Australia [& SA] banned from speaking at UN climate change summit in 'unprecedented' rebuke

Currantly

Australia is among a group of coal-supporting economies singled out as not getting a spot on the list of 63 speakers at the upcoming UN climate change summit.

Environmental advocates welcomed the ‘unprecedented move’, saying it represented a rebuke of Australia’s climate change policies on the world stage.
Linky

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
indeed, you're only welcome at the summit if you're already toeing the line and repeating the approved narrative.

No space for any debate whatsoever.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
indeed, you're only welcome at the summit if you're already toeing the line and repeating the approved narrative.

No space for any debate whatsoever.
Don't you think it might have something to do with emissions non-compliance, .....not meeting the standards that they committed to?

R13...

Honorary Master
Don't you think it might have something to do with emissions non-compliance, .....not meeting the standards that they committed to?

I think Narrow doesn't believe man-made climate change exists.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Lol. The conservatives won a recent election in Australia over their support for a coal mine in Queensland. The lefties were routed in Queensland because of their greeny religious fervor.

They will hardly care about not being invited to some bogus conference.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I can understand why they did this ... but coming from a agency who has Saudi Arabia yapping on about human rights and sitting on the council there shows they have no credibility .... in my mind anyway.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
They're not upgrading the existing plants emissions control equipment as per the commitments they made, ..... what is worse is the fact that they're not maintaining the existing emission control equipment.

Eskom’s coal-fired Kendal plant admits to not complying with pollution standards

11 JULY 2019

Eskom says pollution reduction equipment at its biggest operational plant has not been working properly since early 2018.

The equipment, which cuts particulate emissions at the 4,116MW coal-fired Kendal power station in Mpumalanga province, began malfunctioning in early 2018. It was then damaged during a strike in July and August of that year.

The state-owned utility’s inability to curb pollution from its plants, which experts say kills hundreds of people a year, has prompted a lawsuit against the government from environmental activists because of the high pollution levels from Eskom and Sasol in Mpumalanga. SA’s emission limits are more lenient than those in China and India.

“Kendal power station is currently operating with very high particulate emissions,” Eskom said in an e-mailed response to questions. “The high emissions began at the beginning of last year.”

The delays in ensuring that Kendal complies with pollution standards are “unacceptable,” said Robyn Hugo, programme head for pollution and climate change at the Cape Town-based Centre for Environmental Rights, a legal organisation that represents environmental activists.

“For far too long, Eskom has run rough-shod over the rights of people affected by its pollution — our constitution demands that Eskom operate in compliance with the law,” she said.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Financial Times article

Leading economies such as Japan and Australia will not be invited to speak at next week’s crunch UN climate change summit, as their continued support for coal clashes with the demands of the organisation’s secretary-general as he sounds the alarm on climate change. Coal has emerged as a key issue ahead of Monday’s meeting in New York, where 63 countries are expected to speak, according to a draft schedule seen by the Financial Times.
However the summit is notable for those that will not appear: a number of countries building new coal power stations such as Japan and South Africa will not take the stage. Also excluded will be the US, which has said it intends to withdraw from the Paris climate agreement, as well as Brazil and Saudi Arabia, which have criticised the climate pact.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
it is still shutting down debate / opposing views

non-compliance is worth understanding, why are they non-compliant? was it a conscious choice? forced circumstances?

but no, better to just ignore the elephant in the room and only listen to the echo chamber

semaphore

Honorary Master
They're not upgrading the existing plants emissions control equipment as per the commitments they made, ..... what is worse is the fact that they're not maintaining the existing emission control equipment.

Eskom’s coal-fired Kendal plant admits to not complying with pollution standards

11 JULY 2019

Eskom says pollution reduction equipment at its biggest operational plant has not been working properly since early 2018.

The equipment, which cuts particulate emissions at the 4,116MW coal-fired Kendal power station in Mpumalanga province, began malfunctioning in early 2018. It was then damaged during a strike in July and August of that year.

The state-owned utility’s inability to curb pollution from its plants, which experts say kills hundreds of people a year, has prompted a lawsuit against the government from environmental activists because of the high pollution levels from Eskom and Sasol in Mpumalanga. SA’s emission limits are more lenient than those in China and India.

“Kendal power station is currently operating with very high particulate emissions,” Eskom said in an e-mailed response to questions. “The high emissions began at the beginning of last year.”

The delays in ensuring that Kendal complies with pollution standards are “unacceptable,” said Robyn Hugo, programme head for pollution and climate change at the Cape Town-based Centre for Environmental Rights, a legal organisation that represents environmental activists.

“For far too long, Eskom has run rough-shod over the rights of people affected by its pollution — our constitution demands that Eskom operate in compliance with the law,” she said.
Why would they, pollution is a western concept created by the white man.

Dave

Honorary Master
Lol. The conservatives won a recent election in Australia over their support for a coal mine in Queensland. The lefties were routed in Queensland because of their greeny religious fervor.

Whilst I don’t want to be seen to be arguing with an Australian about Australia I’d just make the point they are invited to the event and will be attending, they just won’t be given a slot to make a speech.

zippy

Executive Member
Anyone who has lived near Witbank or near Kempton Park’s old power station will know how crap these things are.

You have to be retarded to think coal fired power stations are a good idea in this day and age with all the alternatives available.

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
Whilst I don’t want to be seen to be arguing with an Australian about Australia I’d just make the point they are invited to the event and will be attending, they just won’t be given a slot to make a speech.
You mean they chose to attend a bogus conference? :laugh: Suckers...

konfab

Honorary Master
¿sǝɹɐɔ oɥʍ

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Anyone who has lived near Witbank or near Kempton Park’s old power station will know how crap these things are.

You have to be retarded to think coal fired power stations are a good idea in this day and age with all the alternatives available.
In other countries that have coal power plants of the same era have retrofitted them with the latest emission control equipment making them a lot more environmentally friendly.

There's many smart places still operating their coal plants with upgraded emission control equipment that don't have the option of instantly switching to the "alternatives available" (green renewables).

Do you know of any non-retarded places that have switched from large scale coal power generation to other "alternatives available"?

TooFastTim

Expert Member

The blue collar guys in Central Queensland are crapping themselves. The Adani mine will be an answer to their prayers.

Jabulani22

Expert Member
With all the methane gas our politicians let out , i for one am not surprised..