Axxess DSL Lite vs Afrihost R29/GB

dequadin

Expert Member
Sorry if these have been discussed recently, I couldn't find any threads about it.

What's the catch with the new Axxess DSL Lite offering? I currently have an Afrihost 5GB account, is there any benefit over the Axxess DSL Lite 5GB because I can't see any?

Axxess is claiming these accounts are unshaped and they're cheaper. The "vIP Value Added Features" that they've excluded from this product seems like something I've never used and shouldn't care about....?

Is there a catch?

Max001

I'm using Axxess DSL Lite, yes you can top up using temporary upgrade. Great deal and it's unshaped!!

surround

I'm using Axxess DSL Lite, yes you can top up using temporary upgrade. Great deal and it's unshaped!!

Yeah at first I also thought you couldn't top up since the top up button is disabled. However, as Max001 says, you can top up by performing a temporary upgrade. I've had no problems with Axxess Lite and appreciate the unshaped bandwidth. The only thing you can't do is downgrade to a lower option after you've already purchased that option. You can, however, downgrade for the next month. So, if you've purchased 20GB you can set your next month's purchase to only be 10GB.

hschutte

I moved from Afrihost to Axxess this weekend (kept a 1GB account with Afrihost though, just for the 2-for-1 special) and the speed has been great. Also, the instant activation was a bonus. With Afrihost it took about 1 hour to get online, with Axxess it took less than 5 minutes.

Turk1sh

Been using the 10gb lite for a week now and it works great. There is NO catch and Axxess service is awesome.

Afrikali

I am using Axxess since last week and I can download from RS mostly over 400K/s and first time in the history I touhed 600K/s speed. So far so good!

hschutte

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm going to go with them from next month....

Just be warned though, the R19/GB price is a limited time special and from what I've heard will only be valid for 2 months. But normal price will then be R25/GB (again, from what I've heard) so still cheaper than most.

RoosTa

Expert Member
I'm not that impressed by Axxess ADSL Lite.

For an unshaped service, latencies to WoW are higher than shaped accounts. Friday night and Saturday morning, my ping was averaging 800ms, compared to their shaped account which was 600ms. On their proper unshaped accounts I got 300-400ms. I assume their contention ratios are astronomically high as the latencies fluctuates a lot.

Saturday (17/04) I had massive lag spikes with disconnections and time-outs. While trying to phone their support line, I waited roughly 20-30min for someone to answer the call. Eventually I gave up.

Guess I'll wait for their R19 offer to end, then move on.

Last edited:

laurel&hardy

Just be warned though, the R19/GB price is a limited time special and from what I've heard will only be valid for 2 months. But normal price will then be R25/GB (again, from what I've heard) so still cheaper than most.

where'd you here this? hmmm...

william riker

i like this account, my torrents are going at 320+ kb/s during office hrs, as opposed to 7kb/s at AH....i know, AH shaped heavily but its nice to use ful power during the day.

Dan C

Honorary Master
I took 2gb to test and so far impressed. Hopefully this special will last longer than 2 months :)

Definitely not for gaming. My afrihost shaped account gives me the same latency to overseas HoN servers as Axxess does (240-350), compared to my WebAfrica Unshaped account which gives me like 170-180ms

Barfish88

Expert Member
I have both afrihost and axxess lite, and for gaming axxess lite sucks. not impressed at all.

Mahado01

I bought a couple of axxess lite gigs to test, was also with afrihost 5GB package. usually afrihost's line was b- or C quality, very cheap but not that good and downloading sucked. As far as Axxess lite being unshaped, lol, that's far from true when i tested it out. I have a 4Meg line and the fastest it went on the lite package was around 160 KB and that was direct downloading from a private server after 12 am. when testing my line out at various times of day and night, it said the max speed i could download at was around 420 KB so the lite service fell very short and i won't be using it again once i finish the package since it was not unshaped as promised. My WA shaped/capped account gave me far better speeds during the day, not even talking about after 12 am

Lanza

I don't understand why people are complaining. If you learnt to read news and notifications, you would understand why axxess is slower than usual at the moment. On the client zone for all packages (lite, family, pro), there are notifications beaming at you and begging to be read. Perhaps read these first before being judgemental.

Posted: 21 Apr 10
Emergency Telkom SAT3 Maintenance Notification.
AFFECTED SERVICE: International ADSL POPS: International traffic between SA and London/New York START DATE: Thu 22 Apr 10 08h00 (SAST) END DATE: Sat 24 Apr 10 16h00 (SAST) EXPECTED DURATION: unknown IMPACT: Increased latency REASON FOR CHANGE: SAT3 maintenance

Emergency Seacom Maintenance Notification.
AFFECTED SERVICE: International Consumer DSL AFFECTED POPS: international traffic between SA and London/New York START DATE: Sat 24 Apr 10 00h00 (SAST) END DATE: Sat 24 Apr 10 23h59 (SAST) EXPECTED DURATION: unknown IMPACT: Service interruption REASON FOR CHANGE: Seacom SMW4 repairs ADDITIONAL INFO: Seacom has advised that repair maintenance work will be performed on the Seacom SMW4 cable on Saturday. At this time they are unable to confirm exact times or duration.

P.S I used Axxess Lite last night and got 3mb/s average, with 40ms on games while downloading a few torrents.

Scoliosis

Getting 360-400k on 4096 line. Very happy...was thinking 5Gb was not enough at that speed, may need to bump that up.

Vercogen

Expert Member
I don't understand why people are complaining. If you learnt to read news and notifications, you would understand why axxess is slower than usual at the moment. On the client zone for all packages (lite, family, pro), there are notifications beaming at you and begging to be read. Perhaps read these first before being judgemental.

Emergency Telkom SAT3 Maintenance Notification.
AFFECTED SERVICE: International ADSL POPS: International traffic between SA and London/New York START DATE: Thu 22 Apr 10 08h00 (SAST) END DATE: Sat 24 Apr 10 16h00 (SAST) EXPECTED DURATION: unknown IMPACT: Increased latency REASON FOR CHANGE: SAT3 maintenance

Emergency Seacom Maintenance Notification.
AFFECTED SERVICE: International Consumer DSL AFFECTED POPS: international traffic between SA and London/New York START DATE: Sat 24 Apr 10 00h00 (SAST) END DATE: Sat 24 Apr 10 23h59 (SAST) EXPECTED DURATION: unknown IMPACT: Service interruption REASON FOR CHANGE: Seacom SMW4 repairs ADDITIONAL INFO: Seacom has advised that repair maintenance work will be performed on the Seacom SMW4 cable on Saturday. At this time they are unable to confirm exact times or duration.

P.S I used Axxess Lite last night and got 3mb/s average, with 40ms on games while downloading a few torrents.

pwnt .... im going lite !

Well the whole seacom saga is over now, and I still get latencies of 1000-2000 on WoW with Axxess Lite, this is for sure not for gaming and is not unshaped!!