Beginners Guide 1: Flashing Official Samsung Firmware

eg2505

Honorary Master
Excellent work Fanie;

small thing Id add to this and to any other guides for android you release;
BACKUP YOUR DATA via titanium backup, export to SD card, ect... as you will lose everything when you do a flash.

another item id add, you probably have more experience with this;

if you get X do Y or a guide for common problems and how to fix them,

like with me and my galaxy pocket S5300
I followed the above, got bootlooping, where it would vibrate after showing samsung screen, and then restart endlessly;
didn't know what to do, XDA was little help as they all recommended use a PIT file when flashing,

I was very afraid to use that, as others said never use a PIT file as its gonna brick your phone;
anyway I reloaded my Custom ROM image and it kind of worked but I was getting play store issues
(SEC-7 AEC-0) and nothing would redownlaod again to my phone;

redid everything from the top, and put my firmware file on everything listed under CSC, and MODEM in odin,
dont know why but after a flash again, all started working properly,

still until today not sure how I even fixed my bootlooping, all I know is XDA wasnt much help.....

my next question to you is ;
can you combine features from 2 diffrent ROMS? IE the FM radio in one rom works, but in another everything is perfect except that.
and please dont tell me use spirit FM, tried it a bunch of times, never picks up my chipset or works properly.....

howzit, thanks for the feedback.

Excellent work Fanie;

small thing Id add to this and to any other guides for android you release;
BACKUP YOUR DATA via titanium backup, export to SD card, ect... as you will lose everything when you do a flash.
You see, with this guide it's really not flashing a different ROM, or custom ROM even, so backups do not matter that much. But when you are talking custom ROM, where you will definitely loose everything, I'll definitely recommend that.

another item id add, you probably have more experience with this;

if you get X do Y or a guide for common problems and how to fix them,

like with me and my galaxy pocket S5300
I followed the above, got bootlooping, where it would vibrate after showing samsung screen, and then restart endlessly;
didn't know what to do, XDA was little help as they all recommended use a PIT file when flashing,

I was very afraid to use that, as others said never use a PIT file as its gonna brick your phone;
anyway I reloaded my Custom ROM image and it kind of worked but I was getting play store issues
(SEC-7 AEC-0) and nothing would redownlaod again to my phone;

redid everything from the top, and put my firmware file on everything listed under CSC, and MODEM in odin,
dont know why but after a flash again, all started working properly,

still until today not sure how I even fixed my bootlooping, all I know is XDA wasnt much help.....
Yeh, this guide really is just suited to stock firmware, and I'm also no expert in the custom ROM space, but it sounds to me like you got some dodgy build which doesn't work properly. I have a couple of pockets lying at home, and have attempted (read investigated) a couple of times before to try and get them rooted and flashed with something custom, but to be honest, there is not a lot out there for these old, very much without any suitable processing power, phones. I'm just glad for your sake that you won in the end.

my next question to you is ;
can you combine features from 2 diffrent ROMS? IE the FM radio in one rom works, but in another everything is perfect except that.
and please dont tell me use spirit FM, tried it a bunch of times, never picks up my chipset or works properly.....
the features you are talking about, the FM radio, should just be an app. if you are rooted you should be apple to back the complete app up, and restore it in a seperate ROM. I would think that would work, but have never tried it myself.

Maybe I should get someone to do a custom ROM guide for us. There are some guys on here who knows a hell of a lot more about it than me.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
Custom RoMs are always a bit buggy, very few in my experience nail everything down spot on. For myself, I kicked the Stock S5 rom when it just crashed, where everything popped up "not responding" after more than 6 months on Lollipop. Yes it was a stock Lolipop rom from SAMMOBILE.

Currently I'm running S5 G900F on XtreStoLite INTL v2.2 Only issue I can find is that the settings in "Ok Google" for using it from any screen / locked is missing.

Smokey_sa

Hi,
Something strange is happening here. I followed the guide and when starting Odins flash process it gets stuck. Should something be happening here? I waited but no movement at all.

Here the Odin log.

<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/005> sboot.bin
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!

Thanks

Hi,
Something strange is happening here. I followed the guide and when starting Odins flash process it gets stuck. Should something be happening here? I waited but no movement at all.

Here the Odin log.

<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/005> sboot.bin
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!

Thanks
I had the same happen. No progress bar at the top of ODIN or on your device screen, right?

Try and follow those instructions to the T. Had to do it exactly in that order before it worked. When you switch your phone off (before you switch it back on for download mode) wait about 15sec before you switch it on again. Plug it only into your usb cable after it is in download mode and after you have loaded the firmware file into ODIN.

I had the same happen. No progress bar at the top of ODIN or on your device screen, right?

Try and follow those instructions to the T. Had to do it exactly in that order before it worked. When you switch your phone off (before you switch it back on for download mode) wait about 15sec before you switch it on again. Plug it only into your usb cable after it is in download mode and after you have loaded the firmware file into ODIN.
The wait between the switch off and on is the important bit imo. I was too quick on the draw as well, and only after an hour I saw a guide that suggested waiting a couple of seconds before you put it into download mode. To be safe, wait 60sec. And keep to the order of the guide.

Let me know how it goes.

Smokey_sa

Hi Fanie,

thanks for your quick replies.

How long should the NAND WRITE take? I done all you said, but still stuck at the same place. Tried differen cable, but no luck.
Anything else I can try?

Thanks

Smokey_sa

Hi Fanie,

How long should the NAND WRITE take? I done all you said, but still stuck at the same place. Tried differen cable, but no luck.
Anything else I can try?

Thanks

Hi Fanie,

Anything else I can try?

Thanks
If you don't see the progress bar, nothing is happening. Kill the application and start from scratch.

Pakka

Expert Member
I've got the latest stock firmware (5.1) on the S4 (gt-i9505). I cant seem to find a rooted kernel to root my device with. Does anyone know of one?

Right, OP updated.

Let me know if you guys want to add anything.

Still looking for:
- Latest Odin link
- Links to alternatives to sammobile.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Any custom ROM's for an Huawei Mediapad T1-701u out there?

Had no luck googling :(