Ban on alcohol and cigarettes in South Africa remains

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Hardly flattering for his Police Farce. Doesnt say much for policing prior to Covid now does it.
I wonder how the number, 200 000+ citizens that have been arrested/fined/charged since covid lockdown, compares with those arrested in the last decade for smuggling smokes and booze?

Police Minister Bheki Cele has said while organised crime syndicates have taken advantage of the lockdown regulations by illegally selling alcohol and cigarettes, the illicit trade existed long before measures were taken to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Supervan II

Cele does smoke....his socks:

I have yet to receive any receipt for smokes bought from the local novelty shop-owner. So, to get the details of my "supplier" they're going to torture me?

Makes the Apartheid government look like saints!

me_

Also probably mean the ANC will get under 50 percent of the vote in the local elections in 2021 I predict (only got 53 in 2016).
My take is this is the actual motive of the Zuma faction - push unpopular decisions to hurt the ANC at the polls and use the reduced numbers to blame Cyril and take control of the party and replace him with NDZ or Ace. I think this is all in aid of an internal party battle.

Nemus

Expert Member
What do they gain by this?
Control? Authority..
Millions? Who knows, just pisses me off that the focus is not on what matters but rather trivial bull..
Let people have their smokes and even drinks, I’m sure it reduce the deliberate civil disobedience

Solarion

Honorary Master
My take is this is the actual motive of the Zuma faction - push unpopular decisions to hurt the ANC at the polls and use the reduced numbers to blame Cyril and take control of the party and replace him with NDZ or Ace. I think this is all in aid of an internal party battle.
Felt for a while NDZ and Cele are throwing Ramaphosa under the bus by undermining his authority and contradicting his decisions.

NDZ plays the buckled over, meek and mild, subservient old mama part very well but make no mistake this woman is sly as a fox and and crafty as a serpent.

She's just a very good actress. Has many fooled with the theatrics but not everyone.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Felt for a while NDZ and Cele are throwing Ramaphosa under the bus by undermining his authority and contradicting his decisions.

NDZ plays the buckled over, meek and mild, subservient old mama part very well but make no mistake this woman is sly as a fox and and crafty as a serpent.

She's just a very good actress. Has many fooled with the theatrics but not everyone.
But she is not in charge of this shitshow by default, she was appointed by Cyril, was she not? Why would he sabotage himself like that?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I think the factions support these unpopular decisions as well. I saw the ANCWL and a few others backing them.
The ANC is governed by these factions not the voters. The voters just vote...

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Sure, but I'm still puzzled why he would place his biggest competition, whom he only just pipped at the polls, in a position that during a state of National Disaster effectively cedes his power to the other faction. Was it the head of states prerogative as to who was appointed to this position? Or and ANC collective circle jerk?

The only common denominator for us as citizens is that wherever there is rot and decay there is the ANC.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
We have been walking on eggshells for 25 years ... i guess we can start calling a spade, a spade ?
The Rooi gevaar we were warned about when we were soldiers ..... the thing were conditioned to believe ......
Well, the nightmare has come.

We can discuss politics all day long, what we believe, what right or wrong .... maak ne saak nie.
..... the fact remains, SA is in the ****.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Sure, but I'm still puzzled why he would place his biggest competition, whom he only just pipped at the polls, in a position that during a state of National Disaster effectively cedes his power to the other faction. Was it the head of states prerogative as to who was appointed to this position? Or and ANC collective circle jerk?

The only common denominator for us as citizens is that wherever there is rot and decay there is the ANC.
When she was appointed to Cabinet, Cogta was a backwater for failed politicians. Nobody could have forseen a national state of disaster with NDZ at the head. However that is the legal and constitutionally mandated authority. The shadowy NCCC is a whole different story.

The legislative process could have been done differently, but that would have required parliamentary willpower, so we have ended up in this position almost by default, not by design. The Helen Suzman Foundation has approached the Concourt about this lack of oversight, but don't hold your breath:

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Remove Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma from Cabinet
Petitions don't do squat.

If you really want this government to do something about it, its time to start with the only thing they do understand.

Toy-toy, burn schools or government buildings, block roads.
For true results you should actually start with her and other ministers houses ;)

gottagoon

Expert Member
A nice article from Daily Dispatch about this whole cigs and booze prohibition and possible motives behind it:

Reactions: B-1

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
The stupid is big on this one:
Shyte like this should be enough for cyril to tell this incompetent mafia Don to pack his bags. Someone in charge of policing policy in this country who is this monumentally clueless explains partly why our police are largely useless against crime....