Ban on alcohol and cigarettes in South Africa remains

Hanno Labuschagne

Staff member
Ban on alcohol and cigarettes in South Africa remains

South Africans are still not allowed to purchase alcohol or cigarettes during the national lockdown.

This was one of the statements from government officials today during a media briefing on the country’s lockdown restrictions which will run until 30 April 2020.

While certain regulations have been relaxed, such as mines which supply Eskom’s power stations with coal being allowed to operate, the ban on the purchase of liquor and cigarettes remains.

Athos

I can't believe how big of an issue this is. I have not had a drop of alcohol during lockdown and guess what I am alive! It's a miracle humans don't die without alcohol and cigarettes. The people living in this country need to get their acts together and quit drinking so much.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I can't believe how big of an issue this is. I have not had a drop of alcohol during lockdown and guess what I am alive! It's a miracle humans don't die without alcohol and cigarettes. The people living in this country need to get their acts together and quit drinking so much.
Potato/potato, yeah?

I don't drink or smoke, but I fully support the lifting of this ban.

Athos

Potato/potato, yeah?

I don't drink or smoke, but I fully support the lifting of this ban.
Sure no problem. Only 1 in 10 deaths in South Africa is attributed to alcohol abuse. Lift the ban let the carnage continue during lockdown as well.

Source

Ecko_1

What about the millions in taxes lost? Doesn’t the government need money in this crucial time?
Talking from experience at a brewery only, but the excise return is done monthly when the beer leaves the warehouse. So for now government would have received excise for end of March. But with no production in April they will only feel the lack of sin tax more from next month.