beginner fruit/veg garden

maumau

Honorary Master
Hello. I'm glad that I stumbled upon this thread. I was itchy to start my own garden and now I finally have land to do it. My dad even gave me his old tractor and a bunch of rakes and shovels. I have managed to make a decent yard as well as grow some crops, tomatoes mostly. I'm thinking to try something new and my dad said I'll need tons of fertilizer for my needs. I want to buy a spreader from this list he suggested but I'm not sure which one to pick and what else I should need in the future. I have 3 acres by the way.

Very nice. Where's the plot? Gauteng, Cape...

AchmatK

Executive Member
Hanepoot grapes doing well. Going to be a bumper crop this year from the two vines. Olives also seen to be more this year than last. 20191204_192612.jpeg 20191130_101727.jpeg

Marsie27

Yum. The sweetest ones are those left on the vine till they get that brownish tinge. I reckon on February being Hanepoort prime season, certainly in the greater Cape Town area.

R13...

Honorary Master
How do you guys keeps insects eating leaves? I've heard it's beetles and they seem to only work at night. Tried cabbages but they get shredded.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Leaving a spinach plant to grow wild. Its nearly 2m high.

Will remove it after harvesting the seeds for my next batch. View attachment 976696
Wat de hel

Never seen a spinach plant grow like that :D

I'm hopefully starting a veggie garden when I get back from holiday. Got big plans for a tiny section of yard.

AchmatK

Executive Member
Wat de hel

Never seen a spinach plant grow like that :D

I'm hopefully starting a veggie garden when I get back from holiday. Got big plans for a tiny section of yard.
Must be the perfect spot. Hardly any full sun except late afternoon for a couple of hours. I also hardly give it water and have never fertilised the soil.

One farmer actually said they can't grow tall until I showed him the pic. I have about 100m² with similar conditions. Maybe I should plant rows of spinach there.

smiley-zn

Was thinking of putting manure in my vegetable patch and fruit trees in the coming weeks.

Has anyone done this previously, what product did you use, how much did you apply and how did you apply it.

maumau

Honorary Master
Was thinking of putting manure in my vegetable patch and fruit trees in the coming weeks.

Has anyone done this previously, what product did you use, how much did you apply and how did you apply it.

All I remember from my mother's gardening days is that manure can burn the plants.

I'm not sure if she mixed it with soil or made a tea :sick: for the vegetables but she had to be careful.

maumau

Honorary Master
BTW raised beds are FANTASTIC for growing vegetables. I saw some for sale at Lifestyle Garden Centre yesterday and this site sells them as well as irrigation systems. If you like you can make your own rain/sun protector with plastic conduit and shade cloth.

Could not be easier.

Here too, these have a built in watering system.

Last edited:

rrh

Expert Member
The fact that my lemon trees are laden with fruit has encouraged me to start my own urban orchard, with this week's planting of one tree of each of apricot, peach, nectarine & satsuma.

smiley-zn

All I remember from my mother's gardening days is that manure can burn the plants.

I'm not sure if she mixed it with soil or made a tea :sick: for the vegetables but she had to be careful.
Yes, manure needs to be composted to avoid burn due to the high nitrogen content

AchmatK

Executive Member
Not exactly fruit/veg.

Wife bought some roses from woollies just over a month ago. When the flowers wilted I used the petals for potpourri and decided to see if the stems would grow. Planted them a couple of weeks ago and most of them have started to grow. Wife bought another bunch of roses and I planted the stems last week as well. If they all take i could end up with 40 rose bushes. 20210614_165103.jpg 20210614_165113.jpg

AchmatK

Executive Member
Everything I've read and people I've spoken to indicated that curry leaf trees are hard to propagate and they will not grow in my climate. Its even harder to grow them from seeds and I should rather try to use cuttings.

My current curry leaf tree is just over 2m tall and had over 70 fruit. I planted all +70 seeds and as of today nearly 30 have already sprouted and I've given about 5 of them away already. They did take 3 months to start growing from seed but of the 5 cuttings I tried to grow, none of them took.

Have a few to give away if anyone wants. I'm out in Somerset West. Bring your own container. 20210614_172718.jpg