• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Australia tour of South Africa 2018

rakabos3

Executive Member
Am curious as to why, when both players where on the move, Smith towards his batting partner and Rabada towards the keeper, why is it the bowler's responsibility to avoid a collision? Did Rabada intentionally change his angle to bump into Smith?
Did u watch the video? Smith just walked, KG did more than just walk

Cray

Honorary Master
Did u watch the video? Smith just walked, KG did more than just walk
I did actually, when I walk into someone coming the other way why do you assume it's automatically one person's fault unless one of them changed direction? The one clip move shown is a three quarter angle so you can't see the direction they are walking in.

rakabos3

Executive Member
I did actually, when I walk into someone coming the other way why do you assume it's automatically one person's fault unless one of them changed direction? The one clip move shown is a three quarter angle so you can't see the direction they are walking in.
If i recall correctly, KG raised his arm, shoulder

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Hey people, I went to the cricket the other day in Port Elizabeth with my radio and noticed that the radio commentary was delayed by several seconds. Quite annoying. Does anyone know if it's always like this? Is it worth my while to take radio to the match in Cape Town?
Well it has to be bounced off various signal receivers and/or satellites and whatnot, doesn't it? I notice the same thing with watching on TV when I'm in a box. The action on TV is a second or two behind. It's fairly normal.
Yes it's usually a few seconds behind I think. But at the game the other day it was about 7-8 seconds behind, which meant that the commentators were talking about something different to what was happening on the field
yeah that is quite long. I think it would frustrate me more than anything else.
Its called "progress" and "the introduction of new technologies". In the good old days the radio feeds from ALL the major stadia were over 7 KHz and 15 KHz terrestrial channels. TV contributions was done via the microwave network back to the main studios in JHB, before distribution via terrestrial links to the Radio and TV transmitters. The time delays were negligible and only measurable with test gear.

Now all those links are gone, replaced with Satellite based SNG kit. The delays back to the main studios and distribution from those studios back to the transmitters are now all over satellite links, giving an intrinsic minimum delay in SA of 600 ms, excluding ALL the digital processing, which easily pushes the delay up by a further 1.5 seconds.

And then don't forget the processing of your receiving devices which are now all "digital".

Still believe all this modern **** is worth having do you???

Last edited:
Its called "progress" and "the introduction of new technologies". In the good old days the radio feeds from ALL the major stadia were over 7 KHz and 15 KHz terrestrial channels. TV contributions was done via the microwave network back to the main studios in JHB, before distribution via terrestrial links to the Radio and TV transmitters. The time delays were negligible and only measurable with test gear.

Now all those links are gone, replaced with Satellite based SNG kit. The delays back to the main studios and distribution from those studios back to the transmitters are now all over satellite links, giving an intrinsic minimum delay in SA of 600 ms, excluding ALL the digital processing, which easily pushes the delay up by a further 1.5 seconds.

And then don't forget the processing of your receiving devices which are now all "digital".

Still believe all this modern **** is worth having do you???
Yeah progress certainly has it's downsides, you could argue when we take one step forward with technology we take two steps back. A bit like the review system for dismissals, you can't tell me the game of cricket is any better off for having it

Anyway... so what your saying is that it's basically useless taking the radio to the cricket now in most cities? Given SABC's main studio is in J'burg, maybe that would explain why the delay is smaller there.

It's strange that the radio delay was much greater in PE than J'burg given the game was played in PE. But I guess the feed goes back to J'burg then fed back to PE? That's how I understand what you said anyway...

Stefanmuller

Expert Member
Yeah progress certainly has it's downsides, you could argue when we take one step forward with technology we take two steps back. A bit like the review system for dismissals, you can't tell me the game of cricket is any better off for having it

Anyway... so what your saying is that it's basically useless taking the radio to the cricket now in most cities? Given SABC's main studio is in J'burg, maybe that would explain why the delay is smaller there.

It's strange that the radio delay was much greater in PE than J'burg given the game was played in PE. But I guess the feed goes back to J'burg then fed back to PE? That's how I understand what you said anyway...
You dont really need radio these days with full electronic scoreboards and big screens for replays. Radio is still good if something happens and you want to hear the discussion. But listening while watching you will see rhings happening before hearing the commentary.

I used cricinfo during the last test, and they were about 4 balls behind. They obviously first have to see what happens, then type their comments, and site needs to refresh. Still good if you wanted more info though. Great for stats etc. In fact I spend more time following cricinfo that watching on TV, even if I am at home. Having to wrestle for the TV plays a big part though.

Dan C

Honorary Master
You dont really need radio these days with full electronic scoreboards and big screens for replays. Radio is still good if something happens and you want to hear the discussion. But listening while watching you will see rhings happening before hearing the commentary.

I used cricinfo during the last test, and they were about 4 balls behind. They obviously first have to see what happens, then type their comments, and site needs to refresh. Still good if you wanted more info though. Great for stats etc. In fact I spend more time following cricinfo that watching on TV, even if I am at home. Having to wrestle for the TV plays a big part though.
cricinfo is so bloated, no wonder they far behind. Actually on Sunday, cricbuzz was almost ahead of the live DSTV coverage. Those guys have rapid typing skills :p

Well I enjoy it when they discuss things that you can't see at the ground. Like when Marsh got sick the other day and Paine batted ahead of him, without the radio I would have had no idea why that happened. And when they were discussing the Rabada suspension even before the players out in the middle knew about it, it's things like that mean the radio is invaluable at the cricket for me. So much so that I'm unlikely to attend a match without it. The discussion is still good but the delay is really annoying after a while

Yeah cricinfo is great, especially for away tours that aren't broadcasted. But call me old fashioned, if I go to a game I just want to watch the action and know what's going on without having to stare at my phone screen.

DanDango

Executive Member
Havent really seen the fotage of this incident but by the looks of this...Steve Smith gave KG the shoulder. He could have avoided any contact but to me he is just as guilty. Trying some football skills to get a penalty??? Pity he didnt dive to top it off. pic.twitter.com/eWapKlkMUE
— Vernon Philander (@VDP_24) March 14, 2018
:whistling: