Bank Zero tested

Affieplaas

I received a link this morning to let me know I can open my account. This is done via downloading the TESTFLIGHT app from the app store (I use an iPhone). The email provides you with a code which you put into TESTFLIGHT and that then downloads the BANKZERO app.

It took me 3 minutes to open my account. The only issue I had was when you select between "collect my card" and "deliver my card" I first selected the collect option. The problem is that it prompts you to select a store where to collect the card from (I believe this is from a Clicks store) but there are no stores to select and I could not see a way around this. I then selected the deliver option.

I also transferred a few Rand from my FNB account to the new Bank Zero account. FNB has already added Bank Zero to its list of banks for payment purposes.

I'm keen to see how long it takes before the funds reflect in the Bank Zero account.

Since they use Testflight, the Bank Zero app is clearly still in Beta testing mode. I am one of the people who laughs at Capitec Bank's app (I do have an account with them). The Bank Zero app does have a similar UI experience to the Capitec app but "dumbs" it down even further. Gone is the Capitec account names list which is replaced by an account list that have photos. So you can assign each account a separate image. Interesting design idea ......
The UI is extremely basic but does have options for payments, transfers, send money and buy.

The app even provides for "business functionality" meaning you can add users who are allowed to load beneficiaries and create payment batches. The app then states that these users are not allowed to release a payment though as the account holder does that. They are clearly catering for small businesses that have a PA/administrator/bookkeeper.
Funds just cleared. So about 7 hours transferring from FNB to Bank Zero.

LJN_Tech28

We tested Bank Zero and it was impressive

Bank Zero recently invited journalists to a closed beta test and the experience was impressive — from opening our accounts and receiving our debit cards, to the features the bank offers through its app.

We signed up for an account and tested the bank's entire onboarding process, including its online Know Your Customer system (known as FICA in South Africa) and ordering a customised debit card through the app.
Geez,.
Thus far for me the the application is crappy
I've registered and received my welcome pack on the 17th and to my dismay, I ant access it as when I opened it mimics my background battery life screen and just gets stuck there.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled four times with no luck.
Technicians are unable to fix it thus far

Speedster

Honorary Master
Geez,.
I've registered and received my welcome pack on the 17th and to my dismay, I ant access it as when I opened it mimics my background battery life screen and just gets stuck there.
What phone are you using? Mine hasn't given any issues

BasBas

I just searched bank zero on the play store and it popped up. Once they add your email the app will appear in the Play Store. Didn't need any links for android.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Geez,.
https://www.capitecbank.co.za/ and https://www.tymebank.co.za/. Why muck about with a mutual bank?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Geez,.
Same here - Xiaomi Note 9T

Affieplaas

Update: I applied for an account on Wed 11 Aug and chose the "deliver card to my door" option. The card was delivered by the courier on Wed 18 Aug. I received an SMS confirmation of delivery the day before and also the morning of delivery.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I got in touch with the Bank Zero guys after they saw the video - this is a MIUI issue.
Sigh... and I have only been back on MIUI for a month now.

What I can say is their feedback is 100% spot on and they are very willing to get this working.
Had it not been for that I would have rubbished this whole thing.
But purely based on my interaction I am very keen to see how this pans out.

Xiaomi guys - hang in there.

TedLasso

Expert Member
I think it's absolutely bullshit that you need a Gmail or apple email account to open an account.

I have a both , but they are only used for the device , not for my day to day stuff.

Deleted their enrollment email - thanks for nothing bankzero. Was really hoping to test you guys out.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
It is because the app is not yet live so the only way to get the app is to enable it for given email accounts.

We do the same with new version of our software at my company.

I see potential here - and for me customer interactions rates highly - that is something they are on top of.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Got my card today and I am very happy. The whole process have just been seamless and well integrated. That I think is what a digital bank should aim for and in my view - it did just that.

As for the mobile app I am running it on my much older Galaxy J5 Prime and it works pretty well. I do get the push notification on my Xiaomi but that is as far as it goes.

Next up, I gave it the 550 test and will see how that goes. What is the 550 test?

Well in 2008 Postbank (SAPO bank) had some sort of promo going where if you open a saving account with at least R500 in you could win something or the other. So I did.

I did not win.

In 2019 when I got Tyme I decided to cash in my Postbank and move it to a Goal save. To my surprise the more than decade old saving with Postbank was worth R470 at the time. A savings account that lost money over a decade - go figure.

So I closed it and started a new Goal Save with R550. That account as of writing is at R644 (R644 from R550.00 = R94.15)

So I can now, over the next 10 years, compare how these to perform in terms of a saving experiment.

First and foremost I hope the Xiaomi issue is resolved.

Keep up the good work Bank Zero.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
futurama-good-news.gif

The app is now working on Xiaomi phones!

Just did a fresh install of 0.9.9.08 and it works just fine on my Redmi Note 9T

Apart from that I am very please with the Bank Zero experience thus far. The app and email notifications are a welcome change from the slew of SMS's I get from other banks. Makes it easy for me to setup a filter in Gmail to keep an archive of transactions.

Small things I like is how a payment notification distinguishes between a card tap or dip.

Keep up the good work. I'd say right now the app is where Tyme was when they started. It works but can be more slick and polished with added features like fingerprint sign in. Considering this is still v0.9 I think these features will show up in due time.

Screenshot_2021-09-12-08-19-57-806_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg