Axxess suspending account for downloading torrents

Fenix_SA

My brother downloaded the movie Salt, from a torrent service, the other day and we got an email from IS saying bla bla delete it or we will suspend your account. I ignored it like many people on MyBroadband, and then today i couldn't connect to the internet. I first thought it was a problem with IS, but I e-mailed Axxess and they told me that my account has been suspended for downloading illegal software.

This is Axxess' response to the ticket I created:

This ticket is in response to [ADSL Uncapped not working], created on Friday, 14th January 2011 15:40

Hi there (Name)

I'm sorry to inform you that your IS account was suspended due to illegal software downloads.

There was a warning sent to you on 7.1.2011 to your email address- (email address)

We can activate your account once you've replied what you did with the illegal software (preferably deleted).

Thank you
Regards,
(Employee's Name)

Since when do they actually suspend accounts for illegal downloads - I thought it was just an idle threat?

Has anyone got a similar experience with Axxess or any other IS ISP, or any ISP actually?

Last edited:

killadoob

Honorary Master
Cancel move to openweb or mweb.

I knew about sending emails but i never knew they were suspending accounts :eek:

Keeper

Honorary Master
Just say "Yes....Yes I deleted it alright, it was a k@k movie"

Fenix_SA

I think I should change to Open Web.
Standard Uncapped or Lite Uncapped?

Doesn't standard use Mweb and Lite use IS?

I'm sceptical about IS now

Fenix_SA

Just say "Yes....Yes I deleted it alright, it was a k@k movie"

I said I deleted it, and the reactivated my account.
But why did it do this only for Salt. I've been downloading other stuff for more than a year and they never sent me any emails like that.

grok

Honorary Master
Kick'em in their dumbest place & get yourself a less moronic ISP.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Not even any law here (last I heard) so them actually following the instructions of an American company is ridiculous. Cancel and move ISP ... hit the idiots where it hurts

nakedhousee

We can activate your account once you've replied what you did with the illegal software (preferably deleted).

Watched it ?

Neverwhere

you want to pirate, suffer the consequences

The consequences seem worth the risk vs playing Russian roulette with your wallet on crap like Salt lol. That kinda movie is destined to be downloaded and discarded. Now take something like Black Swan, that's gonna be bought.

snobee

I said I deleted it, and the reactivated my account.
But why did it do this only for Salt. I've been downloading other stuff for more than a year and they never sent me any emails like that.

I have been in the same situation as you. I received well over 15 warnings over a period of a year from Axxess over various torrent files I had downloaded. Remember, they are only taking notice of torrents that they have received complaints about (usually from the USA). So that is why you may have downloaded hordes of material, but certain ones you are unlucky enough to get "caught".
Like many others on the forum will tell you, I ignored all the warnings. Finally, like you, I received an email saying that I had downloaded a particular file, and my account woud be suspended unless I had taken measures not to do it again, etc. I replied to the person who sent the email, and sent the link to the MyBB article which was posted a few months ago about overseas companies taking a fat chance of sending warnings. I basically said, why bother about telling us to stop when there was no chance of it being a legal issue here is SA.
Anyway, Axxess replied and said my account would still be suspended. I waited and nothing happened.

I immediately also downloaded peer guardian, and in the past few months since doing that, I have not had a single warning from Axxess... and I download a few hundred gigs of torrents each month.

killadoob

Honorary Master
The consequences seem worth the risk vs playing Russian roulette with your wallet on crap like Salt lol. That kinda movie is destined to be downloaded and discarded. Now take something like Black Swan, that's gonna be bought.

Thank Goodness i never wasted money on that, big screen or dvd/blue ray

That movie does not even deserve to be downloaded. Thank goodness we can download movies, avoid paying 200 rand to see shyte like salt on the big screen.

StoneCold

Expert Member
Umm, why does everyone think Salt sucked ? I actually enjoyed it, but I guess its a case of different strokes for different folks :)

m0zy

Expert Member
My brother downloaded the movie Salt, from a torrent service, the other day and we got an email from IS saying bla bla delete it or we will suspend your account. I ignored it like many people on MyBroadband, and then today i couldn't connect to the internet. I first thought it was a problem with IS, but I e-mailed Axxess and they told me that my account has been suspended for downloading illegal software.

This is Axxess' response to the ticket I created:

Since when do they actually suspend accounts for illegal downloads - I thought it was just an idle threat?

Has anyone got a similar experience with Axxess or any other IS ISP, or any ISP actually?

You walk into a shop and put an item in your pocket and walk out. That is illegal. Yes it was on the shelf for all to see but taking it without paying is theft. Same goes for a file on the internet. Yes it’s there but when you download it without paying for it then its theft.

So the question is: How stupid are you for blaming the ISP for your wrong doing?????

They are not in the wrong here! YOU ARE!!!

Fenix_SA

You walk into a shop and put an item in your pocket and walk out. That is illegal. Yes it was on the shelf for all to see but taking it without paying is theft. Same goes for a file on the internet. Yes it’s there but when you download it without paying for it then its theft.

So the question is: How stupid are you for blaming the ISP for your wrong doing?????

They are not in the wrong here! YOU ARE!!!

Oh get off your high horse. If someone looks hard enough they will find something that you have done that is illegal, or morally questionable.