'Avengers: Endgame' Decimates Record Books with $1.2 Billion Global Debut (No Spoilers)

garp

Executive Member
Hmmm... just my 2 cents, but I think this says more about the decline in quantity of crowd-pleasing blockbusters coming out of Hollywood these days than it says about this specific movie.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Avatar has had 10 years to accumulate that figure. Once the Blu-Ray drops for EndGame, i'm pretty sure it'll take that top spot.
As far as I understand it, these figures are for box office performance only. DVD sales are not included.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Hmmm... just my 2 cents, but I think this says more about the decline in quantity of crowd-pleasing blockbusters coming out of Hollywood these days than it says about this specific movie.
To be fair to Avatar, it was ground-breaking from a visual/technology standpoint. It is still the 3D benchmark.

Avengers had huge hype and the MCU in general has been well received.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Yep, just came here to post this!

All's fair in love and Box Office Mojo! :D

Zyk1

Expert Member
Few more million to go I think.
The re-release was a poor effort apparently.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
1563266401787.png

This is going to be so close.

It could just fall a few million short as the re-release was only good for $13-odd million and has already seen a 47% drop off.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
View attachment 684269

This is going to be so close.

It could just fall a few million short as the re-release was only good for $13-odd million and has already seen a 47% drop off.
It would be interesting to see what Avatar achieved after the same release window as Avengers..... I think Avengers might be ahead on that front.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
It would be interesting to see what Avatar achieved after the same release window as Avengers..... I think Avengers might be ahead on that front.
Box Office Mojo only seems to track the domestic (US) weekly takings. But running the numbers;

Avengers' original 9 week US run (before the re-release): $835,781,161
Avatar's 9 week US run: $428,865,132

Avengers was front-loaded. 79% of its domestic takings to this point were in the first two weeks. By the 9th week it only made $3.1 million domestically, 14th biggest taking at the box office for the week.

Avatar on the other hand kept chugging along. It made $19.5 million in its 9th week, 4th biggest taking at the box office for that week. It would remain top-10 until its 13th week in domestic cinemas.

Stephen

Expert Member
Box Office Mojo only seems to track the domestic (US) weekly takings. But running the numbers;

Avengers' original 9 week US run (before the re-release): $835,781,161
Avatar's 9 week US run: $428,865,132

Avengers was front-loaded. 79% of its domestic takings to this point were in the first two weeks. By the 9th week it only made $3.1 million domestically, 14th biggest taking at the box office for the week.

Avatar on the other hand kept chugging along. It made $19.5 million in its 9th week, 4th biggest taking at the box office for that week. It would remain top-10 until its 13th week in domestic cinemas.
There is some limited tracking internationally:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&wk=2019W28&id=marvel2019.htm