Bad news about SA's Covid-19 herd immunity

Jetty

Yip
2 weeks after my 2nd Pfizer shot , I will live my life normally again.
Its inevitable that we'll all catch it at some point , but I'm not too worried about getting the sniffles.

The article is the usual doom and gloom though.
If 60% of the population is vaccinated and Delta spreads so rapidly , then surely between vaccination and natural immunity we would achieve herd immunity or close to.

Also complete vaccine escape is very unlikely, there might be reduced efficiencies but complete escape is extremely unlikely.
Here is a senior scientist that works on the vaccines that explains why : link

The durability of protection only lasting a few months is more fear mongering. Of course it's possible a variant could evade our immune systems but again its very unlikely.
Did you know that people who caught the original SARS virus in early 2000's still had protection from Covid , 17 years later : link

So in short , things aren't quite as bad as the article is claiming but lets all get vaccinated and learn to live with the virus.

Last edited:

blender

Glad if you like assuming people outside that criteria are happy to continue dying despite being less at risk.

Agreed. Seems like comorbidities aren’t as big a factor as it was with previous waves. Seen lots of articles where perfectly healthy young people are dying

quovadis

Executive Member
Sadly we don't really have much choice in the matter, you will die, you can't pick and choose when generally.
But you're making it sound like the covid is a guaranteed death sentence, which it isn't.
Of course we have choice unless you subscribe to the narrative that we will just try our best and that’s good enough despite death of others who could have better outcome if not excluded. The less people at risk regardless of their risk profile the better for them and the collective.

hj007

Expert Member
Glad if you like assuming people outside that criteria are happy to continue dying despite being less at risk.
I'm not glad about it. It's good the author says that those at risk are a priority.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yip
2 weeks after my 2nd Pfizer shot , I will live my life normally again.
Its inevitable that we'll all catch it at some point , but I'm not too worried about getting the sniffles.

The article is the usual doom and gloom though.
If 60% of the population is vaccinated and Delta spreads so rapidly , then surely between vaccination and natural immunity we would achieve herd immunity or close to.

Also complete vaccine escape is very unlikely, there might be reduced efficiencies but complete escape is extremely unlikely.
Here is a senior scientist that works on the vaccines that explains why : link

The durability of protection only lasting a few months is more fear mongering. Of course it's possible a variant could evade our immune systems but again its very unlikely.
Did you know that people who caught the original SARS virus in early 2000's still had protection from Covid , 17 years later : link

So in short , things aren't quite as bad as the article is claiming but lets all get vaccinated and learn to live with the virus.
Are there no links other than Twitter links?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I posted this months ago.
The herd immunity calc is a simple Mathematical formula.
And every time a new mutation shows up a new calc needs to be made. We don't even have to bother, just look the value up.
There are dozens of references available.
The answer is as it has always been.
Isolate the sick, quarantine the maybe sick and protect the vulnerable. That is it.
Now it does not matter what the tools available are the rules still remain the same.
So now we have vaccines. The rules still apply, vaccinate vulnerable who ever they are. And then isolate the sick quarantine the maybe sick.
Nothing complicated.
The vulnerable MUST take responsibility for themselves. And so must those designated to look after the vulnerable. The rest of the herd? Get on with life!

Last edited:

Kawak

If vaccines will only offer limited protection, more needs to be done on treatment to ensure the rate of death drops to completely insignificant levels, these treatment options but be as simple as aspirin or panado, otc at supermarkets, problem is, with and meds, an EUA is dangerous and completely unethical.

As with breakthrough infections, it is definitely a thing, more studies needs to be done to see just how big of an issue and how it interferes with our systems to result in severe illness and possibly death, if we want to go back to normal we need knowledge, not just a percentage used like a sales brochure.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Where are the experts on FB and SM that said this was just bad flu?

They are still there. You should read the comments on this article they posted on Facebook, truly scary how many “experts” arguing about it.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If vaccines will only offer limited protection, more needs to be done on treatment to ensure the rate of death drops to completely insignificant levels, these treatment options but be as simple as aspirin or panado, otc at supermarkets, problem is, with and meds, an EUA is dangerous and completely unethical.

As with breakthrough infections, it is definitely a thing, more studies needs to be done to see just how big of an issue and how it interferes with our systems to result in severe illness and possibly death, if we want to go back to normal we need knowledge, not just a percentage used like a sales brochure.
Yes! So the answer is to find proper workable treatments and drugs that will deal with the virus infection.
Instead, the entire world is enslaved by the idea that this virus is only controllable by vaccines. At the cost of developing treatments.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
They are still there. You should read the comments on this article they posted on Facebook, truly scary how many “experts” arguing about it.
So what is the accepted fatality rate for Covid 19? And dontbtell me no one knows.
What is the mortality rate?
Which one should be used to characterise this disease?
Then compare it with the flu.
And then tell us all if it is the same, worse or better than the flu.
And then, you will be able to state with evidence to support your statement that "it is just like the flu".
Not complicated at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swa

Swa

Honorary Master
Im glad the author notes it needs to be 90% of over 60s and 90% of over 35 with comorbidities that needs the vax, rather than saying everyone. Ie. Vax the ones that are at risk. That makes sense to me.
The issue is all of those are at risk but we just don't know who will die. So you have to go by the assumption that all can die and not just 90% of them.

Look I've never had a problem with vaccines but rather this vaccines or else nothing narrative. We should also stop talking about vaccine breakthrough as there's never been vaccine containment. The virus will continue to spread and mutate so vaccines won't stop it and it's irresponsible to say just take the vaccine and get on with life without any care in the world. That's a recipe for disaster.

What we need is a multi approach of prevention, protecting those really vulnerable, and then treatment.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
So what is the accepted fatality rate for Covid 19? And dontbtell me no one knows.
What is the mortality rate?
Which one should be used to characterise this disease?
Then compare it with the flu.
And then tell us all if it is the same, worse or better than the flu.
And then, you will be able to state with evidence to support your statement that "it is just like the flu".
Not complicated at all.

Yes! So the answer is to find proper workable treatments and drugs that will deal with the virus infection.
Instead, the entire world is enslaved by the idea that this virus is only controllable by vaccines. At the cost of developing treatments.

It's just so easy to sit at your keyboard with no qualifications except a half cocked brain and a youTube subscription. You all shouting about alternatives and criticising the efforts which are actually working before our eyes and opening up the world and returning us to normality. But not good enough huh? Are you forgetting the urgency and the Italian situation early on in this crisis where existing facilities coudn't cope? I mean where do we find these alternatives to vaccines and who is looking? And what time did they have to do surveys and collate more data? Time which could have let this spread even faster and led to a complete overwhelming of existing infrastructure. FFS, if it was up to you "experts" all moaning about stuff you have no idea about, so many more countries and hospital would have been continually swamped leading to many more people dying without treatment.

Good grief, people like you really are the worst.