Axxess SEACOM accounts?

JohnsonCT

I see. Well, I always assumed that IS and SAIX are two backbone providers (in the non-physical infrastructure sense) and that other ISPs (Axxess, Nexus, WebAfrica, OpenWeb, etc) would buy their bandwidth/usage from them.
You are correct. SAIX and IS are two of the main backbone providers in SA. IS has it's own international connectivity via satellite and SAT3 which makes it a backbone provider. Verizon/MTN Business also has satellite connectivity making them a backbone provider too. And now with Neotel having access to SEACOM, that makes another backbone provider!

Telkom's ADSL infrastructure has nothing to do with them being a backbone provider. Backbone providers very often don't even have last mile connectivity (local loop).

PuffTheMagicDragQueen

So in other words....we have to buy bandwidth through axess at the moment to get the advantage of the faster speeds???!!!
A lot of ISPs sell IS accounts, however while IS is buying some bandwidth on the SEACOM cable, they still have existing contracts which means that it will be some time before we see prices dropping drastically. Also it it yet to be seen how much of a saving IS will pass on.

mika1000

Expert Member
Try bargaining with Cybersmart - R499-00 for 10Gb + grow for life (gives you an extra 2mb or 3mb per day) + nightrider (download between 1am and 7.59am) and you can use 35Gb per month. No other ISP can beat that. With or without Seacom.

flarkit

Executive Member
Try bargaining with Cybersmart - R499-00 for 10Gb + grow for life (gives you an extra 2mb or 3mb per day) + nightrider (download between 1am and 7.59am) and you can use 35Gb per month. No other ISP can beat that. With or without Seacom.
Do they still have the rule that you can't use a bridged connection to another ISP on your ADSL modem? For example, having a cheap local-only connection simultaneously?

Pilgrim

Wugger
Do they still have the rule that you can't use a bridged connection to another ISP on your ADSL modem? For example, having a cheap local-only connection simultaneously?
Yea, but that does not stop me.

The rule is more specifically, if you do something like that don't bother phoning their helpdesk when your connection does not work. They will not help you.

Problem is if people install stuff like route sentry or do local/int splitting using a router etc. there is no way for their tech support to help you. So, keep it simple and they will help you. Play around and you are on your own.

I have been running Cybersmart with an Axxes local only account for 6 months now, no problems. I even ran 3 accounts once: localonly, unshaped for gaming and Cybersmart for the rest. No problems.

I would not recommend this for a beginner though, it is rather complicated, and as I said, you lose all Cybersmart support the moment you attempt this.

wikus

I cancelled my account with CyberSmart this month because they failed to keep up with the market trends with regard to the packages they offer.
ISP's like Axxess and WebAfrica will get ahead in the ISP game because they offer innovative offers like Prepaid Local-only, Unshaped and Uncapped bandwidth which allows them to cater for many different markets.

Cloud

Expert Member
I just find the fact that Cybersmart charge more for 3gb at 4mbps than 3gbs at 38kbps hilarious.

I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

Cloud

Expert Member
Wtf is up with the shameless Cybersmart promoting, you work for them?

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?p=2992917#post2992917

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?p=2992920#post2992920

I would be careful when considering Cybersmart. As said before, no unshaped (even though they tell my brother that it is) and they charge more for bandwidth depending on your line speed?!

Last edited:

StoneCold

Expert Member
I just find the fact that Cybersmart charge more for 3gb at 4mbps than 3gbs at 38kbps hilarious.

I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.
I'm just waiting for Openweb's new packages that they are going to make available early August and then perhaps also cancel my account with them. Thinking of upgrading my 384k to 4mb as well, but I agree, charging you more if you have a 4mb line for a 3GB cap is nonsense.

jacksback

+1

R250 for 10GBs... Gee... High standards much? *sarcasm*

Personally, R800 for unshaped, uncapped with no threshold (including DSL rental) and I'll be fine with it. Hell, R1,000 including line rental and I'll be fine with it. Anything over that is too 10-years-ago for my liking.

For "capped" services I'd expect it to be under R500 with caps of about 45-75GBs (again, unshaped).
An 8meg unlimited data connection for R350 per month is what we want. That's what I was paying in the UK

For R1000 you should be getting a DSTV, phone and internet bundle

Last edited:

ldmelsa

Executive Member
An 8meg unlimited data connection for R350 per month is what we want. That's what I was paying in the UK

For R1000 you should be getting a DSTV, phone and internet bundle
you can't compare a 3rd world country to a 1st world one

labratza

Expert Member
I wish we had a cap like that in our country do you know what fun we could have and maybe the piracy wont be so high cos you run out of ideas of what to download

wikus

I wish we had a cap like that in our country do you know what fun we could have and maybe the piracy wont be so high cos you run out of ideas of what to download
Omg, you can't be serious.
That's like saying thieves should keep on stealing, there will eventually not be anything left to steal.

SHVAK

I laughed so hard I think I hurt myself :erm:
Reminds me of a local internet cafe owner I knew... Always noticed this guy parked outside his cafe using a laptop.
Never came in the store, just sat there most lunchtimes.
Took him about six months to figure out he had put no password on his wifi network. A very expensive mistake, luckily it's a small town so only one guy twigged :D