Ban on alcohol and cigarettes in South Africa

Grouter

Expert Member

"Only someone who has spent decades in a blue-light brigade bubble, with an immensely inflated sense of their own self-importance and influence on public behaviour, could possibly believe that prohibition would be an effective policy. But then, governments that don’t trust their own people are also usually out of touch. "

MrR

Expert Member
Yes apparently the NCCC is meeting today with a potential announcement on Saturday. Not sure why Saturday, but some here have been speculating about the 15th of August for some time (not sure about the significance of that date).
The 15th marks the end of the previous State of Disaster extension and they'll need to announce another extension in order to maintain control.

VooDooC

Expert Member
Yes apparently the NCCC is meeting today with a potential announcement on Saturday. Not sure why Saturday, but some here have been speculating about the 15th of August for some time (not sure about the significance of that date).
Nothing will change, they will vote for the state of disaster to continue, bans on alcohol and Tabacco to stay. NCCC doesn't give a rat's ass about the people they just don't want to loose face and probably some corrupt money being thrown their way while the bans are kept in place.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Cos they need to leave a week so that Herr Doekiness and the Don can decide whether they're OK with the ideas.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
The 15th marks the end of the previous State of Disaster extension and they'll need to announce another extension in order to maintain control.
Yeah, that. But I've seen rumours circulating of an announcement with Cyril suggesting actual changes. I doubt Cyril would have a televised address to just announce an extension. They can do that simply by a government gazette.

ponder

Honorary Master
Yeah, that. But I've seen rumours circulating of an announcement with Cyril suggesting actual changes. I doubt Cyril would have a televised address to just announce an extension. They can do that simply by a government gazette.
Meh, don't trust a word squirrel says.

R13...

Honorary Master
He's expected to also announce an alert level change (change down, that is). Presume they're meeting to go over the proposals he asked them to make earlier.

daveza

Honorary Master
He's expected to also announce an alert level change (change down, that is). Presume they're meeting to go over the proposals he asked them to make earlier.

What does level 2 give us apart from family visits ?

IceyPieQ

We will be moving to level 3 Titanium - You can go watch sport, go to concerts, fly all over, load taxis to pre lock down (130%), holiday. BUT NO VISITING FAMILY for Sunday lunch. And no naughty zol and zama's.
/s

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
- Travel for leisure purposes between provinces
- Gyms (possibly)
- On-site alcohol consumption (hopefully). So you can finally some wine with your steak.

And some other stuff no doubt

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
- Travel for leisure purposes between provinces
- Gyms (possibly)
- On-site alcohol consumption (hopefully). So you can finally some wine with your steak.

And some other stuff no doubt
Yeah doubtful to be honest..

Leisure travel between provinces I see in Level 1.
Gyms is a tricky one to be honest.. I don't see why they need to be closed still if they can do adequate sanitising.
I honestly don't see alcohol being unbanned unless there are successful court challenges to it, or we get to Level 1.