Be careful what you send on WhatsApp

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm not sure how I feel about this crimen injuria stuff.

“Racism is a criminalised offence. It is something seen as offensive to your dignity. So, it is only fitting to go the Equality Court, because we need the dignity of our people to be fully restored. Racists are criminals and must be treated as such,” she said.
Why should it be illegal to insult someone's dignity? How do we define our dignity and what is insulting to it?

This guy's state of mind and his video are obviously repulsive, but he was just embarrassing himself on the global stage. He didn't call for anyone to be harmed. I have no sympathy if he has ruined his personal and business relationships, as that is a rational response from society, but I'm not seeing why there is a reasonable case for sending him to jail.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Adam's case will be thrown out of court. Just you wait. His lawyer will run rings around the NPA.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
She explained that defamation is defined as the wrongful, intentional publication of a defamatory statement concerning another person.

“Publication means that more than one person – hence a third party(ies) outside the defamer and the victim – has to have seen the defamatory statement for it to constitute defamation.”

However, if the person who received the message decides to publish it, they can be held liable.
But racism is a crime though?

Jola

Honorary Master
Waiting anxiously for black racists to be criminally charged ..............................................................................................................

Oh, wait, that falls under #BlackPrivilege

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I'm not sure how I feel about this crimen injuria stuff.

Why should it be illegal to insult someone's dignity? How do we define our dignity and what is insulting to it?

This guy's state of mind and his video are obviously repulsive, but he was just embarrassing himself on the global stage. He didn't call for anyone to be harmed. I have no sympathy if he has ruined his personal and business relationships, as that is a rational response from society, but I'm not seeing why there is a reasonable case for sending him to jail.
We live in South Africa BTW.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I just did, irt the history of the country.
Are you saying this is your talk:

But racism is a crime though?
Not exactly the elaborated reply to why it should be illegal to insult someone, in SA or anywhere else.

The question is basically why racism, sexism, homophobia and anything else that causes offence should be illegal.

Pythonista

Very interesting article. Golden rule : respect other people and treat them the way you'd like to be treated. can't really go wrong with that logic.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Are you saying this is your talk:

Not exactly the elaborated reply to why it should be illegal to insult someone, in SA or anywhere else.

The question is basically why racism, sexism, homophobia and anything else that causes offence should be illegal.
Because it is harmful, just like physical crime?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Kill all whites. Should this statement get a free pass?
You jumped straight to an example of what I'm not talking about. That's a call for physical harm to come to others. It's way beyond hurt feelings or mere offensiveness.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
You jumped straight to an example of what I'm not talking about. That's a call for physical harm to come to others. It's way beyond hurt feelings or mere offensiveness.
Fair enough. But no one is harmed yet (or may be harmed).

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Kind of giving WhatsApp a bad rap. Would sending it to a group of people via email get Gmail called out?