Battlefield V is not selling well

Darkwing_duck

It's not selling well because it's part of Origin Access Premier for R200 a month. So no one buys the game out right they just "rent" it. Not sure if these sales numbers take that into account.

theratman

Executive Member
Consumer backlash about a less authentic portrayal of WW2. Because sweaty teenagers only care about historical accuracy...

They released a buggy game ahead of schedule. I'm a hardcore bf fan and didn't pick this up due to the problems, not the politics. AAA studios are in a very vulnerable place right now as consumers are no longer just buying on reputation.

wizardofid

Executive Member
The last EA game I got was Crysis 3 it was on a good special, haven't logged into origin in over a 1 year.EA lost the plot when it decided to pull support from steam, same applies to ubisoft haven't supported them since modern warfare 2, nor am I planning on downloading their crappy player app.

If you aren't on steam I don't support the company, with the exception of gog.com :D

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Just wait for the microtransaction update to drop and watch those feeble player numbers drop even more.

R13...

Honorary Master
for a "less authentic portrayal of WWII".
Is that really the reason gamers aren't buying the game? Seems a bit flimsy me thinks, but I'm no gamer (I don't like "movie/story" games - I just want to shoot at stuff not read and ****).

theratman

Executive Member
Is that really the reason gamers aren't buying the game? Seems a bit flimsy me thinks, but I'm no gamer (I don't like "movie/story" games - I just want to shoot at stuff not read and ****).
They bought BF1 just fine, which was also not the most authentic game.

agentrfr

Expert Member
Personally I dont care if there are robo-wamans swinging baseball bats in a European Theatre...

Battlefiled 5 was a half-assed, incomplete cod clone. It's just an unremarkable game, that's all.

Calling your customer base dumb doesnt help either too I guess

Pox

Expert Member
Bad reporting as per usual.
Sony and Microsoft don't release online sales numbers. These figures are for hard-copy sales only, which have been dropping for all games thru the last free years.

Not saying it's not doing worse than expected, but I am saying that using the hard copy sales compared to previous versions is a fallacy.

dj2381

Expert Member
I miss battlefield 1942 with desert combat mod the most, just hanging out with friends jamming on a LAN, as well as COD 2, BF3 was great but anything after that was a big let down for me. If only I could get the desert combat mod to work on windows 10.

agentrfr

Expert Member
Sony and Microsoft don't release online sales numbers. These figures are for hard-copy sales only, which have been dropping for all games thru the last free years.

Not saying it's not doing worse than expected, but I am saying that using the hard copy sales compared to previous versions is a fallacy.
I dont think so really. The vast majority of console sales are still on physical media. You also need to take into account how the game went on a 50% sale like a week after it released (not sure on exact figures but it was something like that)

Markd

If it was selling really well in any format it wouldn't be discounted by up to 50% and the earnings projection wouldn't be slashed by 350 million dollars. It's doing poorly for treating fans poorly and implementing a MVP that didn't meet expectations.

cavedog

Honorary Master
So that is why it's on special for like R320 for xbox one....

Servers are dead on xbox one. Maybe 1 server going at night if you are lucky otherwise you need to game on EU servers.

Cube3

Expert Member
I think people are tired for the 2 year hype fueled overprice buggy **** that gets released.

Personally I bought the game when it was 50% off, and have played it for about an hour with multiple crashes, no weapon bugs and other frustrating issues. I'll just come back once all that is patched, which should have been all fixed prior to release.

On the flip side I had a look at Black Ops 4 (didn't bother buying it), just watched some reviews and they are reusing the same old maps from Black Ops 1/2...

Glad all these gaming company share prices are shitting themselves, they deserve it.

Dolby

Honorary Master
They bought BF1 just fine, which was also not the most authentic game.
I'm not a hardcore gamer - but the more authentic (in terms of weapons, locations etc) the better. I play Sniper Elite 4 and I actually like the fact that every weapon or upgrade listed, is actually real / sounds real / (apparently) performs realistically too