Australian Skilled Migration Visa and Australian Computer Society

MielieSpoor

Expert Member
Has any of you peeps applied or started with the process of applying for the Skilled Migration Visa for Australia?

Specifically, has any body gone through the process (or are going through the process) of registering and verifying the skills through ACS?

What has your experiences been?

srothman

Expert Member
/subscribe

Wife wants to defect *spit*. Told her I'll help her research it.
She's looking more at New Zealand tough.

MielieSpoor

Expert Member
This is a massive process though. I am busy getting all my work references and qualifications certified to send to ACS (Australia Computer Society).

Once submitted, it takes 12 weeks to get an answer. Only then the visa application can start - another 10 weeks.

I don't want to make any mistakes and only submit once...

srothman

Expert Member
Yeah I've got a couple of mates who have gone to NZ using migration/visa agencies. All of whom have found jobs and what not without too much hassle. If it pans out, and we qualify, we'll seriously consider it, but I'm not hard up to want to go, to be honest. I did promise her, though, that they day she tells me she wants to skip the border I'll support her.

MielieSpoor

Expert Member
I qualify on qualifications and experience, so I believe it should only be a case of going through the motions, but still, it is expensive and massively time consuming.

MrR

Expert Member
It is quite pricey if you aren't sponsored. Can't remember if it was here or on another forum, but a couple of people that went through the process was looking in the vicinity of R80 000 per person to complete the whole application processes.

Here's also a nicely personal detailed story from someone that went through the process: https://kortex.co.za/189-visa/

The initial cost is about the only thing holding me (and the SO) back from going through it at the moment, but we are actively saving up towards it.

TheGuy

Expert Member
I just went through the process of doing an acs skills assessment. It was painless and I got my result within a week

Cray

Honorary Master
Did this a few years back, one of the things I did have to do was get print out from the Varsity of the course outline before they recognised that the subjects I did for my BComm where in fact IT related. Had to appeal their original decision but once I included the course outline it went through without a hitch.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
I think Kilgore_Trout_Redux and ^^vampire^^ are in the process. Hopefully they spot the thread.

MielieSpoor

Expert Member
It is quite pricey if you aren't sponsored.
Pricey it is. Luckily I would be family sponsored.

I just went through the process of doing an acs skills assessment. It was painless and I got my result within a week
Hmm... Do you have a university degree? If so, did you supply the academic record or full academic transcript? If I can do academic record, I would much rather do that - R700 difference between the two...

TheGuy

Expert Member
Pricey it is. Luckily I would be family sponsored.

Hmm... Do you have a university degree? If so, did you supply the academic record or full academic transcript? If I can do academic record, I would much rather do that - R700 difference between the two...
Nope only MCSE but I know that they required full transcripts with subjects etc.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
I did last year for my Aus visa as software engineer. If you do you app to ACS properly takes quick, they just put that there as a max turnaround time incase of issues or unforeseen circumstances. My app was processed in 5 days.

Just make sure you read their guide on the site (pdf) which has a template for how the ref letters need to look - follow this to the T!!! Any slight deviation will get your ref letter rejected. I followed the template exactly and then just stuck the duties and responsibilities that applied to me for each job straight off the SOL for my chosen occupation.

For each ref letter type the whole thing yourself in Word and then send the employer and ask them to put the official company letterhead at the top as well as their name, designation and contact number at the bottom.

When submitting to ACS online you need to provide a scan of the actual degree(s) you were awarded as well as the academic transcript, then your ref letters for work experience and finally your CV is Aus format, although your CV is optional.

I got a positive assessment for 3 Year National Diploma in IT, BTech in IT, and all but 1 of my ref letters.

Again follow that format they give exactly as they have provided it - DO NOT DEVIATE!

NB: If you want to get your work experience assessed remember that they only count experience 2/3 years AFTER you have been awarded a degree that they give a positive assessment to. I have been working for 8 years but because I only completed my BTech end of 2013, according to them I have no professional work experience.

PS: getting the VISA is the easy part, the hard part is getting a job from SA, which is borderline impossible.

Good Luck!

JayM

Expert Member
I did last year for my Aus visa as software engineer. If you do you app to ACS properly takes quick, they just put that there as a max turnaround time incase of issues or unforeseen circumstances. My app was processed in 5 days.

Just make sure you read their guide on the site (pdf) which has a template for how the ref letters need to look - follow this to the T!!! Any slight deviation will get your ref letter rejected. I followed the template exactly and then just stuck the duties and responsibilities that applied to me for each job straight off the SOL for my chosen occupation.

For each ref letter type the whole thing yourself in Word and then send the employer and ask them to put the official company letterhead at the top as well as their name, designation and contact number at the bottom.

When submitting to ACS online you need to provide a scan of the actual degree(s) you were awarded as well as the academic transcript, then your ref letters for work experience and finally your CV is Aus format, although your CV is optional.

I got a positive assessment for 3 Year National Diploma in IT, BTech in IT, and all but 1 of my ref letters.

Again follow that format they give exactly as they have provided it - DO NOT DEVIATE!

NB: If you want to get your work experience assessed remember that they only count experience 2/3 years AFTER you have been awarded a degree that they give a positive assessment to. I have been working for 8 years but because I only completed my BTech end of 2013, according to them I have no professional work experience.

PS: getting the VISA is the easy part, the hard part is getting a job from SA, which is borderline impossible.

Good Luck!
Do you get any points for just N Dip in IT (3yr)? I have that but always expected Australia was off limits due to skipping the B.Tech.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
For those wanting to go through the process of immigrating, first check to see if your profession is on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL), there is also a CSOL which is per state sponsorship for work visas (NOT 189 Permanent Resident visa). If your profession is on the SOL you may be able to apply for a 189 permanent resident visa which has no restrictions. Be careful of work visas that are sponsored as if you do manage to get one (more rare than hens teeth) if you get fired/retrenched you get deported the same day.

1) Contact a MARA registered Aus agent to do a free assessment of your skills, age etc to see what points you get and if you qualify. Don't do the assessment yourself, you will assess yourself incorrectly and if you submit an expression of interest (EOI) with the incorrect amount of points you will be denied further application/re-submission.

2) Once you have assessed that you have the right amount of points/can get the right amount of points with the IELTS (English) test, then you can start with getting your docs together. Depending on your profession you will have to get your skills assessed/tested. Because I am in the software field I just submitted my ref letters/transcripts/degrees/cv to the Australian Computing Society and that was all. Plumbers etc have to go through a test by an Australian authority who I am told only come to SA twice a year.

3) Do the IELTS test. You will have to register and pay for this online and choose a date to do it. Sometimes the venues can be full for months. With the surge of people wanting to immigrate it is better to get in there early. Unless your profession is that of a teacher or some other kind of pro scholar you can do the general IELTS test (which I did) rather than the academic. The test itself isn't hard but they sure do work hard to trick you into making mistakes. I needed an average of 8 to get enough points to apply for the my visa. If you get 7.5 in one of the 4 tests (written, listening, spoken, reading) then the highest average you can get is 7.5 - although apparently they have changed this. Either way some people have done this test 7-10 times at R2500 a pop and still haven't got it right.

4) Submit your EOI and hope you get an invitation to apply for your visa

5) If you get an invitation, you get a special code to go do medicals. The medical is a chest exam and blood test. You also need to go apply for your Police Clearance Certificate at this point.
IMPORTANT: If you get an invitation to apply you only have 2-3 months to submit your medicals and PCC. PCC takes on average 6-8 weeks leaving no room for mess ups so get on this ASAP after invite.
ALSO: if you get a VISA you have to enter Australia within a year of the date of your PCC/Medical Results, whichever is earlier.

6) Once the medicals and PCC have been submitted then it is a waiting game. A Case Officer (CO) will be assigned to your submission. Some people get feedback from their CO for more docs while others, like myself, didn't hear anything for 3 months and then were granted a VISA.

Other) My GF applied for a visa on my application as a defacto partner. We had to submit proof of our relationship having been ongoing for at least a year and that we had been LIVING TOGETHER for at least a year. Rent Invoices, tax docs etc coming to the same address was sufficient for us. I have heard stories of some people being harassed for more docs to prove this. Both of us had to do the IELTS for the app although I needed an avg of 8 where my GF needed an avg of 6.
We just got a migration agent to check our docs before submission rather than doing it all for us which saved us $4000.

Some Costs:
Migration Agent: $1500 (+- R15000)
VISA app: $3800 for me, $1800 for de facto (+- R56000)
IELTS x 2: (+- R5000)
ACS Assessment: $450 (+- R4500)
---------------
+- R80 000 - this was when $1 < R10 so it will be quite a bit more now
---------------

VISA Granted 7 November, both of us have to step foot in Aus before August 2016.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Do you get any points for just N Dip in IT (3yr)? I have that but always expected Australia was off limits due to skipping the B.Tech.
Get an approved migration agent to give you an assessment it's the best way to be sure.
The best resource you will find for migration to Aus is http://www.saaustralia.org/

Last edited:

TheGuy

Expert Member

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
With a diploma if your subjects match closely to the occupation you are applying for then you just need 5 years experience, if its not closely related then you need 6 years experience.

https://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/7324/Summary-of-Criteria-2014.pdf
Just also read their requirements because your work experience only starts counting after completion of qualification after 2/3 years.

So if you have been working 10 years after your qualification:
Get Qualification -> 3 years to qualify as skilled employment - > 7 years skilled employment
So you can only claim 7 years. Just read their docs as I can't remember if it is 2 or 3 years after the qualification that the experience starts counting.

MrJacques

Old thread, but don't make the mistake I did.

If your degree / diploma is closely related to the ANZSCO then they deduct 2 years of experience after the completion date of your qualification. Mine was not closely related due to a broad range of subjects, so they deducted 4 years.