Beach holiday with sour ending

daneza

Exact same happened to a friend's family a month ago. They stayed at an Airbnb at Durban south coast, 5 family members and 3 Jack Russells.

The house had perimeter beams, bars and gates. The owner, while showing them around, said not to worry about a gate in the kitchen because it wouldn't open and the key was rusted stuck in the lock. All seeming fine, they go to sleep. Friend fell asleep in the lounge with her phone right next to her head.

Next morning they slowly start realising things are missing. 6 phones, 3 laptops and 2 handbags all gone. And nobody woke up, not even the dogs. It turned out 2 perimeter beams outside the "stuck" kitchen gate were tampered with and conveniently not working. They suspect an inside job. It freaked them out and cost an entire day of their weekend away sorting everything out.

Sorry to hear OP and glad you're all ok.

maumau

Honorary Master
Exact same happened to a friend's family a month ago. They stayed at an Airbnb at Durban south coast, 5 family members and 3 Jack Russells.

The house had perimeter beams, bars and gates. The owner, while showing them around, said not to worry about a gate in the kitchen because it wouldn't open and the key was rusted stuck in the lock. All seeming fine, they go to sleep. Friend fell asleep in the lounge with her phone right next to her head.

Next morning they slowly start realising things are missing. 6 phones, 3 laptops and 2 handbags all gone. And nobody woke up, not even the dogs. It turned out 2 perimeter beams outside the "stuck" kitchen gate were tampered with and conveniently not working. They suspect an inside job. It freaked them out and cost an entire day of their weekend away sorting everything out.

Sorry to hear OP and glad you're all ok.
Mught have been an inside job but why didn't the dogs wake up?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
BM - Bravo Male - Black Male
WM - Whiskey Male - White Male
CM - Charlie Male - Coloured Male
IM - India Male - ..... um .... Indian Male

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Anyway, lesson learnt. Now my own house is definitely getting perimeter beams.
Do you mean yard beams?

You need something to deter them from just jumping over wall into yard and robbing you while you are braaiing. Yard beams would be off.

daneza

Mught have been an inside job but why didn't the dogs wake up?
No idea. But I've heard of other people sleeping cold right through a robbery, having had "the best sleep in a long time" while the door in the next room gets ripped apart with a crowbar. Most thieves are not quiet. Maybe substances are being brought in from dodgy Chinese chemists?

Had a friend have his drink spiked with Flakka last year at a grungy bar. Almost got himself killed he was acting so wild. I heard that a girl actually did die the next weekend at that same bar.

schuits

Expert Member
In our case I guess we were just sleeping soundly. 2am is not really the time people are sleeping lightly.
The room they broke into was unoccupied and the door was closed, so the sounds would have been muffled.

The only reason I woke up is that there's always a part of my brain listening for sounds that are out of place.