Be careful which Android TV box you buy

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
Why not just run whatever streaming app it is you want on a normal pc and connect it to the tv?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Or get decent TV with webOS like LG or samsung.

That's generally my thinking as well.

A Samsung TV bought now offers YouTube, Netflix, Google Movies, iTunes, Amazon all in UHD.

The ATV lack YouTube UHD and Google Movies, but have Amazon and iTunes
The Android boxes lack Amazon and iTunes, but have YouTube UHD and Google Movies
The Samsung does everything that the others do, and more ...

Hemps

Honorary Master
Why not just run whatever streaming app it is you want on a normal pc and connect it to the tv?

Need a decent way to control the laptop/pc connected to the TV though, a mouse on the couch sucks?

Hemps

Honorary Master

A Samsung TV bought now offers YouTube, Netflix, Google Movies, iTunes, Amazon all in UHD.

The Android boxes lack Amazon and iTunes, but have YouTube UHD and Google Movies

My thinking too, rather spend the cash you would of spent on TV box on a decent TV.

Dolby

Honorary Master

Exactly as Hemps said ... it's the user experience.

Also, I've heard that UHD streaming needs quite a beefy PC / GFX card?

I guess it's OK if you're using Kodi and are using a FullHD TV though, and the user experience isn't an issue for you

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master

The Shield has everything except Dolby Vision.

Zae87

Does anyone know how the Mecool Km9 pro performs? any issues?

Dolby

Honorary Master
What kind of tv am I likely to get for R1500?

Like we said earlier, it'd be silly to run out and buy a TV purely for streaming.

But it almost sounds like he's already looking and in the market?
Which makes the point moot?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Like we said earlier, it'd be silly to run out and buy a TV purely for streaming.

But it almost sounds like he's already looking and in the market?
Which makes the point moot?
He said when which hardly seems urgent. Like, one day when I need a new tv...

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
Need a decent way to control the laptop/pc connected to the TV though, a mouse on the couch sucks?

That it does, hence there are many apps to control your pc with your phone over bluetooth or wifi etc, they also include specific control for popular apps so you can easily operate Netfix or Kodi or Hulu whatever it is that you use. Unified Remote is a good one.

Hemps

Honorary Master
What kind of tv am I likely to get for R1500?

Looking at it from my current setup I would need to buy UHD TV and ATV4k, I would rather spend the money I would of spent on the ATV4k on the TV instead, getting a better TV.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I own two Skyworth Binge TVs, and though I use them as media boxes at the moment, I am disappointed that they lack a certain licence. Asking, “why?” I have heard everything, and mostly I hear that the company is too small and only trade in China, etc, etc, etc. and then I also hear that it is not them but the other party… for example, Netflix.

Skyworth acquired some lucrative companies like Caldero and recently Altech UEC, amongst others, and most acquisitions are to develop and deliver set-top boxes and IP products and services.

In 2016 Skyworth was the world’s third-largest set-top box supplier in the world. They do have a big market.

So, why no Netflix? Don’t tell me it is because this Skyworth isn’t the same as the other Skyworth which I have also heard.

GreatWmR

Expert Member
I own two Skyworth Binge TVs, and though I use them as media boxes at the moment, I am disappointed that they lack a certain licence. Asking, “why?” I have heard everything, and mostly I hear that the company is too small and only trade in China, etc, etc, etc. and then I also hear that it is not them but the other party… for example, Netflix.

Skyworth acquired some lucrative companies like Caldero and recently Altech UEC, amongst others, and most acquisitions are to develop and deliver set-top boxes and IP products and services.

In 2016 Skyworth was the world’s third-largest set-top box supplier in the world. They do have a big market.

So, why no Netflix? Don’t tell me it is because this Skyworth isn’t the same as the other Skyworth which I have also heard.
i have a skyworth android tv and everything works perfectly even netflix
no idea why the media box is so gutted