Banking on 5G – Don’t hold your breath

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member

By RSAWEB CEO Mark Slingsby

5G vs FTTH – it still appears to me that dividing the 5G throughput promises over any significant number of customers is going to deliver speeds similar to LTE unless there is serious tower densification.

The likes of AT&T are talking 20-times the number of towers to deliver on the promises of 5G, and that seems a long way off.

Daruk

Honorary Master
5G is not just going to be all about towers like 4G. Sure there will be towers, but it's going to be about hardware everywhere from bus shelters to street lights to roadside junction boxes, at least in countries that have bus shelters lol. Definitely denser deployments, but not just towers. The real issue with high throughput 5G is the short transmission distance requiring denser installations, requiring Eskom and battery backup... might work better elsewhere.
There is also the lower frequency, longer distance connections for rural areas of course.

Joseph matane

So the CEO is just diss 5G because he might lose subscribers to Rain 5G network, i think this is not MNO issue alone vendors need to come up with better solutions to address slower speeds in wireless broadband when cellphone tower is experiencing high volume of connected devices. If Huawei 5G end-to-end solutions works 5G will be a hit, besides regional cities need 5G because ftth is to expensive to roll out

Jordan_Za

I wonder if this guy has taken into account that the majority of people are on (What I term) "Fake FTTH" and the fact that PON FNOs have oversubscribed their OLTs via numerous splitters because people are all using 10mbps "FTTH".

Ramp all those people up to real FTTH speeds, and then all of a sudden the entire last mile suffers exactly the same fate as his 5G saturation scenario mentioned in this article...

But i guess, he won't mind, his subscribers' debit orders are still going to off....

cavedog

Honorary Master
lol this guy is a piece of work is RSAWeb even relative?

Quick google shows him a co founder of Octotel. I will let @Thor take the stage to elaborate how Octofail managed to perform for him and how Cool Ideas had to show them that their network is the problem and here he wants to point fingers at another company and technology while his own startups are a total fail. Hypocrite much?

5G is by no means a replacement for fibre anyone who thinks that is naive but that does not mean it can't compete with FTTH. At R1000 per month and with no setup fees even though it's a contract which BTW RSAWeb also doing. They sending you a 'free mini ups' which you need to pay for in full if you cancel before 12 months so basically similar offer than Rain except with Rain you return the hardware and you are sorted. With RSAWeb you need to pay to cancel.

At R1000 even if speeds dropped to anything above 50Mbps it still offers competitive pricing to FTTH and I'm using their Openserve Premium prices as comparison because that is the only coverage I have so the value for money will vary from area to area and cable provider.

He is talking about offering LTE speeds what is this guy even saying because if you want to throw that around you better offer better speeds than these so called LTE speeds you refer to buy RSAWeb sells 10Mbps fibre. Are they seriously saying 10Mbps fibre is better than 5G? The guy delusional. Maybe he should lift the rock he is under and actually see what is going on out there.

Edit: corrections not @Thor @ArtyLoop

Last edited:

irBosOtter

Expert Member
lol this guy is a piece of work is RSAWeb even relative?

Quick google shows him a co founder of Octotel. I will let @Thor take the stage to elaborate how Octofail managed to perform for him and how Cool Ideas had to show them that their network is the problem and here he wants to point fingers at another company and technology while his own startups are a total fail. Hypocrite much?

5G is by no means a replacement for fibre anyone who thinks that is naive but that does not mean it competes and competitively. At R1000 per month and with no setup fees even though it's a contract which BTW RSAWeb also doing. They sending you a 'free mini ups' which you need to pay for in full if you cancel before 12 months so basically similar offer than Rain except with Rain you return the hardware and you are sorted. With RSAWeb you need to pay to cancel.

At R1000 even if speeds dropped to anything above 50Mbps it still offers competitive pricing to FTTH and I'm using their Openserve Premium prices as comparison because that is the only coverage I have so the value for money will vary from area to area and cable provider.

He is talking about offering LTE speeds what is this guy even saying because if you want to throw that around you better offer better speeds than these so called LTE speeds you refer to buy RSAWeb sells 10Mbps fibre. Are they seriously saying 10Mbps fibre is better than 5G? The guy delusional. Maybe he should lift the rock he is under and actually see what is going on out there.
Fibre will always be better than wireless.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The implementation of 5G requires a total review of how telcomm infrastructure is deployed.
The spectrum can only be properly deployed by increasing the number of nodes, limiting the distances between the mobile devices and the nodes which requires vastly improved inter node connectivity, which only be done on fibre. And all of this requires a stable power supply network.
It most definitely not about just the number of towers that appear to be required as has been pointed out. That is an old way of thinking, clearly highlighted way back 2000' already. 20 years later and still those designated or empowered by society have failed dismally in realising what the challenge really is..
All you hear from the MNOs is the crying going on about spectrum. It is just an excuse because if they were given the spectrum tomorrow, they will just start crying about the next hurdle.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member

By RSAWEB CEO Mark Slingsby

5G vs FTTH – it still appears to me that dividing the 5G throughput promises over any significant number of customers is going to deliver speeds similar to LTE unless there is serious tower densification.

The likes of AT&T are talking 20-times the number of towers to deliver on the promises of 5G, and that seems a long way off.
Why would you be holding your breath :unsure:

cavedog

Honorary Master
When I compare Fibre vs 5G I look at REAL world tests I don't speculate afterall I do have a Rain 5G Huawei CPE and SIM right next to my 200Mbps Afrihost fibre on Openserve setup.

Real world latency depends on routing and transit providers. Rain beats most fibre ISP's on latency to EUW. That is a fact not speculation I have tested a bunch of fibre ISPs on the line. The only ISP that is beating Rain 5G latency to EUW is Network Platforms and marginally.

Rain 5G consistently has higher download speeds than my 200Mbps fibre line which is the max speed on Openserve.

Rain 5G is uncapped and unshaped tested on p2p and after 3TB p2p usage on Rain they do not limit it all.

Openserve fibre is more reliable especially during loadshedding. Rain 5G is inconsistent when it comes to uptime as 5G does not have backup batteries at the towers.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
When I compare Fibre vs 5G I look at REAL world tests I don't speculate afterall I do have a Rain 5G Huawei CPE and SIM right next to my 200Mbps Afrihost fibre on Openserve setup.

Real world latency depends on routing and transit providers. Rain beats most fibre ISP's on latency to EUW. That is a fact not speculation I have tested a bunch of fibre ISPs on the line. The only ISP that is beating Rain 5G latency to EUW is Network Platforms and marginally.

Rain 5G consistently has higher download speeds than my 200Mbps fibre line which is the max speed on Openserve.

Rain 5G is uncapped and unshaped tested on p2p and after 3TB p2p usage on Rain they do not limit it all.

Openserve fibre is more reliable especially during loadshedding. Rain 5G is inconsistent when it comes to uptime as 5G does not have backup batteries at the towers.
Now that's big lie

(Go look at all the RAIN 5G speedtests under the rain 5G thread and you will see it's worse than any fiber provider )

cavedog

Honorary Master
Now that's big lie

(Go look at all the RAIN 5G speedtests under the rain 5G thread and you will see it's worse than any fiber provider )
Okay cool you obviously know more than me even though I have both services right here right next to each other.....

If you are talking about local yes there is jitter so local ranges from 6ms to 20ms where with fibre it's a between 3ms to 6ms. On international though Rain 5G is far superior but hey you can believe what you want I don't need to prove anything just don't spread BS on the forum if you don't know what you are talking about.

Superjakes

Expert Member
I was expecting an insightful analysis about product maturity, hardware and spectrum availability and use cases. Life is full of little disappointments these days...

Reactions: Yuu

terencej

Expert Member
Okay cool you obviously know more than me even though I have both services right here right next to each other.....

If you are talking about local yes there is jitter so local ranges from 6ms to 20ms where with fibre it's a between 3ms to 6ms. On international though Rain 5G is far superior but hey you can believe what you want I don't need to prove anything just don't spread BS on the forum if you don't know what you are talking about.
+100 of what this guy says. I am seeing to many people just assuming things and then telling it over on this forum as facts.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Our vast expanse of a country increases our costs of connecting rural areas and our obsession with one-house-per-plot instead of vertical apartment living increases the cost of telecoms exponentially.
Now this is a really odd thing to say. I can't see how providing fibre to, say, a block of 20 flats, is going to be exponentially more expensive than providing fibre to a suburb of 20 individual houses. More expensive sure, but not exponentially more expensive. And I'm willing to bet that those people living in their "one-house-per-plot" would rather pay more for the fibre connection than live in some vertical slum.

irBosOtter

Expert Member

Well, I am a network engineer with 20 years experience so I am sure I know more than you.

Wireless will never have better latency than fibre, no matter what you think.
Even the facts on this forum suggests you are wrong. Go look at the 5G RAN thread, all the latency are on there, not better than fibre now is it.