• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Badly Damaged Norwegian Frigate Intentionally Ran Aground After Tanker Collision

so the worlds navies should get rid of all their expensive ships, and just buy old tankers, and outfit them for ramming attacks?
I mean if they will sink pretty much anything they encounter, why dont they do that?
I mean the greeks had ramming prows on their galleons, why cant it make a return?
Blame the Chinese and their fireworks. What you have to remember is that a tanker is a big oil drum - its solidly built and designed to keep a load of flammable liquids inside. A Frigate is a glorified speedboat. Speed and maneuverability is more important to it. On the open sea it will run circles around the tanker, and obviously blow it to pieces long before the tanker crew even knows its there.

But in a crowded coastal area, with lots of traffic, early in the morning... Someone made a error - most likely the frigate had no room to move out of the way.

Blu82

Expert Member
Given how badly this frigate was damaged versus the two American ones in their incidents, I think it says a bit about the damage soaking potential of the American designs.

buka001

Expert Member
so the worlds navies should get rid of all their expensive ships, and just buy old tankers, and outfit them for ramming attacks?
I mean if they will sink pretty much anything they encounter, why dont they do that?
I mean the greeks had ramming prows on their galleons, why cant it make a return?
Well in real war time conditions, Ship to ship missiles and Aircraft will sink any ship well before they get within range.

The tanker is 250m long, has a dead weight of 112939 tons.

The Frigate is 134 meters long and weighs 5290 tons.

That tanker would pretty much sink anything it hit. So barring other tankers and an aircraft carrier any ship is puny in comparison.
Well not quiiiiite, the Triple E Class container ships are more than 50% larger than the tanker (399m long). Fully laden they're about 200,000 to 250,000 tonnes.

Magnum

Expert Member
HIGH 5!

https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/security/2018/11/latest-frigate-helge-ingstad-sinks

“KNM Helge Ingstad“ sank deeper in the water during night to Tuesday, photos made public by the Norwegian Defense show.

Tuesday morning, most of the navy ship is under water.
10 wires were bolted to the rocks onshore, but several of the wires were broken during the night to Tuesday.

The photos from the Defense shows that only the radar-tower of the frigate is over water. The warship still has all weapons on board.