Be careful which Android TV box you buy

jgegroups

Been around the block with these for the past 5 years. Am totally satisfied with the Telkom Lit box for the last 6 months. It is licensed to run Netflix and DSTV Now, and does so perfectly well. And because the OS is Android TV it works well with the standard remote and apps that support it.

My 2 cents.

Dolby

Honorary Master
no idea why the media box is so gutted

I think it boils down to watch you want and need.

If you have an older TV without Smart TV, limited Smart TV or certified Smart TV - you'll need a device to get 'smart' ...

If you don't need Netflix - almost a no brainer to get a cheap box, load Kodi and whatever you need ... and you'll be happy.
If you care about Netflix and wish to save R400.00 - again, get one of those cheap units.

But for many people would rather pay a few hundred Rand extra and just get something that works out the box, with UltraHD , HDR and 5.1 content. There's no limited resolutions ... there are no scrolling issues or mobile Android apps ... there are no issues with updating.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
That's generally my thinking as well.

A Samsung TV bought now offers YouTube, Netflix, Google Movies, iTunes, Amazon all in UHD.

The ATV lack YouTube UHD and Google Movies, but have Amazon and iTunes
The Android boxes lack Amazon and iTunes, but have YouTube UHD and Google Movies
The Samsung does everything that the others do, and more ...
Does either of Samsung tvs or Apple TV support apps like Morpheus, Mobdro, Bee TV or Titanium TV?

Dolby

Honorary Master
What is that? Lol. Apple product limited to their ecosystem. Meh. No thanks.

So most people know I'm a big Apple hater ... but

The other day I really wanted to see a movie (Unbreakable) and being fully legal now, I decided to see if anything had it. Netflix US / ZA , Amazon Video , Showmax, Google Movies or DSTV Now couldn't assist.

Guess where the only place I could it?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Does either of Samsung tvs or Apple TV support apps like Morpheus, Mobdro, Bee TV or Titanium TV?

Like I said earlier, if you're prefer pirating / scripting / sideloading/ hacking / customising - then the Android box is probably the better bet. But the Samsung TV is made most the majority of the market.

Totempole

Expert Member
Non-certified devices certainly have a place in the market if you know what you're doing and are willing to make some sacrifices.

I mean R400 for a "4K" Android TV box from China is well worth the gamble if money is tight. Should be fine for most 1080P video.

Techrat

Can you play DSTV Now or Showmax through Chrome or another browser on non certified boxes?

j4ck455

Executive Member
Nology? Seems like they took the tech out of technology?
Greetings meneer.

IIRC, Nology used to be the distributor for Billion ADSL routers and modems and were based in Samrand circa 2008, no comment on Nology's tech competency.

j4ck455

Executive Member

omnom

Nology as usual would like you to think that theirs is the only high quality product. They push the specs on their product as if theirs is the only one you can be sure of. Not true, there are others.

They literally lie on their website and state that their product is the only certified product available off the shelf - completely untrue.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Never had problems running anything on my MI box.

Let me do my broken record thing.
Xiaomi Mi Box
DStv:
SD channels looked TERRIBLE
HD channels looked fantastic, but buffered every 30 seconds (10 Mbps line at the time)
the end