Azure real world questions

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
I am doing my Azure certifications and starting off with Fundamentals AZ-900. You may wonder why an applications trainer wants to do this - and that is an excellent question. There is a very long answer ( a boring one) but the short one is I need to know how things work. I am not from a strictly IT background - though I have done a little of everything. But there are things I struggle with and learning just the words doesn't help me understand. So I have questions as to how these things are applied in real life. I am doing my exam on Thursday and I really would love to pass it. As you may know - they ask scenario questions. I need to understand in order to answer them.

1. You are running a webapp service on Azure. You notice your traffic is getting very heavy. Do you scale up or scale out? And why would you do that?

2 You have a website linked to an SQL database (could be a nosql one too) - as part of the SLA - do you include a Queue, or live with the possible downtime? How do you prevent data loss or damage? And does the Queue add to your costs significantly ?

3. If you are working for a South African company - which region do you use? As you know - not all services are available in SA as yet and Covid has slowed things down considerably.

That's all for now.

Lord Flacko

Expert Member
Hi I have a few certifications both Azure and AWS.

Have you gone through Microsoft Learn to prepare ?

Scroll down to Learning Path and complete those sections.

You can also use the below study guide :

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
Hi I have a few certifications both Azure and AWS.

Have you gone through Microsoft Learn to prepare ?

Scroll down to Learning Path and complete those sections.

You can also use the below study guide :

Yes nearly done with MS Learn. That is what brought up the questions.

Thanks for the study guide. Will definitely use it. I have the manual and have attended VILT - I just like to double check what I think I know.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Azure is a great way to spend dedicated server type money on a 2 core vps.

I gather from this that AWS is the go to these days? Is Azure history or? Just curious :D

Edit: Founds this. I'm clueless on AWS so this is quite informative.

Bobbin

Executive Member
I gather from this that AWS is the go to these days? Is Azure history or? Just curious :D

Edit: Founds this. I'm clueless on AWS so this is quite informative.

Azure has the Microsoft ecosystem advantage. It's a case of once you buy into one side of Microsoft, it sometimes makes less sense to use another provider for other things (Although I'm sure there are means and ways).

For example if you already have a Microsoft Tenant for email and sharepoint and licensing (which already integrates with Azure AD), then may as well also stick to the same Tenant for all other things Azure as well.

Less complexity, fewer invoices, more integration, less skillset spread.

For more bespoke hosting requirements though, I'd probably lean toward AWS.

Last edited:

JohnMao

Executive Member
...and you have Azure Stack available which is a seamless integration into off-prem Azure.

randomcat

Expert Member
I am doing my Azure certifications and starting off with Fundamentals AZ-900. You may wonder why an applications trainer wants to do this - and that is an excellent question. There is a very long answer ( a boring one) but the short one is I need to know how things work. I am not from a strictly IT background - though I have done a little of everything. But there are things I struggle with and learning just the words doesn't help me understand. So I have questions as to how these things are applied in real life. I am doing my exam on Thursday and I really would love to pass it. As you may know - they ask scenario questions. I need to understand in order to answer them.

1. You are running a webapp service on Azure. You notice your traffic is getting very heavy. Do you scale up or scale out? And why would you do that?

2 You have a website linked to an SQL database (could be a nosql one too) - as part of the SLA - do you include a Queue, or live with the possible downtime? How do you prevent data loss or damage? And does the Queue add to your costs significantly ?

3. If you are working for a South African company - which region do you use? As you know - not all services are available in SA as yet and Covid has slowed things down considerably.

That's all for now.
Did you pass and how was it?

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
Did you pass and how was it?
No I did not - failed on the licencing section by 2 percent. Going to rewrite but having trouble rebooking. Will have to phone them.
I did not realise the licencing section would be that important - but then there are different sets of questions.

randomcat

Expert Member
No I did not - failed on the licencing section by 2 percent. Going to rewrite but having trouble rebooking. Will have to phone them.
I did not realise the licencing section would be that important - but then there are different sets of questions.
Shoot, that sucks. Did you write in a center or online?
Try learning with this:

Lord Flacko

Expert Member
Take a look at your score report, examine the “Performance by exam section”. That will show you the areas you need to focus on.

I passed both the AZ-104 (Azure Administrator Associate) & AZ-500 (Azure Security Engineer Associate) not too long ago, these were tough for associate level exams.

You might want to use multiple resources to learn from. You can also take the exam from home. It’s not a bad experience.

JohnMao

Executive Member
If you want learning material, Microsoft's stuff is decent. BUT...A Cloud Guru has the best you can find in terms of training and sandboxing etc.

randomcat

Expert Member
I just scraped a pass this morning. It was harder than I expected. I forgot about it for a few months. On Friday I was like **** it, let me just book it or it won't get done. Got around 730/1000 points :p

mojoman

Expert Member
I took the 104 back in June....Was a bit harder than the CompTIA things I have done but the questions are just as long winded and tedious..But wasnt overly hard if you have put the work in. I found it quite interesting and this helped me focus.

I used the MS learning route as well as a course I found on Udemy...I had received a discounted exam voucher so I thought what the hell...lets give it a bash..The only cloud experience I have is from my security studies and messing about online....Make sure you have a Azure account and get playing!
I would have just done the AZ900 for interest sake if it wasnt for the voucher...

Im now doing thje AWS cert (as again I found a discounted exam voucher...when we pay in US$ every cent counts!)....passing the days while I sit unemployed..... ;)

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Whizlabs offers dummy-exams that are pretty good for most of the AZ subjects to get a feel for the question styles

ubercal

Expert Member
the real question is do you want to get the paper cert or do you actually want to learn how to work in azure ?

randomcat

Expert Member
I took the 104 back in June....Was a bit harder than the CompTIA things I have done but the questions are just as long winded and tedious..But wasnt overly hard if you have put the work in. I found it quite interesting and this helped me focus.

I used the MS learning route as well as a course I found on Udemy...I had received a discounted exam voucher so I thought what the hell...lets give it a bash..The only cloud experience I have is from my security studies and messing about online....Make sure you have a Azure account and get playing!
I would have just done the AZ900 for interest sake if it wasnt for the voucher...

Im now doing thje AWS cert (as again I found a discounted exam voucher...when we pay in US$ every cent counts!)....passing the days while I sit unemployed..... ;)
I did it because I got a discount. I want to do some AWS certs also.