B-grade movie influx. 2020

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Ok.

I'm a movie watcher.
I really enjoy a solid feature length film.

I'm getting rather peeved at the influx of B-grade movies during this pandemic. (first world problems, I know).

It's not just that it's of low production value. The stories, actors and cinematics are bad beyond belief.

If they had to choose a year where the worst B-grade movies were ever released, it would be now.

I also can't understand how proper studios like Universal, WB, Liongate etc. haven't released any decent films.
It seems Netflix is leading the pack here, which I'm grateful for, since Netflix movies are still of fairly good quality.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
I have to (mostly) concur.

I watched a lot of 2020 films & a large chunk of them fall into the "crappy & unforgettable" category.

Not necessarily "B-grade" as many have a large advertising rollout, well-known A-Grade actors, big budgets & mostly good CGI (where applicable).

My complaint is the lack of originality & substance.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I
I have to (mostly) concur.

I watched a lot of 2020 films & a large chunk of them fall into the "crappy & unforgettable" category.

Not necessarily "B-grade" as many have a large advertising rollout, well-known A-Grade actors, big budgets & mostly good CGI (where applicable).

My complaint is the lack of originality & substance.
It seems even streaming services are effected by this.

These days there's better stuff on tv.
I think I'd rather watch Smallville on Sabc at this rate :p

badtrev

These are the movies that you would generally skip by in a normal year as you would focus on the good stuff. The big studios are probably waiting till people get back to the theatres before any big releases.

Pegasus

Executive Member
Ok.

I'm a movie watcher.

I'm getting rather peeved at the influx of B-grade movies during this pandemic. (first world problems, I know).

It's not just that it's of low production value. The stories, actors and cinematics are bad beyond belief.

If they had to choose a year where the worst B-grade movies were ever released, it would be now.

I also can't understand how proper studios like Universal, WB, Liongate etc. haven't released any decent films.
It seems Netflix is leading the pack here, which I'm grateful for, since Netflix movies are still of fairly good quality.

Watch some old ones.

IndigoIdentity

Expert Member
It’s more about intellectual property than anything else, they don’t need to make good content to make money, they know this so all they doing these days is pumping out new IP which they will further profit off in the future.

Also basically just maintenance of old IP so they continue to hold the legal rights hence why you are all these weird story’s with combinations of superheroes and such, it’s a money making machine.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
These are the movies that you would generally skip by in a normal year as you would focus on the good stuff. The big studios are probably waiting till people get back to the theatres before any big releases.
Yep, I know :p I don't watch B-grade snot.

These studios are dumb in that regard.
There are so many streaming services/options available.
They would make just as, if not more money by releasing proper films on these services.
:) My "old" list is almost exhausted.
That's what I do mostly though.

rambo919

Honorary Master
Funny thing is there is also an influx of B-grade series.... truely terrible SJW one's half the time.

Pegasus

Executive Member
Yep, I know :p I don't watch B-grade snot.

These studios are dumb in that regard.
There are so many streaming services/options available.
They would make just as, if not more money by releasing proper films on these services.

:) My "old" list is almost exhausted.
That's what I do mostly though.

I have been watching some movies from the 30’s through 60’s.
People like

Carey Grant
Sophia Loren
Olson Welles
Marlon Brando
David Niven
Alfred Hitchcock
Humphrey Bogart
Peter Sellers
Steve McQueen
Clint Eastwood
James Stewart

made some good movies.

Better than Marvel and DC type movies anyway...

livw88

Ok.

I'm a movie watcher.

I feel your pain, really missing some decent movies too. I've been going back into my collection and I'm re-watching a lot of stuff from my childhood I haven't seen in decades. Some did not age well. I even tried watching more foreign films with subtitles, but its not the same. Watching a proper samurai movie with a South African accent "talking" it in my head just feels weird.

I guess the big studios don't want to release movies outside of cinemas now, as they make big bucks there (each seat has to pay to watch) instead of releasing digitally (one guy pays for the whole house or just pirates it). Hopefully 2021 will see some good stuff come out again.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I feel your pain, really missing some decent movies too. I've been going back into my collection and I'm re-watching a lot of stuff from my childhood I haven't seen in decades. Some did not age well. I even tried watching more foreign films with subtitles, but its not the same. Watching a proper samurai movie with a South African accent "talking" it in my head just feels weird.

I guess the big studios don't want to release movies outside of cinemas now, as they make big bucks there (each seat has to pay to watch) instead of releasing digitally (one guy pays for the whole house or just pirates it). Hopefully 2021 will see some good stuff come out again.
Hopefully yes :)
If I have to see another B movie being punted as a 7star rating, I think I would ask anonymous or someone to DDoS them :p