Be careful which Android TV box you buy

Dolby

Honorary Master
Just a pity this one only supports 10/100 network connection so true 4k streaming on a local network is not supported

What does that actually mean?
Do you mean compressed?

You get UHD at different levels of compression and different codecs - but they're still the exact same resolution. You get UHD streaming at 16Mbps right though to Pro level RAW at over 1,000Mbps - but they're both UHD resolution.

So I guess no, it won't handle the high bit rate studio quality UHD ...

Last edited:

ABDurbs

I already have a Xiaomi Mi TV box for our main TV, but I want to get another box for our upstairs lounge.
Is this a good option at R780.00 ?
X96 Mini Android Media TV Box with H9+ Backlit Keyboard - 2GB RAM

Techrat

If your willing to wait for shipping you can get those x96 mini boxes for less than that from China.

Has anybody tried streaming DSTV Now or Showmax through a web browser instead of the app on a non certified box?

Crowley

Executive Member
I already have a Xiaomi Mi TV box for our main TV, but I want to get another box for our upstairs lounge.
Is this a good option at R780.00 ?
X96 Mini Android Media TV Box with H9+ Backlit Keyboard - 2GB RAM

Already answered.

I think it boils down to watch you want and need.

If you have an older TV without Smart TV, limited Smart TV or certified Smart TV - you'll need a device to get 'smart' ...

If you don't need Netflix - almost a no brainer to get a cheap box, load Kodi and whatever you need ... and you'll be happy.
If you care about Netflix and wish to save R400.00 - again, get one of those cheap units.

But for many people would rather pay a few hundred Rand extra and just get something that works out the box, with UltraHD , HDR and 5.1 content. There's no limited resolutions ... there are no scrolling issues or mobile Android apps ... there are no issues with updating.

joshuatree

Expert Member
If your willing to wait for shipping you can get those x96 mini boxes for less than that from China.

Has anybody tried streaming DSTV Now or Showmax through a web browser instead of the app on a non certified box?
I think the web browser will be recognised as being mobile , and subsequently the app will be needed. Desktop version on the browser wouldn't work either.

Techrat

I've tried on a smartphone by selecting show desktop website and Showmax played within Chrome, it was a certified phone though. Going full screen it did not display correctly though, it was way off the sides of the screen.

redarrow

Expert Member
I ditched my cheapy android box recently and replaced it with an Intel NUC.

Running Arch Linux on it, perfect for my needs. I can access Netflix and Showmax, YouTube or pretty much anything that can run in a browser, I have Kodi for local stuff and I have steam for game streaming which works great.

Nic93

Xbmcfan is mostly correct,most 4k boxes running Atv including the Shield had a upscaled UI being a fault with the Android TV UI. Shield fixed it a while ago but other boxes including the Mibox cannot do true 4k,this effects playback as well.
Most people won't notice it though.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Xbmcfan is mostly correct,most 4k boxes running Atv including the Shield had a upscaled UI being a fault with the Android TV UI. Shield fixed it a while ago but other boxes including the Mibox cannot do true 4k,this effects playback as well.
Most people won't notice it though.
problem with the Shield is that there is no officially distributor which makes his kak expensive

Nic93

Just for clarity,the downscaling and automatic refresh rate switching does not effect eachother. Refresh rate has nothing to do with picture quality.

Nic93

Lol I agree,I'll buy one second hand some day probably to see what the fuss was about. Any decent box with Widevine DRM Level 1 and some tweaks can get you true 4k UI and playback,uhd Netflix and 1080p DStv easily though

alloytoo

Honorary Master
we have to 3 MeCool M8S boxes which run Kodi, Prime video and potentially Netflix. I also have Zoom and Facebook installed on one of them.

We also have a MiBox 4 S (and another on order) which has Kodi, Disney+, Prime, Netflix, TVNZ on demand, YouTube and Chromecast built in. For the most part the MiBox just works with minimal fuss. I have only two gripes.

1. No ethernet port, I use a USB ethernet adaptor.

2. Android TV doesn't like webcams, and apps like Skype are not supported.

maumau

Honorary Master
we have to 3 MeCool M8S boxes which run Kodi, Prime video and potentially Netflix. I also have Zoom and Facebook installed on one of them.

We also have a MiBox 4 S (and another on order) which has Kodi, Disney+, Prime, Netflix, TVNZ on demand, YouTube and Chromecast built in. For the most part the MiBox just works with minimal fuss. I have only two gripes.

1. No ethernet port, I use a USB ethernet adaptor.

2. Android TV doesn't like webcams, and apps like Skype are not supported.

Which USB adapter are you using? Need to buy one but there's a lot of rubbish out there.

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Which USB adapter are you using? Need to buy one but there's a lot of rubbish out there.

I use this one from Takealot - you do need a USB-A to, USB-C adapter, but I use it for other devices as well, ...

Ugreen USB-C to 3 port usb 2.0 hub with ethernet, for some reason I cannot post link or picture this morning.

maumau

Honorary Master
I use this one from Takealot - you do need a USB-A to, USB-C adapter, but I use it for other devices as well, ...

Ugreen USB-C to 3 port usb 2.0 hub with ethernet, for some reason I cannot post link or picture this morning.

Thanks, also for mentioning the converter :)

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Thanks, also for mentioning the converter :)

At home I use wi-fi, but when the Mi-Box "travels" the adapter gets used, also has 3 USB ports, if you need to take movies along , because of lack of decent internet.

alloytoo

Honorary Master