Axxess Uncapped ADSL: R99 per month

darkangel

Have OpenWeb not updated their site yet? I don't see the "Surf Only" accounts.

snapple

hi there,

I don't see any mention on OpenWeb's site. Have they launched a similar offer?
Also, do OpenWeb use IS as their backbone as well?

onerb

Look at the axxess lite packaga on their site, 2 concurrent connections with less shaping so it's better to share an account and it works out the same 196/2 = 98

g-d-zilla

As a pensioner on a fixed monthly pension (ie it does not have an annual increase), saving money is paramount. It will save me R100 a month to move to Axxess' "Just Surf". Thank you, Axxess!

m0zy

Expert Member
As a pensioner on a fixed monthly pension (ie it does not have an annual increase), saving money is paramount. It will save me R100 a month to move to Axxess' "Just Surf". Thank you, Axxess!

Have to agree. These days a R100 saving is a lot of money.

Ecco

Executive Member
Nice going Axxess. Cant move yet to you offering, but I have told all the people i know with adsl about this, and i am sure you will get some business your way.

Dan C

Honorary Master
... then why did wait for Axxess to bring one out before you reacted? That is like saying, "Well, we don't really care what our subscribers want, until they can get what they want somewhere else". Not good marketing Keoma...

I'm sure they didn't just wait for Axxess, more likely waited for IS to make these packages available. I'm sure they just resell them and you will see more ISP's offer the same product. But then again I may be wrong ...

Death

Ok,so i've been using this account for the last 2.5 days(R99 384KB/s account) and it's flying for me. No issues with it. Check my usage so far... Just under 4GB so far on a 384kb/s line.
Usage

K3NS31

Expert Member
FAIL - Normal surfing wont take up more than 5GB surely ? You need uncap for things like streaming , P2P etc etc.

Tell that to my friend who's using about 8gigs between normal surfing, streaming vids, and updating Crapple devices (2 laptops and an iPhone. Those updates are HUGE)

nerosa

You would be surprised to see how much bandwidth youcan use by just browsing. And by the way, Axxess is quite big now. They are not a small PE company anymore

Doober

Does anyone know how badly P2P will be throttled? Will it be completely unusable? I very occasionally download music and once in a while a movie and don't care if it takes a few days...

slushpuppy

Does anyone know how badly P2P will be throttled? Will it be completely unusable? I very occasionally download music and once in a while a movie and don't care if it takes a few days...

Hello I got the JUSTSURF 384k package on 24th september. Basically downloading is still at full speed but the torrent programs or P2P stuff I was running got about 14k/sec. Sometimes it would spike to about 25K/sec. But for some reason as of 1st October speeds have been awful. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing the same. Speedtest show a max of 5k/sec download now. That is dial up speed.

Maybe contact Axxess before you sign up to hear if they have the issue sorted out because I am still waiting.

Bosvark@

Expert Member
I purchased a justsurf 384k @ R99. The speeds were slow so I upgraded to 1024k just surf. No change in performance with speedtest.net barely loading.

Purchased a new 1024k service to see if there was a "fault" with the upgrade but seems to be on par with the 384k service on speedtests (including IS' own speedtest)

They better get their ducks in a row here or else - cheers...

Result for the 1024k service:

Download Size: 409600 bytes
Time Delta: 11.354089021683 seconds
Download Speed: 35 KBytes/s
Line Speed: 280 kbits/s

Ok I know these are heavily shaped etc... but this is a bit too slow...

@anonymous

384 justsurf fail

Terribly slow. Remind me of 56kbps modems of yester year. Average web browsing speed 7kbps - Adobe flash player download from Adobe.com 2-4kbps.

My first product experience from Axxess - unacceptable.

Moving to alternate ISP.

oltman

oh my word... a word of warning: i tried this out and it is totally shaped to death. sites like mybroadband.co.za and facebook works 100% as expected, yet youtube, Steam, and even google mail is killed.

FTP to the IS server is a crawl, speedtest.net reveals faster uploads than downloads... that says it all. in my opinion this is a total failure...

i am not unreasonable though, and have sent them an email stating my issues. if it is not resolved by tomorrow evening, then they will have to cancel my contract.

too bad :(

oltman

update from Axxess:

We are aware that there is an issue on the Just Surf accounts with browsing speeds and web pages not opening.
Unfortunately IS have sold alot more of these accounts than expected and need to upgrade the bandwidth throughput for these accounts which should be rectified by tomorrow eveing.
Thank you

Regards,
Ross Lyndon Mortimer

cheekyadmin

AVOID - totally shaped!!!

I was getting download speeds between 6 - 15Kb/s on 384 plan. Absolute ridiculous. When I switch back to their Lite plan, it goes back up to 39Kb/s. It's blatantly shaped.

I logged a call with them and for a week they were "investigating" as if it was unusual that the speeds weren't running at full capacity. After complaining and complaining again, today, one week later, I get this response from their support:

"Ok so then we can establish that it is not your specific account, when I asked my superior for an exact detailed description of these accounts I discovered that due to the way they are designed as they are not intended for downloading the max speed you would get will be 14k - 20k (for downloads). Your browsing obviously will be slightly slower than normal..."

Firstly - I never got that high for downloads. And browsing is degraded too. I can see it when browsing Facebook. Obviously, they see images as "downloads" so they shape that too.

This plan shapes ALL files and browsing naturally is affected too. The claim it only affects:
* P2P (torrent) software applications like eMule, Kazaa, etc.
* One Click Hosting - Rapidshare, megaupload, etc.
* Newsgroups" which is rubbish because everything is slow.
but that is rubbish - it's everything

I wish a lawyer would step in here - they are totally misrepresenting their product and wasting people's time in the process.

Avoid this plan people. It is a scam!!