Ban on alcohol and cigarettes in South Africa remains

Grant

Honorary Master
Okay, and who decides, according to your philosophy, what is rational?
It's not quite cut and dried like that.
Elected leadership would be entrusted to make such decisions. Should the decision be flawed in what may otherwise be deemed normal or acceptable, then that decision has set itself up for challenge.

**this does not require the creation a new nation

lexity

It's not quite cut and dried like that.
Elected leadership would be entrusted to make such decisions. Should the decision be flawed in what may otherwise be deemed normal or acceptable, then that decision has set itself up for challenge.

**this does not require the creation a new nation
You sound like a politician, underneath all that waffle.

Should the individual have primacy in deciding what he ingests?

Grant

Honorary Master
You sound like a politician, underneath all that waffle.

Should the individual have primacy in deciding what he ingests?
Let me stop you right here.
You may as well put away that bag of breadcrumbs, you are not going to lead me to the the edge of a vortex surrounding an abyss of circular logic.

lexity

Let me stop you right here.
You may as well put away that bag of breadcrumbs, you are not going to lead me to the the edge of a vortex surrounding an abyss of circular logic.
So, no, in other words.

You are not in favor of the individual, in this particular case, smoker, deciding whether it is okay to smoke. Instead, it should be up to a group of people who, for 5 years at a time, possibly perpetually, do not share the values of these individuals.

Grant

Honorary Master
So, no, in other words.

You are not in favor of the individual, in this particular case, smoker, deciding whether it is okay to smoke. Instead, it should be up to a group of people who, for 5 years at a time, possibly perpetually, do not share the values of these individuals.
PD thread - - >

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
They will keep the names of serial killers and rapists secret, but they just release the names of these cops. Just like that.
Not that I think it is wrong to make names available. It is just that their agenda is clear to see.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Nope. I'm not a lobbyist. I'm just someone who is relatively new to the idea, and who is impressed by the power it restores to individuals, over the coercive collective.

The idea of the Western Cape seceding, for example via a political party like the Cape Party is something I'm learning about, as one option. I don't think it is solely the Western Cape because culturally it affects some concentrated groups outside of the Western Cape. But, for the most part - for the moment, that particular campaign is about the Western Cape.
Remember that suggestion to move on?

MiW

Expert Member
Several ANC insiders this week said a looming reshuffle of the national executive was targeting Ramaphosa’s critics and party national executive committee (NEC) members who fell out with the president over the enforcement of Covid-19 lockdown regulations.

They said that Cele, Health Minister Zweli Mkhize, and Co-operative Governance Minister Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma fell out with the president after leading the charge against the uplifting of the ban on the sale of cigarettes and alcohol, both at the national coronavirus command council (NCCC) and in Cabinet.
A third ANC source said the delays in announcing the reshuffle was caused by disagreements over initial plans to get rid of Cele, who fell out with Ramaphosa over his public opposition to alcohol and cigarette sales.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Maybe, but I truly believe the ANC is in constant battles for power between the fractions within.
Oh 100%... And it's been done at the cost of billions to the economy and to many thousands of peoples lives... Makes my blood boil.

ghostRgg

I missed so much in this thread, where the hell are we now? Hope is lost? Court caws basically just being delayed for far to long. Updates, I need updates!

Also these illicit cigarettes made a friend seriously sick a week ago. This bloody idiocracy needs to end.

IceyPieQ

I missed so much in this thread, where the hell are we now? Hope is lost? Court caws basically just being delayed for far to long. Updates, I need updates!

Also, these illicit cigarettes made a friend seriously sick a week ago. This bloody idiocracy needs to end.
Fita lost the case with costs, Fita launched an appeal on Friday.
BATSA made an urgent application, was set for the end of June, somehow got bumped to end of July or August(I think)
On a related note, the high court declared lvl4 and lvl3 regulations unconstitutional but gave NCCCCCCCCCCCCC 14 days to fix or appeal. Dunno what or how that affects anything. Doesn't seem like anyone is taking Judge Davis seriously.

The last news we heard is that there are rumors about a reshuffle in the cabinet(ALLEGEDLY). DMZ has been quiet. Cele is still stomping around and CR is, I suppose trying his best to hold the line. They have a butt load of court cases filing at them.

Lastly, we still here, reading, lurking, hoping, bitching. I still come to this thread daily. The screen names I have grown used to here, give me a weird sense of comfort. I feel less alone. Anyway, hope that clears it up. Ktxbye <3

thechamp

Honorary Master
They will keep the names of serial killers and rapists secret, but they just release the names of these cops. Just like that.
Not that I think it is wrong to make names available. It is just that their agenda is clear to see.
People are named as soon as they have appeared in court, what agenda are you talking about?

IndigoIdentity

Expert Member
Remember that suggestion to move on?
Real question. How are people supposed to educate themselves if the sources of free information are stymied where they exist?

The title of this thread indicates to me at least that the discussion here is relative to the ban of alcohol and cigarettes. I asked a valid question regarding the tools that exist to counter what one might perceive to be harmful policies enacted by a government such as with the ban of cigarettes.

A user came out of the woodwork to disagree with the response that was offered to my question and it seemed to have furthered the discussion that was being had.

I assume some Chads or Karens possibly can't handle that every post within this thread is not an update on when cigarettes will be "legally" sold again and have chosen to exercise their right to complain as a result.

I can understand the position. That said however, I am talking here about what can a regular person logically do if you actually don't agree with the situation which is imposed on you in the first place, there are obvious answers to that question but I am more interested in understanding the options that exist which are less obvious.

The Charens are free to disregard comments which they do not share an interest in, they are also able to make use of the ignore list so as to create a safe space for themselves. They have some options to choose from when participating in the discussion but what options have you left me now that such conversation is being forcefully avoided for fear of whatever you decide needs to come after such a threatening comment?

So I am asking seriously now, is secessionism banned on MyBroadband as is in China? Is there a reason behind closing the discussion of this subject within this thread? Maybe more importantly, would you care to share your view on the tools which currently exist to challenge what you perceive to be harmful governmental practices or policies?