Axxess Sim only Telkom LTE starting at R99 pm

aj81

I got my sim a week ago. Still waiting for the sim activation. Very bad service from Axxess.

HaNsA

Expert Member
I only got my sim yesterday but yes, same issue and a generic reply from support... not a great start considering my previous data plan was cancelled and its now the new month...
Same issue here

hackerjargon

I had the sim I got in my phone for most of the day after receiving it yesterday. Swapped back my other sim before I went home form work. Placed the sim I got into my spare phone at home and to my surprise it was activated.

Surprised to find LIT video activated on the sim. Here's the sms:
"LIT Video successfully enabled. To disable, use your preferred self-service channel"

Tested it (from the phone) and works with default 'internet' apn. Will test 'unrestricted' apn later.

hjst45

Hi all
Looking at dropping my ADSL line and going to this Axxess 60+60 setup.
Router probably Huawei B525-65a or B618-65d from huaweistore.co.za (both R1,999)
Which is better and will these be ok on the Telkom network.

Get the B618

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
Well here is a comparison of the B618s-65d and the B525s-65a. Both routers are connected via ethernet. Both forced to Band 40. Both showing 4G+. Both connected to the same tower. Both using the unrestricted apn. Both using the same simcard just swapped the sim when doing to the tests. Both speedtests done to exact same server and location. 5 x speedtest done right after each other and I picked the best one of each. The B618 always scored over 100Mbps and the B525 just under 100Mbps

Huawei B618s-65d:

View attachment 718332

View attachment 718334

8631492005.png

Huawei B525s-65a:

View attachment 718336

View attachment 718338

8631501200.png
SO Basically... the b618 is the better one to use then?

i currently have the B525 could i expect better speeds by just changing routers??
i get on good days about 10download and ALWAYS 1mb upload or below.
Forced 4g only and auto MHz

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Do you know which shop sells the Huawei B618-65d? Takealot also seems to have the 22d.

Takealot sells the 65D, bought one yesterday, check all the B618 deals on offer, 2 are for 22D, one for 65D. Check the product description for each.

Reactions: Azg

cavedog

Honorary Master
Takealot sells the 65D, bought one yesterday, check all the B618 deals on offer, 2 are for 22D, one for 65D. Check the product description for each.

Yeah looks like a reseller.

My mobile seem to sell the 65d which is probably Telkom stock.

cavedog

Honorary Master
SO Basically... the b618 is the better one to use then?

i currently have the B525 could i expect better speeds by just changing routers??
i get on good days about 10download and ALWAYS 1mb upload or below.
Forced 4g only and auto MHz

Well I would suggest maybe forcing specific bands before trying to buy another router.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur

10+10 - R99
20+20 - R199
60+60 - R399
120+120 - R699
220+220 - R999

Not badly priced month to month deals if you have your own router. :)
im not geek inclined like you guys but say i went for this option and shoved the SIM into my iPad 2 that lives in my Caravan.
Could i turn my caravan into a hotspot and use my 2 cellphones off it for the weekends?
i am currently spending R99/gig topup twice for my 2 cell phones (R198 in total per month for 2gigs) - Vodacom

PS Happy Birthday Bro :thumbsup:

cavedog

Honorary Master
im not geek inclined like you guys but say i went for this option and shoved the SIM into my iPad 2 that lives in my Caravan.
Could i turn my caravan into a hotspot and use my 2 cellphones off it for the weekends?
i am currently spending R99/gig topup twice for my 2 cell phones (R198 in total per month for 2gigs) - Vodacom

You sure can. These simcards are not device lock however the data only works on Telkom network so if no Telkom network is available it won't work on roaming. To test I would suggest getting a prepaid simcard. Block TelkomSA -R By dialing *180# answer # then select the option for blocking TelkomSA -R. That will block roaming and only allow you access to the Telkom network. In that way you can test network coverage. If it works then these deals will work too.

Dan C

Honorary Master
I

If you push the braai closer to your caravan , it should work.

Pineapple Smurf

You sure can. These simcards are not device lock however the data only works on Telkom network so if no Telkom network is available it won't work on roaming. To test I would suggest getting a prepaid simcard. Block TelkomSA -R By dialing *180# answer # then select the option for blocking TelkomSA -R. That will block roaming and only allow you access to the Telkom network. In that way you can test network coverage. If it works then these deals will work too.

aaaaahhhh phucking awesome advice, i never saw that cumming, love that idea of trying it out as Theewaterskloof is not known for good reception anyways, Telkom might suck balls :thumbsup:
I

If you push the braai closer to your caravan , it should work.
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

It is Fixed LTE, so if your device supports the required LTE bands, then yes it will work, otherwise not, is my understanding.

Pineapple Smurf

It is Fixed LTE, so if your device supports the required LTE bands, then yes it will work, otherwise not, is my understanding.
:ROFL: LTE? Licking Turtles Eggs?
I was brought up with DialUp so do not care about speed, it must just work.
So what you are saying is Is there LTE in my area? mmmmm.... great advice, i must google more info to see, many thanx for that :thumbsup:

johnjm

Expert Member
I had the sim I got in my phone for most of the day after receiving it yesterday. Swapped back my other sim before I went home form work. Placed the sim I got into my spare phone at home and to my surprise it was activated.

Surprised to find LIT video activated on the sim. Here's the sms:
"LIT Video successfully enabled. To disable, use your preferred self-service channel"

Tested it (from the phone) and works with default 'internet' apn. Will test 'unrestricted' apn later.
Explain the unrestricted APN? Why is it needed?

hackerjargon

Explain the unrestricted APN? Why is it needed?

Thats if you want to connect to your stuff at home over the internet. It's only needed for that. Eg. You maybe want to connect to your cctv system at home.

With just 'internet' as apn, telkom restricts this. So its not needed if you don't need conntect to your stuff at home.

johnjm

Expert Member
Thats if you want to connect to your stuff at home over the internet. It's only needed for that. Eg. You maybe want to connect to your cctv system at home.

With just 'internet' as apn, telkom restricts this. So its not needed if you don't need conntect to your stuff at home.
Do I ask telkom for this unrestricted APN?

RedViking

Nord of the South
Unfortunately speeds on Telkom LTE is most of the time slower than ADSL and highly unreliable. You probably need to live right next to a tower to get good speed and hope Peak time it is still usable.

Anyone who recently got these deals that get more than 1MB upload and 10MB download consistently?