Banking strike blocked by Labour Court

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

The Labour Court in Braamfontein has ruled in favour of Business Unity SA (BUSA) after it applied for an interdict against a country-wide banking strike which was set to take place on Friday.

In a judgement handed down on Thursday, the court said that the action was unlawful – effectively preventing what would have been South Africa’s largest banking strike in 99 years.

furpile

Expert Member
Sasbo secretary-general Joe Kokela said the union is opposed to any job losses at banks and other financial institutions.
He added that they will make sure that ATMs do not operate and that Internet banking is down on Friday, and warned people to withdraw enough money before Friday’s strike.
How would they manage that? Sabotage?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I'm a bit disappointed actually. This would have been the perfect opportunity to demonstrate to the unions that life would have carried on as normal if their members were striking.

Hephaestus

Forging
Never stopped the village people from looting and pillaging before, what makes them think they will listen to what a court says?
In RSA the law is not even a guideline

maumau

Honorary Master
Never stopped the village people from looting and pillaging before, what makes them think they will listen to what a court says?
In RSA the law is not even a guideline

Village People :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
This is RSA ... when do they ever follow what's written in black and white :unsure:

John Tempus

Expert Member
It might be blocked but I don't think criminals ever gave a damn about the law.

This is likely to continue tomorrow in some capacity.

Fjorko

Expert Member
I get it - no one wants to lose their job - it sux, but trying to sabotage the country's banking infrastructure ( which you will unfortunately fail to do btw ) will not give you your job back. You will just end up being fired sooner.

Sigh

Superjakes

Expert Member
Ironically this might lead to even more job losses if they decide to go through with it. "You're fired!"

We Love Bass

I get it - no one wants to lose their job - it sux, but trying to sabotage the country's banking infrastructure ( which you will unfortunately fail to do btw ) will not give you your job back. You will just end up being fired sooner.

Sigh
[/QUO

Sigh
I agree,so what solution would you suggest?

system32

Expert Member
Sasbo secretary-general Joe Kokela said the union is opposed to any job losses at banks and other financial institutions.
OK, so unions don't like job losses, what do unions do to create new jobs?
Has a union ever created a job (shop steward/union representative does not count).

We need union bosses to create new jobs.
What are unions doing for the unemployed?

Fjorko

Expert Member
I agree,so what solution would you suggest?
Like any employee facing retrenchment, you best bet is to try and find alternative employment. I know its not easy, but other than that - what else can you do ?

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
OK, so unions don't like job losses, what do unions do to create new jobs?
Has a union ever created a job (shop steward/union representative does not count).

We need union bosses to create new jobs.
What are unions doing for the unemployed?
don't come here with your logic you agent baastid

rubber_otter

Expert Member

The Labour Court in Braamfontein has ruled in favour of Business Unity SA (BUSA) after it applied for an interdict against a country-wide banking strike which was set to take place on Friday.

In a judgement handed down on Thursday, the court said that the action was unlawful – effectively preventing what would have been South Africa’s largest banking strike in 99 years.
!remindme 24 hours

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Like any employee facing retrenchment, you best bet is to try and find alternative employment. I know its not easy, but other than that - what else can you do ?
These unions are the under the mistaken impression that somehow it's the employers problem that their members are facing unemployment. Companies are not social welfare organisations. They exist to make a profit. They are not in the business of employing people who are no longer needed.

We Love Bass

Its always easy to offhandedly comment on something when it doesn't really directly affect you (referring to job losses),most of these bank tellers/managers have spent their whole lives working for these banks,they wont get employment easy anywhere else and possibly all they have is banking work experience,if I was them I would also join the legal strike I know its a kick of a dying horse but its better than nothing,always look at things from both sides as the saying goes "put yourself in my shoes"

Fjorko

Expert Member
These unions are the under the mistaken impression that somehow it's the employers problem that their members are facing unemployment. Companies are not social welfare organisations. They exist to make a profit. They are not in the business of employing people who are no longer needed.
Fully agree with you.

jetlee

Its always easy to offhandedly comment on something when it doesn't really directly affect you (referring to job losses),most of these bank tellers/managers have spent their whole lives working for these banks,they wont get employment easy anywhere else and possibly all they have is banking work experience,if I was them I would also join the legal strike I know its a kick of a dying horse but its better than nothing,always look at things from both sides as the saying goes "put yourself in my shoes"
Banking has been sheltered employment for a very long time (I used to work for a bank). Its no surprise that with disruptive digital models banks are under pressure, as they are mostly bloated and out of touch with modern consumers. If current employees couldn't read the writing on the wall over the last 10 years and upskill themselves to something more skilled, then that's hardly the employers problem.

There's a very good reason people don't create companies that leverage outdated technology, like paper print services, or old school film.. because the market is just not big enough to support them. Business isn't charity, they don't exist to keep people employed. They exist to fulfill a mandate to grow and make money, and if your career / skills path are not aligned with reality, then the only person to blame is yourself.