Backup batteries for load-shedding - you get what you pay for

Are Lithium batteries compatible with e.g. the Mecer or Ellies 2400VA / 1440W inverters?

Cost of lead acid is never going to be worth it anymore, once factoring in DoD, twice as much lead acid is required.

Are Lithium batteries compatible with e.g. the Mecer or Ellies 2400VA / 1440W inverters?

It depends on the battery and its BMS. Some yes but not all of them.

Yes, the lead replacement types, but you only get 80% capacity because it doesn't charge to 14.4V (28.8V) which is actually a good thing, will make it last longer.

Last edited:
It would be nice if they could include a list of retailers that sell this equipment?
While my Lead acid batts are relatively new, I would like to "upgrade" to a Lithium solution, that works with the Mecer 1440 W inverters. Have budget, and ready to buy.. But where in Cape Town, and what?

Cost of lead acid is never going to be worth it anymore, once factoring in DoD, twice as much lead acid is required.
If you consider the battery in isolation sure. However, its not as simple as that as each system requirement and configuration may differ.

There's a guy in my complex who spent ~R150k on an inverter and batteries. Yesterday, JHB Water cut through the Eskom line whilst repairing a water pipe so we've been without either since then. Wealthy bastard spent all that money only to have no power after 6 or 7 hours.

Petrol Generator for the win.

There's a guy in my complex who spent ~R150k on an inverter and batteries. Yesterday, JHB Water cut through the Eskom line whilst repairing a water pipe so we've been without either since then. Wealthy bastard spent all that money only to have no power after 6 or 7 hours.

For that price, you can get an easy 25KW of battery and an 8KW inverter.

That would be more than a couple of hours. More like a day for most.

I'd tie that to solar too, for recharging.

R150k on an inverter and batteries and it didn't last 6 hours? I call BS or he was completely ripped off.

Back