Bank Zero vs TymeBank fees and services compared

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member

hj007

Expert Member
Thanks for this.
2 questions:

1. Dont you have to go to a TymeBank terminal at PnP to set it up vs online only for BankZero?

2. What about business banking, my understanding is that BankZero offers cheaper accounts for SMEs vs TymeBank which isn't for businesses? Or can you do a business account on Tyme?

DanDango

Honorary Master
Thanks for this.
2 questions:

1. Dont you have to go to a TymeBank terminal at PnP to set it up vs online only for BankZero?

2. What about business banking, my understanding is that BankZero offers cheaper accounts for SMEs vs TymeBank which isn't for businesses? Or can you do a business account on Tyme?

On question 1: you can signup online for TymeBank or terminal at PnP. Signing up online you only get a basic account, you will need to go to the terminal for fingerprints and to print your debit card.

iOra

Thanks for this.
2 questions:

2. TymeBank is for sole proprietors only and you'd need to have a personal account with them in order to qualify for the business account. Don't know the nitty gritty re Bank Zero for business though.

retromodcoza

2. TymeBank is for sole proprietors only and you'd need to have a personal account with them in order to qualify for the business account. Don't know the nitty gritty re Bank Zero for business though.

I opened a Bank Zero account for my CC. Had to provide CK documents and proof of business address. There is an option for PtyLtds as well. Thyme bank doesn't have this option for juristic persons as far as I'm aware.

Also - what this article is missing is the cost of setting up the account. Its SUPER easy and all done from the app with Bank Zero. No need to travel. No need to print documents. FICA happened pretty quickly - within 12 hrs for me.

Johand

Expert Member
I was sceptical of Tyme when they launched but I got it as a secondary account the other day and it is awesome. Quick to set up and FICA and get a card. Funky app.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Lol Tyme bank is superior.

Thanks for this.
2 questions:

To get your card you'll need to send to a Clicks store anyway.

hj007

Expert Member
I opened a Bank Zero account for my CC. Had to provide CK documents and proof of business address. There is an option for PtyLtds as well. Thyme bank doesn't have this option for juristic persons as far as I'm aware.

Also - what this article is missing is the cost of setting up the account. Its SUPER easy and all done from the app with Bank Zero. No need to travel. No need to print documents. FICA happened pretty quickly - within 12 hrs for me.
Thanks - I'm curious as to how it compares when it's a small employer, with decent number of efts, debit orders etc.
The app seems iOS only for now though, but I assume Android will launch soon...

JustJack

Expert Member
Thanks - I'm curious as to how it compares when it's a small employer, with decent number of efts, debit orders etc.
The app seems iOS only for now though, but I assume Android will launch soon...
Android is available. I opened mine over the weekend

cavedog

Honorary Master
Tyme bank seem waaaay better.

The R79 once off card fee you have to pay to start with bank zero is quite a big amount and will take you a lot of months to finally make up in saving interests ect. Just go to PnP and get the bank account and card for free.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
I had a terrible onboarding experience so far with Tyme Bank. Firstly, I couldn't upgrade my profile on the app because their link with Home Affairs is down or something, so I had to drive all the way to a PnP to use the terminal. I went through all the steps, then it said right at the end that they couldn't upgrade my profile. Then I tried to print a debit card and that also failed. Now they have locked my account due to suspicious activity! Good grief, makes me nervous about the money I have deposited there already.

duderoo

Expert Member
I had a terrible onboarding experience so far with Tyme Bank. Firstly, I couldn't upgrade my profile on the app because their link with Home Affairs is down or something, so I had to drive all the way to a PnP to use the terminal. I went through all the steps, then it said right at the end that they couldn't upgrade my profile. Then I tried to print a debit card and that also failed. Now they have locked my account due to suspicious activity! Good grief, makes me nervous about the money I have deposited there already.
I would not be worried at all

Happy Days

Expert Member
I opened my account online and then went to a PnP store to do the upgrade. Tried several times to have the machine authenticate my fingerprints, but no luck.

Then tried with a kiosk in a different Pnp and it worked first time, with the card issued and account upgraded. Best advice is to try a different kiosk once the call-center unlocks you.

sutekj

The interest rates on both are neglible. So is R135 to have the card delivered, in the grand scheme of things. So based on that I'd go for Bank Zero. I don't want to go to PnP to pick up anything.

The most important thing is how much time and effort a bank saves you. Can I easily buy electricity on their online banking? How about setup virtual cards? I like the feature of being able to reject debit orders.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
The interest rates on both are neglible. So is R135 to have the card delivered, in the grand scheme of things. So based on that I'd go for Bank Zero. I don't want to go to PnP to pick up anything.

The most important thing is how much time and effort a bank saves you. Can I easily buy electricity on their online banking? How about setup virtual cards? I like the feature of being able to reject debit orders.
For you. Not the masses.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

Bank Zero rep? 3.05% vs 7% is not negligible.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Where are you getting better interest rates than Tyme Bank?