B315 LTE Router - can I just use it as an access point?

Daruk

Honorary Master
So I have the B315 and have configured the WLAN as an access point but I have an existing ADSL router that I want to use for internet access. I'd like to use the B315 as a backup device in the case of ADSL or power issues (it's running on a UPS). Is it possible to use this device as a plain old wireless access point and have it simply relay DHCP or WAN traffic to my ADSL router? From what I can see, unless it's my primary WAN device, it's incredibly inflexible... any help would be welcome!

Huawei

Company Representative
Company Rep
So I have the B315 and have configured the WLAN as an access point but I have an existing ADSL router that I want to use for internet access. I'd like to use the B315 as a backup device in the case of ADSL or power issues (it's running on a UPS). Is it possible to use this device as a plain old wireless access point and have it simply relay DHCP or WAN traffic to my ADSL router? From what I can see, unless it's my primary WAN device, it's incredibly inflexible... any help would be welcome!
Dear Manicminer

Your query has been forwarded onto the Huawei R&D center, we will revert with feedback later this week.

Regards
Huawei

Frikkie09

Hi,

If you can switch off the DHCP function on the Huawei router, then yes, in theory; you can use the device as a WAP only.
On most home routers/ WAPs, you usually do not have to configure relay parameters at all.

If you have not already, try the following:
  1. Disable the DHCP server feature/ role on your HUAWEI device.
  2. Ensure DHCP is configured on your router.
  3. Configfure your wireless BSIDD on the HUAWEI device
  4. Connect to the SSID with any device.

You should obtain an IP address from the ADSL router, without any DHCP forwarding/ relay parameters configured. Aforementioned assuming you have both the router and HUAWEI device connected via Ethernet.
PS. Your HUAWEI router does not even have to be on the same subnet or IP range for this to work, although it helps for management purposes.

I have done a similar setup with NETGEAR devices in the past.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Hi,

*snip*
Whilst normally true,I did try a month ago to configure a b315 to act as a AP and merely sit on the network,but any device connecting over Wifi would be issued _no_ IP Address,manual ip worked fine,and dhcp continued to work over wired/other APs on the same network and it doesn't offer relay

*Normal RAIN LTE Firmware

There weren't any firmware updates at the time either

Frikkie09

Whilst normally true,I did try a month ago to configure a b315 to act as a AP and merely sit on the network,but any device connecting over Wifi would be issued _no_ IP Address,manual ip worked fine,and dhcp continued to work over wired/other APs on the same network and it doesn't offer relay

*Normal RAIN LTE Firmware

There weren't any firmware updates at the time either
Wellllll, the owner could consider flashing the HUAWEI device with Open-WRT, bar the B315 is supported. :D

With this you could configure a proper failover and make addressing originate from the HUAWEI device.

Keep in mind that you could very easily "brick" your HUAWEI if the firmware flash process goes wrong.

Daruk

Honorary Master
What I had to do is as follows:

My existing ADSL router handles PPPOE. It also has DHCP enabled on the LAN side. I moved it to it's own subnet (this is required - the B315 refused to share the subnet with my router). I connected it via cable to the WAN port of the B315.

I configured the B315 (under Ethernet) as Dynamic IP

On boot, the WAN port of the router is assigned an IP on the same range as the existing ADSL router and it has the existing ADSL router's IP as the gateway / DNS server.

The B315 is has DHCP enabled and all other LAN devices access it via the LAN ports or WLAN.
This allows me to use the device as a wireless access point while retaining my existing router's function as PPPOE / router. I can probably hand PPPOE to the B315 as well if I prefer since the existing ADSL router is in bridge mode but I don't want to do this as I won't be able to use internet via the existing ADSL router's Wifi since I'm unable to communicate to the LAN upstream when connected via the ADSL router Wifi.

Only gotcha is that existing ADSL router is now not available via the rest of the LAN - only if I connect to it wirelessly via it's SSID. That's not a trainsmash for me since it's only used (Wifi) from the back yard while we're braaing or from my Gym. I only require internet from those two locations and it is able to give me that.

Daruk

Honorary Master
As I understand most/all devices with MODEM functionality aren't :p
Yeah, I'd even consider it with disabled modem functionality at this stage, but for now it functions fine.

Huawei

Company Representative
Company Rep
Dear Manicminer

When the ADSL connection drops, it cannot automatically switch to LTE. When the ADSL router does not have power or after removing WAN uplink network cable, it will switch to LTE.

Regards
Huawei

Daruk

Honorary Master
Dear Manicminer

When the ADSL connection drops, it cannot automatically switch to LTE. When the ADSL router does not have power or after removing WAN uplink network cable, it will switch to LTE.

Regards
Huawei
OK, that works for me. I really just wanted the access point for now while being able to test LTE service providers in my area before switching.

Jercs5

Hello how about hb315 router can i use as access point to hg658 v2.i mean i will use b315 as router 2 (access point) to main router hg658 v2?