Been a victim of mail theft? (particularly packages from overseas)

Threepwood

I'm thinking of buying an item from an overseas dealer, and am just concerned about it getting stolen, especially in light of a recent article about SA residents Amazon packages being stolen.

This package will not come from Amazon or any well known on line retailer, do you think the fact that the people stealing Amazon packages for instance, are doing so because they know the source?

Or does anyone just have any general insight into mail theft?

If it helps at all, the company will send to me via EMS:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=127030

Moederloos

Honorary Master
If it is in any way intellectual, chances are you are safe.
Anything "modern entertainment media"-ish will be stolen.

quovadis

Executive Member
I've used USPS Express Mail International quite a bit and haven't lost 1 item yet - All arrived with no problems to my front door in about a week.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
I've had one EMS item and on reg mail item stolen over the last 9 years or so. These were international incoming items.

The seller got refunded for the EMS loss and reshipped the item to me, the second time it arrived OK.

AT present I have one overdue US DVD (USPS Airmail) but the shop I bought from will reship if I wait
the 30 days. I usually wait longer than that.

Last edited:

WildPikachu

The Cape Town Customs Clearning house is very helpful imho.

Whenever I have an inbound item that takes a few weeks too long I call them and they normally can tell me where it is.

I don't get lost international mail, it just always always gets intercepted by customs and I must go pick it up myself from the clearing house.

Vernon

Expert Member
I've had one EMS item and on reg mail item stolen over the last 9 years or so. These were international incoming items.

The seller got refunded for the EMS loss and reshipped the item to me, the second time it arrived OK.

Well my experience with EMS has not been that great. Very recently I've had two packages vanish into thin air. I've got the tracking numbers of both items(purchases from two different sellers on eBay) and on the usps site it lists them as having left the US, but after that...nothing. Local customs have no info on them at all. Usually Express Mail shipping would arrive via courier to my premises within 3-5 working days. So for the life of me I just can't figure out what's happened to these last two packages. I mean is it possible that the thieving scumbags at customs just didn't scan the items so that there would be no local tracking number and they could just steal them?! I've heard of theft of standard air mail but has it now also spread to Express mail shipments as well? I've tried phoning the 0860111502 number as well as (011) 961-6000, but as I say, they have no info for me at all. Can anyone suggest anything else I could try besides asking the overseas seller for re-shipping or to be refunded.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
we sent stuff to the states and some stuff was stolen between here and there.

flarkit

Executive Member
I've had 2 or 3 items stolen using EMS in the past few years, so I insist on tracking numbers, or registered post, with insurance. These @#$%$'ers even opened a thick envelope with some cards and then sent the empty envelope to me
:mad:

diabolus

Executive Member
Vernon said:
Very recently I've had two packages vanish into thin air. I've got the tracking numbers of both items(purchases from two different sellers on eBay) and on the usps site it lists them as having left the US, but after that...nothing.

I've had the same thing, just not with EMS, but with DHL from Germany. You get a tracking number, you see it "leaving" say Frankfurt, and then it goes off the map. Customs know nothing, it's just gone.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I've had the same thing, just not with EMS, but with DHL from Germany. You get a tracking number, you see it "leaving" say Frankfurt, and then it goes off the map. Customs know nothing, it's just gone.
DHL is supposed to know where the package is every step of the way - isnt that why we pay a surplus to have them courier goods?

Did they reimburse you for the loss?

Rescueswimmer

I am waiting on 3 packages :( , Pls can u give the contact numbers for Cape Town Customs Clearning house. I tried to google the number, but got quite a few different numbers.:)
Thx

PeterCH

Honorary Master
I am waiting on 3 packages :( , Pls can u give the contact numbers for Cape Town Customs Clearning house. I tried to google the number, but got quite a few different numbers.:)
Thx

http://www.sapo.co.za/sales/working_documents/w_cape.htm

This one should work for the Capemail Postal Depot: Tel (021) 590 5554

Call them and ask the operator for customs, then say you want to track your parcels and they'll ask for your tracking numbers.

If you don't get luck call 1023 and ask for the number for Capemail or your local post office for that number.

Last edited:

KillerX

Expert Member
bunch of monkeys working at customs. I dont even think it matters if you ship with DHL... it still goes through customs. Items just go 'missing' cause the corrupt officials just help themselves to whatever they want and claim they never received anything. You dont have to worry about sending books, but if its anything shiny its basically a risk

orange

I'm thinking of buying an item from an overseas dealer, and am just concerned about it getting stolen, especially in light of a recent article about SA residents Amazon packages being stolen.

This package will not come from Amazon or any well known on line retailer, do you think the fact that the people stealing Amazon packages for instance, are doing so because they know the source?

Or does anyone just have any general insight into mail theft?

If it helps at all, the company will send to me via EMS:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=127030

I got 2 packages from www.DVDCrave.com.au no problem.....

Generator Man

Well my experience with EMS has not been that great. Very recently I've had two packages vanish into thin air. I've got the tracking numbers of both items(purchases from two different sellers on eBay) and on the usps site it lists them as having left the US, but after that...nothing. Local customs have no info on them at all. Usually Express Mail shipping would arrive via courier to my premises within 3-5 working days. So for the life of me I just can't figure out what's happened to these last two packages. I mean is it possible that the thieving scumbags at customs just didn't scan the items so that there would be no local tracking number and they could just steal them?! I've heard of theft of standard air mail but has it now also spread to Express mail shipments as well? I've tried phoning the 0860111502 number as well as (011) 961-6000, but as I say, they have no info for me at all. Can anyone suggest anything else I could try besides asking the overseas seller for re-shipping or to be refunded.

Sounds exactly what happened to me with some car parts from Russia. I have the story posted elsewhere on this BB.

basically R5k's worth of parts left Moscow via air mail, never arrived on the SAPO system. Called customs who say they never received a parcel with that tracking number, russian posts say that it's out of their hands, so there is nothing they can do.

I had the charges reversed on my credit card since I never requested the parts be sent via mail, and their website states that for all overseas shipments they use DHL or UPS.

Problem is I am now stuck with a car lying in pieces in a workshop, and I don't know where the heck to get said parts from as I can't find them anywhere else.

I HATE THEM.

PeterCH

Honorary Master

There is nothing more you can do after contacting SAPO and Customs.
If they don't have it, and at least 2 weeks have passed from the time
it left the originating country, have the sender declare a non-delivery
and claim back from their postal service.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Sounds exactly what happened to me with some car parts from Russia. I have the story posted elsewhere on this BB.

basically R5k's worth of parts left Moscow via air mail, never arrived on the SAPO system. Called customs who say they never received a parcel with that tracking number, russian posts say that it's out of their hands, so there is nothing they can do.

I had the charges reversed on my credit card since I never requested the parts be sent via mail, and their website states that for all overseas shipments they use DHL or UPS.

Problem is I am now stuck with a car lying in pieces in a workshop, and I don't know where the heck to get said parts from as I can't find them anywhere else.

I HATE THEM.

Try car enthusiast newsgroups and forums. Maybe someone has some spare
parts. Go international.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Maybe if we could get some feedback. Did you guys get your EMS parcels?
We can get an idea of the level of theft in the South African Post office.