Ban on alcohol and cigarettes in South Africa remains

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Real question. How are people supposed to educate themselves if the sources of free information are stymied where they exist?

The title of this thread indicates to me at least that the discussion here is relative to the ban of alcohol and cigarettes. I asked a valid question regarding the tools that exist to counter what one might perceive to be harmful policies enacted by a government such as with the ban of cigarettes.

A user came out of the woodwork to disagree with the response that was offered to my question and it seemed to have furthered the discussion that was being had.

I assume some Chads or Karens possibly can't handle that every post within this thread is not an update on when cigarettes will be "legally" sold again and have chosen to exercise their right to complain as a result.

I can understand the position. That said however, I am talking here about what can a regular person logically do if you actually don't agree with the situation which is imposed on you in the first place, there are obvious answers to that question but I am more interested in understanding the options that exist which are less obvious.

The Charens are free to disregard comments which they do not share an interest in, they are also able to make use of the ignore list so as to create a safe space for themselves. They have some options to choose from when participating in the discussion but what options have you left me now that such conversation is being forcefully avoided for fear of whatever you decide needs to come after such a threatening comment?

So I am asking seriously now, is secessionism banned on MyBroadband as is in China? Is there a reason behind closing the discussion of this subject within this thread? Maybe more importantly, would you care to share your view on the tools which currently exist to challenge what you perceive to be harmful governmental practices or policies?
If you want to discuss a new topic, you start a new thread. That's the way it usually works.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
So I am asking seriously now, is secessionism banned on MyBroadband as is in China? Is there a reason behind closing the discussion of this subject within this thread? Maybe more importantly, would you care to share your view on the tools which currently exist to challenge what you perceive to be harmful governmental practices or policies?
This thread has nothing to do with secession ( secessionism is not a word ) so your posts are seen as derailing a thread.

Go start a Secession thread somewhere else. Simple really...

@bwana pls set this guy straight.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
If you want to discuss a new topic, you start a new thread. That's the way it usually works.
This thread has nothing to do with secession ( secessionism is not a word ) so your posts are seen as derailing a thread.

Snap

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah, IOL is lying.
I dunno about lying... stretching the truth maybe...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a reshuffle happen, but not in the midst of this, and not necessarily targeting those ministers. That would be political suicide for Cyril at the moment.

rietrot

Honorary Master
I dunno about lying... stretching the truth maybe...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a reshuffle happen, but not in the midst of this, and not necessarily targeting those ministers. That would be political suicide for Cyril at the moment.
Growing a spine isn't what I would call political suicide.

IndigoIdentity

Expert Member

That's exactly my point, how is discussing the ban on tobacco and a citizens options to counter it a new topic? This is literally the thread about the alcohol and tobacco ban or am I totally mistaken?

IndigoIdentity

Expert Member

Based on your previous assumptions I didn't have much hope for any additional comments but really seems you missed the point in my question entirely. Secession is one tool, one of many. We don't use a spade to ice a cake just like we don't use secession to react against a cigarette ban.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Based on your previous assumptions I didn't have much hope for any additional comments but really seems you missed the point in my question entirely. Secession is one tool, one of many. We don't use a spade to ice a cake just like we don't use secession to react against a cigarette ban.
So WTF is the point of all your secession prattle then?

IceyPieQ

That's exactly my point, how is discussing the ban on tobacco and a citizens options to counter it a new topic? This is literally the thread about the alcohol and tobacco ban or am I totally mistaken?
I think you just as much right to say your say, like the rest of us. On whatever-related topic, you wish to. I don't believe in silencing anyone's opinions as long as you ain't calling for not living anymore.

With this said, read the crowd. I have seen Lex in many forums saying the same stuff over and over. Hammering in opinions and getting the same responses. I am sure It will resonate with some, and others, i.e the regulars here, aren't really into the idea. None of us owe an explanation of why not. None of us think succession is something we, as South African's want. I was born in this country and here I will die, as a South African.

Now, the point the other members were making is, if it's something you are interested in, and passionate about knowing about, learning about, and discussing, then start a new thread. Where you can get the crowd, who are interested in the debate, to engage you, whether they are for or against. The reason why everyone is over it here is that it got mentioned and explained over and over, and the audience just isn't that into it here.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Anything in that document about the alcohol and cigarette ban?

PS>

Frankenstein51

Anything in that document about the alcohol and cigarette ban?

PS>

Not sure, just saw that bitches face and assumed, my bad if it doesn't

IndigoIdentity

Expert Member
So WTF is the point of all your secession prattle then?
Clearly indicated that my question was out of interest in my response to the comment that was made. Also clearly stated that I'd like to self educate based on the information available. Surely that's enough of a reason for a person or do you still need more?

The thing is, I don't get why the talk of secession is so offensive in the first place, to the point where a mod needs to come along and forcefully censor the resulting conversation.

And yet it's okay to roll ones face across the keyboard to make baseless accusations and hurl insults around to your hearts content.

Maybe I am being childish but none of this actually seems very sensible at all. Once upon a time I had joined this forum as it was filled with people who were actually knowledgeable and happy to share some of this with others, it seems however those days are long gone and what we have left looks a bit more like a pool of anger and toxicity.