Battle of the browsers: who is winning in SA?

])ragon_\/oid

Expert Member
Doing my bit as well. Convincing everyone I know to use Chrome rather than Internet Explorer.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Lately I've been thinking of switching back to FF or maybe chromium...I recently discovered that google can track me if when using incognito.

koeks525

Expert Member
I use both Firefox and Chrome. When Firefox becomes a bitch I open up Chrome.

Ivanr

Expert Member
Absolutely nothing wrong with IE 11, don't need any other brands.

House

Banned
The only real reason why Internet Explorer still tops the charts is the fact that it comes standard with any Windows Operating System. This, however, is changing quickly.

As the Internet grew and website design moved to things such as HTML5 and CSS3, Internet Explorer stayed behind and was never able to catch up supporting the new developments. Not even with IE11.

Internet users see this and quickly change to new browsers.

It will only be a matter of time before IE totally slips off the charts even if shipped with new PCs.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
People trying to use and develop things like bootstrap, foundation and jquery.
People tired of having to support IE6 & 7.
Oh yes, developers should care. This graph does not show IE versions so its not of any use for the last part...

McT

The Humble Scot!
At work all our systems and applications need IE. And I am guessing that there are many other corporates who would much in the same way. Locally that would also skew numbers in favour of IE.

House

Banned
True, a lot of companies have built systems and applications taking only IE into consideration, but I find more of them, especially banks, retail and insurance companies who started supporting more browsers such as Chrome and FF.

However, it is not only web developers who look at things like CSS3 or HTML5. If you visit more sites than the usual Mybb, News24, Google, etc., you will find millions of other websites that are built on these technologies.

Unfortunately for IE users they often experience distorted web layouts and in some instances totally unable to view various content at all. So, your more experienced Internet user will know this by now and already have moved on to better browsers.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
The only real reason why Internet Explorer still tops the charts is the fact that it comes standard with any Windows Operating System. This, however, is changing quickly.
And CIOs in SA forcing their companies on M$ software where they can. These dudes have their heads buried very deep in dark places.

Arthur

Honorary Master
And CIOs in SA forcing their companies on M$ software where they can. These dudes have their heads buried very deep in dark places.

There are reasons. Businesses are not mainly focused on browsers, btw.

Last edited:

House

Banned

There are reasons. Businesses are not mainly focused on browsers, btw.
Oh yes they are. There is not one bank, insurance or retail company in South Africa that did not create a website that catered for all browser types. However, many of them are limited with design possibilities.

I helped 3 banks on projects related to Chrome and FF where they made changes to applications to support these browsers.

Many companies are focused on browsers. Browsers are important, not only to internal applications, but also to providing people with access to their online investments...

Again, you need to be a bit more experienced Internet user to know this. The average Internet user, like you, do not know much about browsers and the importance and implications thereof.

Last edited:

Arthur

Honorary Master
That's just banks. They deliver some of their services via the web. Most businesses don't.

damian24

I hate to say it, but that's just what I do. Not out of choice mind you, configuration management controls in IE (and windows in general) are far better by default when compared to anything else out there.

If chrome offered me the centralisation that IE does, then I'd be punting it...

D