Bachelor of arts

JenStef

Is there any other institutions where you can study for a Bachelor's of arts long distance except for UNISA? Majoring in Psychology and English.

cguy

Executive Member
None that I know of in SA. What’s wrong with UNISA?

JenStef

None that I know of in SA. What’s wrong with UNISA?
Thank you for feedback, there is nothing wrong with Unisa. I am just getting a bit worried at the moment as I haven’t received my Application status yet. I’m not waiting for Matric results, I matriculated in 2011 so I’m not quite sure why it still says “referred for enrollment’’.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
You can also study at the University of London although it is a bit more expensive. You will be able to write exams in Johannesburg and I think Cape Town but I am not sure.

You are looking at around R30000 per year for University of London part time study although to be honest I am not 100% if they offer a BA. They probably do.

JenStef

You can also study at the University of London although it is a bit more expensive. You will be able to write exams in Johannesburg and I think Cape Town but I am not sure.

You are looking at around R30000 per year for University of London part time study although to be honest I am not 100% if they offer a BA. They probably do.
Thank you Ancalagon. Do you maybe know if I will be able to use the degree for further studies? I am planning on completing the BA and then a PGCE.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Thank you Ancalagon. Do you maybe know if I will be able to use the degree for further studies? I am planning on completing the BA and then a PGCE.
To be honest, I don't know if UNISA will recognize a foreign BA in English when it comes to the PGCE, just because UNISA is well UNISA. But, in theory University of London is better recognized than probably all of our universities, so I don't see why it would be a problem.

If you ever do go overseas, I'd say that a University of London BA will be better recognized and worth a lot more.

Check it out

The University of London also offers a PGCE, but again I don't know if South African teaching authorities will recognize it.

EDIT: In terms of registering for a South African PGCE after doing a UoL BA, the problem you might have is that then you would only have done one official language, not two. What you might then have to do is do one additional official language to first year level to be able to register for a South African PGCE.

JenStef

To be honest, I don't know if UNISA will recognize a foreign BA in English when it comes to the PGCE, just because UNISA is well UNISA. But, in theory University of London is better recognized than probably all of our universities, so I don't see why it would be a problem.

If you ever do go overseas, I'd say that a University of London BA will be better recognized and worth a lot more.

Check it out

The University of London also offers a PGCE, but again I don't know if South African teaching authorities will recognize it.

EDIT: In terms of registering for a South African PGCE after doing a UoL BA, the problem you might have is that then you would only have done one official language, not two. What you might then have to do is do one additional official language to first year level to be able to register for a South African PGCE.
Thank you very much for all the information. I will definitely check it out :)

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Thank you very much for all the information. I will definitely check it out :)
No worries! I'm studying at the University of London myself, right now. So I can help you with any questions you have. Just bear in mind that you might be too late to register now - I am not sure.

Usually registration opens in September and you write exams in May.

Medlidsam

What qualification can be used as a bridging course for a Bachelors Of Arts?
Can I do a Higher Certificate in Education and then use it to be able to study for a BA?
Any other suggestions that wont take more than a year?
Thank you