B618 - Static IP for LAN connected clients

getack

I think I am losing my mind here...

I am trying to set up my B618 with a couple of devices that need to have static IPs. For some reason they cannot see the internet? I still have DHCP on, with the static devices claiming static ips outside this range.

No matter what I try, my static devices cannot see the internet.

Anybody with some experience with this?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Did you set the Gateway and DNS do point to the Router?

But the more clever way would be to make use of DHCP and just reserve the IP per MAC address instead of manually setting IP per device.

sajunky

Honorary Master

But the more clever way would be to make use of DHCP and just reserve the IP per MAC address instead of manually setting IP per device.
I don't think Huawei has grown up to implement IP reservation on their LTE routers.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I don't think Huawei has grown up to implement IP reservation on their LTE routers.
Surely not? I’ve never seen a Router not be capable of doing that.

Also referring to one of the biggest companies in the world as needing to grow up is just a little bit laughable.

Now if Telkom or some other provider went and broke the firmware by killing features that part I would believe.

Last edited:

bdt

Executive Member
Did you set the Gateway and DNS do point to the Router? But the more clever way would be to make use of DHCP and just reserve the IP per MAC address instead of manually setting IP per device.
Behold the B618 DHCP menu - in its entirety:

B618_DHCP.PNG

Yes, you're entirely right. And no, we're SOL; nothing even vaguely close exists with these things. Which is why it's so common/popular to daisy-chain these bloody things into a WAN router that actually does give you what you would think are de rigueur features.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Man that is ridiculous.

Are these “ISP only” devices? As in can’t buy them off the shelf direct?

bdt

Executive Member
Man that is ridiculous.

Are these “ISP only” devices? As in can’t buy them off the shelf direct?
Dunno about off the shelf, at least with the B618, but they certainly aren't ISP devices at all; they're pretty much end-user and dead easy to get hold of ...you want I sell you one? :erm: :D

Set the fixed IP's outside of the DHCP range? Set DHCP to 110-120 or something and the fixed IP's from 111 onward, then set the gateway on the fixed machines to the IP address of the B618.

I run a router before my 618 to handle everything and then have DHCP on the 618 turned off with my proper router on a fixed IP.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Set the fixed IP's outside of the DHCP range? Set DHCP to 110-120 or something and the fixed IP's from 111 onward, then set the gateway on the fixed machines to the IP address of the B618.

I run a router before my 618 to handle everything and then have DHCP on the 618 turned off with my proper router on a fixed IP.
I suspect you meant <110 or >120 not right inside the range. :)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Dunno about off the shelf, at least with the B618, but they certainly aren't ISP devices at all; they're pretty much end-user and dead easy to get hold of ...you want I sell you one? :erm: :D
All ISP devices are end user devices.

I meant is this a device only offered for sale by ISP’s that have fiddles with the firmware or can you actually get an OEM direct from Huawei version that hasn’t been fiddled with.

By example the MWEB FON Router appears a useless piece of crap in MWEB form, but when you load the original firmware it does a lot more and does it quite well.

bdt

Executive Member
All ISP devices are end user devices.

I meant is this a device only offered for sale by ISP’s that have fiddles with the firmware or can you actually get an OEM direct from Huawei version that hasn’t been fiddled with.

By example the MWEB FON Router appears a useless piece of crap in MWEB form, but when you load the original firmware it does a lot more and does it quite well.
Ah, gotcha - no, in my experience at least the two Huawei devices (B618 and B315) I ended up getting doing the Rain thing sure as hell look Huawei-native - no third-party shenanigans going on at all.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Ah, gotcha - no, in my experience at least the two Huawei devices (B618 and B315) I ended up getting doing the Rain thing sure as hell look Huawei-native - no third-party shenanigans going on at all.
That sucks.

And I guess you don't have many other options either in a single device unit.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Surely not? I’ve never seen a Router not be capable of doing that.
I responded in context of "reserving the IP per MAC address". It is called "IP reservation", not avalable on B315, so I suspected the same on B618. What is mentioned later is declaring DHCP IP range, which all Huawei routers have.

It is said in OP that IP had been already chosen outside DHCP range. The missing part is what you have suggested correctly:
So why is this silly bickering?

PsyWulf

Executive Member

How have you setup the routers to do that? I have the same issue, I have the B618 and an Asus router (with all the settings I need) how do I get the 618 to relinquish all control to the Asus but still provide the internet connection?