marine1

Honorary Master
This video made him look like an idiot.
He should publicly apologise to Shaun

[video=youtube;lB9vQsdSNYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB9vQsdSNYk[/video]

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Errr working? Some of us work for a living ;) Not everyone can spend the whole day on the forum. Thanks

Calls BS. Look at that post count... the stats don't lie! (or do they?) :whistling:

Abn0rm4l

That must have been a kick in the Ballz... :rolleyes:

... sorry had to go there.

DJ...

Banned
Great to hear an apology from Darren. I think many people underestimate the toll that this sort of issue can have on a business owner.

What really gets my goat in all of this is that many businesses are too afraid to admit to making a mistake or publicly acknowledging getting something wrong, to the detriment of their own staff. Had NetDynamix's response to this issue been more amicable, they certainly could have saved face and probably, a few jobs at the same time. I firmly believe that a good businessman knows when to leave his ego at the door...

Abn0rm4l

Great to hear an apology from Darren. I think many people underestimate the toll that this sort of issue can have on a business owner.

What really gets my goat in all of this is that many businesses are too afraid to admit to making a mistake or publicly acknowledging getting something wrong, to the detriment of their own staff. Had NetDynamix's response to this issue been more amicable, they certainly could have saved face and probably, a few jobs at the same time. I firmly believe that a good businessman knows when to leave his ego at the door...
I think as soon as those figures were brought to light the game was up, not sure what they could really have done considering they had been misrepresenting listener figures by 30,000x over the course of many months. Denial was pretty much the only strategy.

DJ...

Banned
I think as soon as those figures were brought to light the game was up, not sure what they could really have done considering they had been misrepresenting listener figures by 30,000x over the course of many months. Denial was pretty much the only strategy.

If they took the time to step back from Chris Grant's toxic ego-cloud, they'd have realised that there is no turning back once these sorts of numbers are exposed. What could have saved them considerable damage would have been to welcome Shaun's numbers and publicly accept to work together with him to rectify any mistakes on their part. PR is an easy game if you are able to empathise with your audience and be able to expect an opponent's next step - it really is like chess.

I highly doubt there would have been such a public outcry had they admitted to an error in the way that they reported listeners. They could have agreed to work with the DMMA to create a standard for the industry. They could have employed Shaun on a consultancy basis to help identify gaps in their measuring of stats. They could have actually helped redefine the industry. They had every opportunity to turn a negative into a positive. That, imho, is what separates good leaders from fly-by-nighters with no vision and no comprehension of the scale of their decisions. Chris Grant was simply out of his depth...

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
If they took the time to step back from Chris Grant's toxic ego-cloud, they'd have realised that there is no turning back once these sorts of numbers are exposed. What could have saved them considerable damage would have been to welcome Shaun's numbers and publicly accept to work together with him to rectify any mistakes on their part. PR is an easy game if you are able to empathise with your audience and be able to expect an opponent's next step - it really is like chess.

I highly doubt there would have been such a public outcry had they admitted to an error in the way that they reported listeners. They could have agreed to work with the DMMA to create a standard for the industry. They could have employed Shaun on a consultancy basis to help identify gaps in their measuring of stats. They could have actually helped redefine the industry. They had every opportunity to turn a negative into a positive. That, imho, is what separates good leaders from fly-by-nighters with no vision and no comprehension of the scale of their decisions. Chris Grant was simply out of his depth...

I think the sheer scale of the problem would have made that a little difficult to believe. If their numbers were out by say 10 000, thats one. But to be out by an order of magnitude, they are either dishonest or incompetent. Neither is good PR.

DJ...

Banned
I think the sheer scale of the problem would have made that a little difficult to believe. If their numbers were out by say 10 000, thats one. But to be out by an order of magnitude, they are either dishonest or incompetent. Neither is good PR.

Anything was better PR than the way in which they handled the matter. One can accept a little stupidity from time to time, so long as the offending party admits it and does something about it. And along the way, endears themselves to the public somewhat. I don't think they were in an un-rescuable situation. They simply dug their own grave every move they made...

rorz0r

Executive Member
Surely it was technically possible to block public access to that stats page on the shoutcast server and avoid this whole thing?

sin_x

+1

DJ...

Banned
There is another lesson for Chris and other business owners alike to learn, and that is to take what your lawyers say with a pinch of salt (to some degree). For all we know, and I am speculating here, their lawyers convinced them that there was a legal case to be had here. The lawyer is not able to fully comprehend the impact of legal proceedings within the context of your business though, and legal course of action should be a last resort, if anything.

Lawyers also need to fully comprehend the repercussions of their advice to clients, and imo, rather act as a consultant before publicly going forth with any action. If your advice rules out amicable negotiations, then you'd better be damned sure that you have a legal case before opening your mouth on behalf of your clients, otherwise you can severely damage their reputation. I agree that the legal team were simply fulfilling their mandate, however had they given this a little more thought, they could have helped save a long-term client rather than make a quick buck...