• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

[AUS] Blood spilled in Sydney 7-Eleven axe attack

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Blood spilled in Sydney 7-Eleven axe attack

A jury has been shown the moment a swinging axe is used to strike a man and a woman leaving a bloody scene at a 7-Eleven convenience store in Sydney.

The dramatic CCTV footage was shown yesterday during the trial of Evie Amati, who is accused of the axe attack at the Enmore store in January last year.

Amati put her head in her hands and wiped away tears as she sat in the NSW District Court dock when the footage was played.

The 26-year-old has pleaded not guilty to wounding with intent to murder two customers and attempting to wound a pedestrian with intent to murder.

Her barrister said the jury would have to consider the state of mind and intent of Amati, a transgender woman affected by drugs and depression, and whether a defence of mental illness could be made.

The footage begins with Amati strolling into the store carrying an axe before standing close to Benjamin Rimmer who is behind another customer, Sharon Hacker.

Amati swings the axe with both hands and brings it down on Mr Rimmer's face before he falls to the ground.

She swings it again and strikes the back of Ms Hacker who also falls to the ground.
Buzzfeed seems to be the only source currently carrying an uncensored video of the attacks. NSFW.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty...age?bfsplash&utm_term=.feK88Dw45y#.nwN55zVjQp

From the Buzzfeed article;

In opening arguments on Monday, Amati’s barrister Charles Waterstreet said there was “no doubt” the CCTV footage showed Amati's body carrying out the attack, but the question for the jury is "whether the mind, brain, or soul of Evie Amati holds any legal or moral responsibility for the body’s actions that night".

Amati looked at the screen as the CCTV footage was played to the jury, physically recoiling as she watched herself take the first swing at Rimmer.

As it was played from a second camera angle, she recoiled again at the swing and then started to cry.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Damn...

Ms Amati’s barrister Charles Waterstreet described his client’s actions as “horrible” but said she did not intend them and was mentally ill at the time.

Mr Waterstreet said Ms Amati’s purchase of the axe she used to attack three people was “completely and utterly innocent” and for the purpose of breaking up an old couch.

But on January 7 last year she had “lost her mind” with “demons … possessing her”.

Describing Ms Amati as “a woman of very good character … of considerable intelligence not an axe murderer”, Mr Waterstreet said Ms Amati had severe depression and had been suicidal.

He said she had “excruciating” physical and psychiatric pain from a gender reassignment operation she’d travelled to Thailand with her family to have, and had “resorted to taking cannabis”.

He said before her gender reassignment, Ms Amity had been known as Karl Amati, had worked as a unionist for seven years, and was “brilliant” intellectually.

But after becoming a woman, she had increased her cannabis use and took both antidepressants and female hormones.

However, he said Ms Amati was “dead set against any amphetamines” and had “unwittingly” taken some on the night of the attack which adversely affected her.

On the night, three types of “feminising hormones”, cannabis, MDA and alcohol was “a toxic mixture on a fragile mind” which had resulted in “a gory, gory scene”.

Mr Waterstreet said he would call psychiatrists who would testify Ms Amati had been in “a toxic delirium” and a “drug-induced psychosis”.

He said she had tried to take her life twice since the surgery and had believed on the night a potential girlfriend thought she was “too ugly”.

Earlier, the court heard Ms Amati had posted disturbing messages on Facebook less than an hour before she swung the 2kg axe at the heads of two 7-Eleven customers.

It was claimed she changed her Facebook status to read, “humans are only able to destroy or hate so that is what I shall do”, and at 1.13am on January 7, also sent a Facebook message to a woman she thought had rejected her saying “one day I am going to kill a lot of people”.

She allegedly also wrote a Facebook message saying “some people deserve to die. I hate people” and “I know where you live haha”.

Within 67 minutes of writing that message, Ms Amati had armed herself with the axe and an 18cm long knife and entered Enmore 7-Eleven and launched the attacks, it was alleged in the NSW District Court on Monday.
https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...s/news-story/46fd1f0388d0e11acebeb09aba385353

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Not sure how I would've reacted, but I'm sure seeing someone walking around with an axe in a store would set alarm bells off. I'd like to think that I wouldn't drop my guard by turning my back on them.

This may also be used to reinforce the argument that transgenderism is a manifestation of mental illness. It is already documented that they have higher rates of depression and suicide/suicidal behaviour.

Crazy story.

Last edited:

rietrot

Executive Member
Her barrister said the jury would have to consider the state of mind and intent of Amati, a transgender woman affected by drugs and depression, and whether a defence of mental illness could be made
Ridiculous. You can't swing an axe without intent even when depressed and confused about your gender.

And the more you read the more stupid it becomes.

Hemps

Executive Member
They lucky it wasn't an axe from Forged in fire TV series, some of those weapons are crazy.

CooperS

This k a k happens when the weird becomes the norm. Should be locked up to protect the rest of us.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
This may also be used to reinforce the argument that transgenderism is a manifestation of mental illness.
Sample size of 1. Would be incredibly poor reasoning and irresponsible to conclude anything like what you're suggesting from this case.

Evidence shows the depression and suicidal behaviour for transgender people primarily comes from stigma and discrimination, not their being trans itself.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...nsgender-people-experience-more-mental-health

According to a study published in the July 2016 edition of The Lancet offers significant evidence that the "distress and impairment, considered essential characteristics of mental disorders" among transgender individuals primarily arises in response to the discrimination, stigma, lack of acceptance, and abuse they face on an unfortunately regular basis.
It's also entirely possible (even probably) that she had mental illness problems completely unrelated to being trans, like underlying psychosis:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty...-drug-in-blood?utm_term=.bxl0bVrXr#.ik9aVbmrm

He said he didn't purport to know Amati's psychological state and could not exclude "the possibility that MDA could trigger a psychosis in a person who has a predisposition to psychosis".

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Sample size of 1. Would be incredibly poor reasoning and irresponsible to conclude anything like what you're suggesting from this case.
I'm merely commenting on how people tend to pick up on things like this and run with it.

Personally, it's your body, you do you.

Evidence shows the depression and suicidal behaviour for transgender people primarily comes from stigma and discrimination, not their being trans itself.
Regarding the depression and the relation to her gender reassignment, the lawyer goes there himself;

He said she had “excruciating” physical and psychiatric pain from a gender reassignment operation she’d travelled to Thailand with her family to have, and had “resorted to taking cannabis”.
But after becoming a woman, she had increased her cannabis use and took both antidepressants and female hormones.

Last edited:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
I'm merely commenting on how people tend to pick up on things like this and run with it.

Personally, it's your body, you do you.
Yeah, sure. Wasn't saying you were claiming it, but I think it's important to be accurate about this stuff. :)

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Ja so no one should be allowed to buy an axe without a psychiatric evaluation and a competency certificate....

access

Executive Member
just cant get that last chop-chop out of his mind, drove him mad thinking of his own axe wound. lol had to dish them out first to see.