Average speed of South Africa’s top ISPs

v3gout

Another useless comparison. Unless you take into account whether the test was done on 2Mbps ADSL, 4Mbps ADSL, 10Mbps fibre, 20 Mbps fibre etc., the results are meaningless. It would be useful if I could, for example, see whether my ISP provides better numbers on 10Mbps fibre than others.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Weird how the top 4 ISP's (test numbers) are also the top ISP's people are constantly spewing hate about on this forum. Move people!

Syco

Another useless comparison. Unless you take into account whether the test was done on 2Mbps ADSL, 4Mbps ADSL, 10Mbps fibre, 20 Mbps fibre etc., the results are meaningless. It would be useful if I could, for example, see whether my ISP provides better numbers on 10Mbps fibre than others.
Couldn't agree more! I must say though that on Afrihost with my Up to 10Mbps ADSL I consistently run at 9.7Mbps and get amazing non-buffering HD streaming until about 7.00pm, whilst my speed tests still reflect more than 9Mbps, everything slows right down and all testing indicates lack of capacity from AH. Users in CapeTown need MORE capacity at peak times - especially Sunday nights!

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
My speedtest results correspond to my streaming & torrent speeds on telkom fibre with telkom as the isp, latency is also not bad but it could be a bit better.

Again a seriously stupid and totally meaningless comparison. Any ISP with ADSL clients not in a city (where max available is 4mbps), or clients who elect lower speed (cheaper) access has their figures negatively impacted.

access

Executive Member
i guess a lot of people test when they think their line is slow and retest and retest. if its all good its one test and done.