Awesome Raspberry Pi projects you can build at home

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Awesome Raspberry Pi projects you can build at home

Being at home during the national lockdown can be a good time to get started on a DIY hacker project - especially if you have a Raspberry Pi lying around.

A Raspberry Pi is a mini-computer which runs an ARM chipset, allowing it to function as the base component for a variety of DIY gadgets.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
We've got you covered since 2013 ...

oldhat

Expert Member
Does anyone here have a RetroFlag GPi? Thinking of getting one, post-lockdown.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Just a note on your Home Theatre article. OSMC doesn't work on the Pi4 yet. No ETA yet on the support yet but its being actively worked on and requires kernel 4.19.

OSMC works great though on Rpi3 for non 4k content.

Reactions: Yuu

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
Pulled out my original Pi (256MB, Model B) from the drawer yesterday. OS was from 2013, 2 USB ports shared with LAN port, 700Mhz single core. I wonder if the latest Raspbian supports it, and what useful things I could do with it. Found my Pi3B fallen under the vacuum cleaner, must have been there for months. Booted up fine, Kodi was in the 8GB card although the addons were not working. I can get a lot done with this one. Actually have a 512MB Pi B, an unopened Pi3B, and a unopened PiZeroW to go wild with.

I also found my old Android TV box that was stuck at the bootscreen and between Google & Youtube I managed to update firmware and get it running, although Kodi is hopelessly out of date on it.

I also finally built my DSO150 oscilloscope kit, and played around with my TTGO T-Display ESP32 modules. I cleaned my room a bit and seem to have many Nokia 5110 LCDS, a few OLED, colour LCD modules, 16x2 LCD modules. I still have a DSO1054 oscilloscope I bought 20 months ago that I have not taken out of the box.

I turns out that I am an hoarder, I don't actually do stuff. Covoid-19 has turned that around.

system32

Expert Member
Been using PI3 (Upgraded to Pi4) for:
  • Router - using VLANs (can also be done with USB GbE adapter)
  • NAS - USB3 disk + Samba - Pi4 handles GbE speeds
  • Pi Hole for DHCP and DNS ad blocker
  • Network stats - vnStat and Smokeping
Very versatile and inexpensive

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Reactions: Yuu