Ban on alcohol and cigarettes in South Africa remains

IndigoIdentity

Expert Member
I think you just as much right to say your say, like the rest of us.
Well thanks, I appreciate the willingness to welcome me to the conversation.

The reason why everyone is over it here is that it got mentioned and explained over and over, and the audience just isn't that into it here.
But the thing is, have I not been a part of the audience too? I asked a question which was relative to the cigarette ban and the resulting conversation was censored. I can only assume that the ideology is not appreciated by all members of the discussion whose views might be taken more seriously then say little old me, it is fair but how much room does that actually leave me to have my say?

Misanthrope

Maybe it's my suspiscious nature or maybe just a conspiracy theory but it's interesting how often the names of Judge Presidents' Hlope and Malambo prop up in court cases against the current illegitimate regime.

Especially where the courts found in favour of the tyrants or cases are inexplicably postponed.

IceyPieQ

Well thanks, I appreciate the willingness to welcome me to the conversation.

But the thing is, have I not been a part of the audience too? I asked a question which was relative to the cigarette ban and the resulting conversation was censored. I can only assume that the ideology is not appreciated by all members of the discussion whose views might be taken more seriously then say little old me, it is fair but how much room does that actually leave me to have my say?
I do not think that anyone meant you must leave the forum or thread. I just think that(topic) was started a long time ago by lex and it got dragged out. You might be getting the knee jerk reaction from members due to that.

Think we all just need to take a breath and remember why we are here: To lurk, read, laugh, bitch&moan, and share news on what's happening with the in the kingdom of illicit zol. <3

IceyPieQ

Maybe it's my suspiscious nature or maybe just a conspiracy theory but it's interesting how often the names of Judge Presidents' Hlope and Malambo prop up in court cases against the current illegitimate regime.

Especially where the courts found in favour of the tyrants or cases are inexplicably postponed.
I was thinking the same thing. JPz Hlope ruled against Fita, right? I am hoping that CJ Mogoeng Mogoeng holds his feet to the flame with the tribunal he called. My only hope in our justice system lays in his hands seeing as he is the most outspoken and doesn't mind giving the ANC a tap on the knuckles when they are naughty XD

Grant

Honorary Master
Clearly indicated that my question was out of interest in my response to the comment that was made. Also clearly stated that I'd like to self educate based on the information available. Surely that's enough of a reason for a person or do you still need more?

The thing is, I don't get why the talk of secession is so offensive in the first place, to the point where a mod needs to come along and forcefully censor the resulting conversation.

And yet it's okay to roll ones face across the keyboard to make baseless accusations and hurl insults around to your hearts content.

Maybe I am being childish but none of this actually seems very sensible at all. Once upon a time I had joined this forum as it was filled with people who were actually knowledgeable and happy to share some of this with others, it seems however those days are long gone and what we have left looks a bit more like a pool of anger and toxicity.
You're still not getting it.
Read the thread title.

Nobody is stopping you or anyone else starting a thread on secession and discussing to your heart's content.

But imagine if you would, halfway through that thread people came in and decided to begin a conversation about Sony HD tv sets vs Samsung - and persisted with that conversation exactly as the secession thing has happened here.

Misanthrope

I was thinking the same thing. JPz Hlope ruled against Fita, right? I am hoping that CJ Mogoeng Mogoeng holds his feet to the flame with the tribunal he called. My only hope in our justice system lays in his hands seeing as he is the most outspoken and doesn't mind giving the ANC a tap on the knuckles when they are naughty XD
No - Hlope was the 1 who delayed BATSA's case till August.
Mlambo was 1 of 3 judges in the Fita and also now dismissed FF+ case against the con of the DMA.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Appeals, awaiting, delays, lost documents, more awaiting, more appeals, more lost documents. Same ****, different day.

I truly understand know why people in SA burn everything to the ground during protests. It's often the only way to be taken seriously and to have your voice heard. I really get it now.

Temujin

Executive Member

But it might be too late to stop the illegal trade. With sin taxes on cigarettes north of R12 per packet, the motivation to bypass tax is huge.

Cigarette smugglers have been running circles around authorities for years, including the South African Revenue Service (Sars), the police and whatever health departments oppose smoking. The strengthening of illicit distribution networks during the tobacco ban will make this even more difficult.

The R3.5 billion in excise duties referred to in the open letter is lost forever and losses will continue in future, while the government will look at tobacco companies’ published production figures and congratulate itself on its success in curbing cigarette sales.

In addition, the actual losses to the fiscus far exceed the R3.5 billion in excise duties. It goes without saying that those in the illegal supply chain – from the manufacturers and smugglers to the small shops selling the contraband and the go-betweens selling them on from there – won’t pay tax on their profits or deduct income tax from their employees.

Even once restrictions are lifted, many are likely to opt to stay in the informal sector and avoid the rent for big premises, the salaries for supporting staff, and tax obligations associated with being a formal enterprise.

The informal cigarette distribution network is probably here to stay.

It is bigger than before, and it can expand into other products – like alcohol, which is also highly taxed.
GJ NDZ :thumbsup:

Spliffcat

Executive Member
Common Sense and the Circus.
Never mind sense these twats are simply stupid.
3 brain cells. 1 steal 2 steal 3 steal.

Temujin

Executive Member

“Quite simply, the government can’t afford to bring the big companies down: Looking at British American Tobacco (BAT) alone, the state can’t afford to be in conflict with this massive company, as the state pension fund holds about 43 million shares of BAT at a value of R27 billion.”

“In addition, the GEPF holds 23 million shares in Reinet, whose biggest investment is in BAT. If BAT closes down South Africa’s state pensioners will lose way over R30 billion as a result of a conflict the state cannot afford to be in.”
More NDZ own goals :thumbsup:

IceyPieQ

Grand Inquisitor

Will just leave this here. So under what charges? I don't get it, with Judge Davis case, is it still effectively illegal to sell or just illegal but can't be prosecuted? I don't understand any of this.

View attachment 871289
I suppose bribery is still illegal.

Nothing of this ban makes any logical sense, except the piles of cash under the table.

Hephaestus

Forging
VIDEO: Disappointing Durban turnout for #SmokersUniteSA protest against cigarette ban

FEWER than a dozen smokers arrived early on Wednesday, 8 July, to show their discontent for the government’s ban on the sale of tobacco products.
The smokers left from the rooftop parking of The Pavilion Shopping Centre to take part in a slow drive convoy along the N3 to the Durban High Court.
Queensburgh resident, Dwayne Robinson, helped to organise the Durban protest as a member of the Let Our Voices Be Heard SA group.