Axxess Sim only Telkom LTE starting at R99 pm

ReeceDBN031

Expert Member
Well I would suggest maybe forcing specific bands before trying to buy another router.
I have tried forcing.. one band gives better download other better upload ..
currently on auto now getting 14mbs download 1.5mb upload

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Started testing the Telkom LTE in my area in Centurion and have to say I am not too impressed with speeds.

Averaging DL @ 4-7Mb/s and UL @ 8-13Mb/s with router showing 4G+ -> I am running a 618B-22d though so am forced to run on the 1800mhz band the whole time. Peak times the DL drops to around 2-3Mb/s with UL remaining steady. Anyone have any experience in changing to the 2600mhz (Telkom only?) band for better throughput?

My signal is very strong across the ranges but I am not sure whether it's due to Telkom roaming. Can I test roaming feature using the internal USSD function in the router?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Unfortunately speeds on Telkom LTE is most of the time slower than ADSL and highly unreliable. You probably need to live right next to a tower to get good speed and hope Peak time it is still usable.

Anyone who recently got these deals that get more than 1MB upload and 10MB download consistently?

No idea, as yet, will get a SIM this afternoon on way home, and then wait for my router to arrive from Takealot on Monday. Then it will be play time.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I have tried forcing.. one band gives better download other better upload ..
currently on auto now getting 14mbs download 1.5mb upload

Leaving it on Auto you let the router decide best signal so it won't choose the best speeds but rather best signal vs spectrum bandwidth which can end up being on a slow frequency. Forcing a band merely forces the router to the selected frequency. On auto it chooses one of those 2.

Started testing the Telkom LTE in my area in Centurion and have to say I am not too impressed with speeds.

Averaging DL @ 4-7Mb/s and UL @ 8-13Mb/s with router showing 4G+ -> I am running a 618B-22d though so am forced to run on the 1800mhz band the whole time. Peak times the DL drops to around 2-3Mb/s with UL remaining steady. Anyone have any experience in changing to the 2600mhz (Telkom only?) band for better throughput?

My signal is very strong across the ranges but I am not sure whether it's due to Telkom roaming. Can I test roaming feature using the internal USSD function in the router?

4G+ on the B618s-22d means you are using Band1+Band3 aggregation (which combines both bands). If that is slow then your only other option is Band 40. Since band 1+band 3 aggregation is available forcing 1800MHz only means you would lose the aggregation and be on LTE 1800MHz only. SO rather use the band tool to force b1+b3

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
4G+ on the B618s-22d means you are using Band1+Band3 aggregation (which combines both bands). If that is slow then your only other option is Band 40. Since band 1+band 3 aggregation is available forcing 1800MHz only means you would lose the aggregation and be on LTE 1800MHz only. SO rather use the band tool to force b1+b3
If I understand this correctly, the 22d is utilising both bands automatically...those bands = 1800Mhz right? It does not utilise the Telkom only (2600Mhz?) band?
The 22d doesn't support Band 40 so I should use the band tool to force the 22d to always aggregate b1+b3 correct?

Went_For_Milk

Expert Member
Got my router (B525) and sim yesterday from Afri********.... I Know but hey atleast it worked straight out the box.

HaNsA

Expert Member
Speeds are quite appalling

ISP:
Telkom
Network Type:
4G LTE
Band:

Signal Strength:
75%
RSRP:
-87dBm
RSRQ:
-11dB
SNR:
7.4dB

Despite the 75% signal

Ping: 35ms
Download: 0.61Mbps
Upload: 0.51Mbps

Can't get more than 1Mbps down

HaNsA

Expert Member
Cancelling due to terrible speeds, even webpages struggling to load , in durban @ 75% signal. Def congestion because at 5am get 10Mbps

ProAsm

Expert Member
Cancelling due to terrible speeds, even webpages struggling to load , in durban @ 75% signal. Def congestion because at 5am get 10Mbps
Try forcing to 2100 Mhz, I did that and its not bad at all, ave about 40 Mbps.
I used to get 85 Mbps of 2300 Mhz but that now struggles to give 10 Mbps.
On 2300 I get RSRP=66 and on 2100 I get RSRP=88, so signal strengths these days mean squat.

johnjm

Expert Member
Got the router kit for my folks new house. Impressed, just worked.

Didn't pay attention to speeds but streamed just fine.

Ernest Himself

My sim is active. Things I have noticed....
It will not "roam" on the Vodacom 4G or 3G, 65505 network.

Also. Some people talk about the network name as Telkom, instead of TelkomSA.

Im not sure of the differences there.

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Anyone have any insight re this?
I am on Telkom LTE via Axxess
Running on B618-22d, which I have read isn't the best as it doesn't support the additional Telkom band.
When I run Ookla speedtest, I average around 3-10Mb/s DL during peak and 12-20Mb/s DL during offpeak.
Recently downloaded some Steam games and my peak DL according to Steam was @ 71Mb/s?!?
Not that I am complaining but does Steam use a P2P path for downloading?

Ernest Himself

I see many people on Facebook commenting about the same issue Axxess Telkom LTE.
"Fast speedtests, but very slow speeds streaming Netflix up to 1Mbps."

I wonder if Axxess is controlling the speeds. Does anyone know if this Axxess Telkom LTE service runs via Axxess servers, or is it straight Telkom?
Is the Axxess Telkom Sim the same as a normal Telkom Capped LTE sim?

johnjm

Expert Member
Personally, when my kids were watching Netflix at 1080p it was 15mbits.

Doesn't bother me nor them. I'm sure different ports have better speeds.

I get my SIM card this week so will test.

Has anyone tried Google's speed test?

johnjm

Expert Member
Did one now on my telkom mobile. Not bad.
ea79a6af2aade264e95ad0cb091bbf3c.jpg