJ. His e-mail address is available on the website.

The Narrow rocks. My favourite SA band by a mile.

martin

Expert Member
bump, cause we could do with some more South Africans on Audioscrobbler.
If you're on Audioscrobbler we now have a 'South Africa' group you can join:
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/group/South%2BAfrica

martin

Expert Member
Great timing. A day after this post their server is down for maintenance. [:p] Please check them out when they're up again!

martin

Expert Member
Yip, saw you joined as well! I'd love to see a SA band make it into their charts at some point.

Karnaugh

Banned
Bleh, I always forget to reinstall my audioscrobbler every time winamp decides to get corupted.

- Colin Alston
colin@slipgate.za.net

"Getting traffic shaping right is easy and can be summed up in one word: Dont." -- George Barnett

martin

Expert Member
Try www.quinnware.com for the Quintessential Player. Very nice sorting and ripping, much better than winamp in my opinion and completely free.

martin

Expert Member
If you're referring to Audioscrobbler, it's because of the downtime yesterday, they have a huge backlog of submitted songs to process.

chamdo

<i>Originally posted by Karnaugh</i>
<br />Bleh, I always forget to reinstall my audioscrobbler every time winamp decides to get corupted.

Yep I agree my winamp as crashed enough times. Also i have found a problem with Winamp 5.0! The icon that is created on the taskbar opens it up and then Winamp crashes. Also if you make an edit to your playlist it doesn't save it which is annoying.

cmcdonald