Autumn Internationals 2018

DanDango

Executive Member
Who are The Clan ?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/spirit-of-rugby/world-rugby-awards-shortlist/

When Jamie Armstrong first suggested rugby union as a game that people with learning disabilities might enjoy, he was met with caution and some trepidation.

“There is a fear factor that rugby is too dangerous... but that is a limiting assumption,” says Armstrong. Tackling those limiting assumptions is the mission of Armstrong’s Trust Rugby International charity – and his success in doing so has earned him a place as one of the two finalists in World Rugby’s Spirit of Rugby Awards, in association with Dove Men+Care.

Jamie Armstrong has introduced unified rugby to Scotland. Disabled and non-disabled players play on the same team
“Fears come from the limiting assumptions that people have about the capabilities of the players, the coaches, the non-disabled players,” says Armstrong. “The way you allay those fears is you bring them out in the open and you talk about them.” So Armstrong set up a pilot project in Ayrshire in 2012. One of the first players to join the “Clan”, as Armstrong’s mixed-ability, or “unified rugby” team was called, was Paul Johnston.

Five years later Johnston, who has Down’s syndrome, was pulling on a Scotland shirt to play against an Argentina side at the International Mixed Ability Rugby Tournament in Spain.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I see that there are rumours that SARU has engaged with the JRFU to play a pre-RWC match as a warmup in Japan. They took their time to play a match in Japan, they will need it to expect what is coming under the changing conditions in Japan. I think it is too late...

DanDango

Executive Member
Barbarians: 15 Jack Debreczeni (Chiefs), 14 Tommaso Benvenuti (Benetton & Italy), 13 Tom English (Rebels & Australia), 12 Damian de Allende (Stormers & South Africa), 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi (Lions & South Africa), 10 Handre Pollard (Bulls & South Africa), 9 Leon Fukofuka (Auckland & Tonga), 8 Juan Manuel Leguizamon (Jaguares & Argentina), 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit (Stormers & South Africa), 6 Siya Kolisi (Stormers & South Africa), 5 Lood de Jager (Bulls & South Africa), 4 Luke Jones (Bordeaux Begles & Australia), 3 Trevor Nyakane (Bulls & South Africa), 2 Schalk Brits (South Africa), 1 Wyatt Crockett (Crusaders & New Zealand, captain).
Replacements: 16 Steven Kitshoff (Stormers & South Africa), 17 Malcolm Marx (Lions & South Africa), 18 Anton Peikrishvili (Cardiff Blues & Georgia), 19 Sikhumbuzo Notshe (Stormers & South Africa), 20 Jordan Taufua (Crusaders), 21 Frank Lomani (Rebels & Fiji), 22 Jesse Kriel (Bulls & South Africa), 23 Elton Jantjies (Lions & South Africa).

Date: Saturday, December 1
Venue: Twickenham Stadium, London
Kick-off: 14.30 (14.30 GMT; 11.30 Argentina time)
Referee: John Lacey (Ireland)
Assistant referees: Andrew Brace (Ireland), Ben Whitehouse (Wales)
TMO: Andrew McMenemy (Scotland)

Sl8er

Executive Member
Barbarians: 15 Jack Debreczeni (Chiefs), 14 Tommaso Benvenuti (Benetton & Italy), 13 Tom English (Rebels & Australia), 12 Damian de Allende (Stormers & South Africa), 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi (Lions & South Africa), 10 Handre Pollard (Bulls & South Africa), 9 Leon Fukofuka (Auckland & Tonga), 8 Juan Manuel Leguizamon (Jaguares & Argentina), 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit (Stormers & South Africa), 6 Siya Kolisi (Stormers & South Africa), 5 Lood de Jager (Bulls & South Africa), 4 Luke Jones (Bordeaux Begles & Australia), 3 Trevor Nyakane (Bulls & South Africa), 2 Schalk Brits (South Africa), 1 Wyatt Crockett (Crusaders & New Zealand, captain).
Replacements: 16 Steven Kitshoff (Stormers & South Africa), 17 Malcolm Marx (Lions & South Africa), 18 Anton Peikrishvili (Cardiff Blues & Georgia), 19 Sikhumbuzo Notshe (Stormers & South Africa), 20 Jordan Taufua (Crusaders), 21 Frank Lomani (Rebels & Fiji), 22 Jesse Kriel (Bulls & South Africa), 23 Elton Jantjies (Lions & South Africa).

Cool!

Are they playing England?
(I assume they are, seeing it's at Twickenham?)

smkungfu

Looks like SA vs ENG.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Hell, I would have thought Rassie would want to give his chargers some time off? Not sure I would be picking so many Boks for a throw away match less than a year out from the RWC. Imagine PsDT picks up a serious injury against Argentina playing for the Baa-Baas? Besides that he has played his heart out all season. Does he really need another game??!!

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
How does the Barbarian selection procedure actually work? Does the club select the the coach and then leave it up to him to choose who he wants? I have heard that the players are invited to play and that it is purely optional. That being said, given the history and tradition of Barbarian rugby, which player would realistically turn down the opportunity to play if invited to do so? Personally, I think matches like this are far more entertaining that stupid test matches in pouring rain in Washington that fall outside of the test window, but that's just me...

DanDango

Executive Member
How does the Barbarian selection procedure actually work? Does the club select the the coach and then leave it up to him to choose who he wants? I have heard that the players are invited to play and that it is purely optional. That being said, given the history and tradition of Barbarian rugby, which player would realistically turn down the opportunity to play if invited to do so? Personally, I think matches like this are far more entertaining that stupid test matches in pouring rain in Washington that fall outside of the test window, but that's just me...
+1

The only rule is that the Barbarians must select one or two rookie players(not capped for national team). The one year it was 2 russian players, one was a lock can't recall what the other player position. At the end of the game this 2m russian guy is seen crying of joy, for him it was the highest level he would ever play. Couple of years back the Barbarians rookie was a rugby league winger, if was funny seeing him play. In rugby league the winger is the first receiver is the ball is close to the touchline. The fly-halve had to tell him "no you sand at the touchline". Last year it was Kwagga Smith and Harold Vorster.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Hell, I would have thought Rassie would want to give his chargers some time off? Not sure I would be picking so many Boks for a throw away match less than a year out from the RWC. Imagine PsDT picks up a serious injury against Argentina playing for the Baa-Baas? Besides that he has played his heart out all season. Does he really need another game??!!
Duane Vermeulen dislocated his shoulder against Wales and he is playing this weekend,

DanDango

Executive Member
Argentina

15 Juan Cruz Mallia, 14 Sebastian Cancelliere, 13 Matias Orlando, 12 Bautista Ezcurra, 11 Ramiro Moyano, 10 Joaquin Diaz Bonilla, 9 Martin Landajo, 8 Rodrigo Bruni, 7 Tomas Lezana, 6 Pablo Matera (captain), 5 Matias Alemanno, 4 Guido Petti, 3 Santiago Medrano, 2 Julian Montoya, 1 Juan Pablo Zeiss.

Substitutes: 16 Agustin Creevy, 17 Mayco Vivas, 18 Lucio Sordoni, 19 Tomas Lavanini, 20 Santiago Grondova, 21 Tomas Cubelli, 22 Jeronimo de la Fuente, 23 Santiago Carreras