Bandwidth Cap

remybfg10k

Expert Member
Here's a question, just want a reasonable answer please!

I understand that we are moaning and complaining about cap/bandwidth restrictions but here's another point i`d like to ask:

What do you need 30GB for a month (Legally)?

What normal (i.e. legal downloads etc) adsl user would need so much bandwidth?

Can you give some examples of what you could legally use 30GB for a month?

Or even 10GB?

Is 5GB enough?

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Streaming video, Joost etc. Video skype, downloading open source software, plenty of things.

Diabolic

game demos, updates, new trial software, you tube, playing online, hosting radio stations, skype, just to name a few.
if you live your life online its easy.
It all adds up at the end at the of the day

getafix33

Expert Member
Throw into that those of us who play online gaming, bandwidth can get eaten up very quickly.
I have family in Australia with whom I communicate frequently. I have to be careful when using my webcam as it can use up bandwidth. Give me a 30 gb cap and I will be happy.

remybfg10k

Expert Member
So lets look at it this way:

30,000 MB a month
1000 MB a day
Lets use a 16 hour online day
63 MB an hour

Now you cant do the following at the same time for example: you tube, playing online, skype.

Downloading game demos, updates, new trial software? Lets estimate you play 3 games a month, so thats 3 updates a month of 1.5 GB all together. Lets say another 3GB of game demos a month.

While your playing games you cant skype or watch you tube! So your saving bandwidth there!

Hosting a radio station is not a universal activity for adsl users.

Downloading free/trial software, how much software can you actually go through a month?

I`m just wondering if the people complaining they want 100GB bandwidth a month are wanting that bandwidth for legal data!

remybfg10k

Expert Member
Throw into that those of us who play online gaming, bandwidth can get eaten up very quickly.
I have family in Australia with whom I communicate frequently. I have to be careful when using my webcam as it can use up bandwidth. Give me a 30 gb cap and I will be happy.

How much bandwidth does say GuildWars or WoW eat up an hour?
Also webcam usage, what is your bandwidth mileage per hour?

milomak

Honorary Master
doubt anyone wants 100MB a month. I think 30GB total per month for those who truly use their internet connection would be alright. Light users on 10Gb and mid users on 20GB.

EDIT: When I say doubt they want, I mean anyone should reasonably expect 100Gb a month to be expensive

Tux

Software Communist
Let's see. I like listening to TuksFM, but if I stream it it eats up bandwith at 16.8mb an hour IIRC. Now let's look at the average size of a linux distro as well. My poor 3gb cap gone to schitte and I havent even done anything yet

Oh and lets not start on Youtube even... 30gb can go by real quick that way

remybfg10k

Expert Member
ahh i see we have an internet virgin

Ah no, i`ve been on almost forever, from my trusty US robotics 33.3k modem to my shiny V.90 that never really showed me its true potential!

I have myself downloaded terabytes of illegal things over the course of my internetlife.

I`m just really interested in the guys complaining and venting their frustrations that they want uncapped when it might be for illegal reasons!

Not trying to start a fight or take the high ground, its just a really interesting question don't you think?

Freaksta

Expert Member
The reason i ask for a bigger cap is because we are being ripped off at the moment.. You mite not need a bigger cap, then you can pay less or what ever. But what i do with my ussage is up to me, and there are endless things on the internet that you can use them for.. I would say a decent cap is 30gigs as said by one of the above users.. And yes, gaming and application updates use quite a lot of your cap, if you have ever visted youtube.com you will see that you could proberly use your cap up just on that..

And i know you said what can you do with it legaly.. Well there are many things, but even used illigaly it doesnt matter.. For what we pay we deserve a lot more.

Freaksta

Expert Member
Ah no, i`ve been on almost forever, from my trusty US robotics 33.3k modem to my shiny V.90 that never really showed me its true potential!

I have myself downloaded terabytes of illegal things over the course of my internetlife.

I`m just really interested in the guys complaining and venting their frustrations that they want uncapped when it might be for illegal reasons!

Not trying to start a fight or take the high ground, its just a really interesting question don't you think?

Yes i agree with you, but i think the majority of us are complaining about the amount of cap we get for what we are paying.. We should be getting a lot more, and that the point, doesnt matter what i do with it..

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
As said before : light users - 5 to 10Gb
Medium users - 30Gb to 50Gb

Businesses - uncapped

Besides, as resident BOFH I may want to host a server and other assorted thingies on my line at home (to play around with) so 30Gb might be on the small side for me - 50Gb should be just peachy then.

remybfg10k

Expert Member
Let's see. I like listening to TuksFM, but if I stream it it eats up bandwith at 16.8mb an hour IIRC. Now let's look at the average size of a linux distro as well. My poor 3gb cap gone to schitte and I havent even done anything yet

Oh and lets not start on Youtube even... 30gb can go by real quick that way

So lets say you listen for 16 hours a day, for the whole month, your still left with 46.2MB an hour, which leaves you with 22176 MB's that month. Give 10GB to youtube, 3GB to email and 6GB to legal software!

milomak

Honorary Master
So lets say you listen for 16 hours a day, for the whole month, your still left with 46.2MB an hour, which leaves you with 22176 MB's that month. Give 10GB to youtube, 3GB to email and 6GB to legal software!

The point you also miss out is the relative cost in SA of internet versus the rest of the world. that is what is also being factored into how much we feel we should be getting. And it also doesn't go to say we would look to use the 30GB every month.

a pet theory of mine is that the current use up every ounce of bandwdith mentality would end. if you don't feel you are being screwed for the bandwidth you are getting you are more than likely not gonna mind if yo don't use it all up.

Last edited:

ebudae

The web is becoming key to delivery

3GB of bandwidth is simply not enough. More and more companies are relying on the web to help deliver faster access to services and products.

In other countries people can watch copies of their favourite show online, legally, for free (provided they are willing to watch the embedded ads). Or thay can rent and watch movies online.

Apple is currently trying to convince movie studios to allow it sell movies online.

I want to download a copy of Ubuntu, but I can't because it would eat too much of my bandwidth. Instead, I now have to wait 6 weeks for a cd to be posted.

I recently upgraded my Laptop to Vista, I had to use 600MB, i.e. 20% of my monthly limit to download the new drivers and software.

Giving someone with an ADSL connection a 3Gig cap is like putting a running tap in a shack and telling the residents of that shack that they are only allowed to use one bucket of water for the month. (And I don't want to hear that water and bandwidth are not the same thing!)

martmeister

I want to watch the keynote speech delivered by Stevie boy at Apple. The last one was 1.5GB and I want to watch the new one about Safari and Leopard etc etc. that's going to be well over a GB. I don't want to stream it at 160x120. I want at least 640x480 (large) or even HD.

Syndyre

Honorary Master
Also remember the average household isn't one person, if you take a family of 4 a 30GB cap is only 7.5GB per person.

Diabolic

and then what happens when IPTV comes out here?
u gonna be happy with watching 5min of tv before waiting another month?