Beginners Guide 1: Flashing Official Samsung Firmware

vorman

Expert Member
So my question regarding installing Vodafone UK firmware and whether VoLTE will work. i have tried it with some interesting results.

I went to sammobile to download UK Vodafone firmware. This firmware has csc code VOD as illustrated on sammobile.
After the download, i noticed the CSC file has OVF in it. Now this is a multi csc which includes SA XFV (Vodacom).

After the download i was greeted with the Vodacom splash screen as normal. The software updated to Oreo but detected my sim and installed XFV CSC. The phone now has proper Vodacom Oreo software with VoLTE working. The phone shows no sign of UK software been installed. Phone Info app lists the CSC as XFV and does not even indicate it is a multi csc firmware. Upon start up, it gave me the exact same options as the Vodacom firmware did. ie to install the MyVodacom app etc. It also had the Vodacom wallpapers as default.

This means Vodacom could push out the software soon enough, though this software (VOD) that i downloaded is dated 6th March. Not sure why Vodacom doesnt release it if its ready as a whole multi CSC pack.

Now im just not sure where my updates will come from OTA. Part of the multi CSC updates or vodacom local, that is, if i do get updates OTA.
But anyways, i would recommend this to anyone thats using Vodacom SA phones should they want VoLTE working.

Edit: Just noticed that Google Play store lists the device as uncertified. Why would this be so @faniebraai ? Knox is not tripped. Under 'About Phone' and 'device status' it says 'official ' so I'm guessing it's just a software bug?
I have no idea how to root or even unlock bootloader but I'm assuming this couldn't have been tampered with during this update?

Last edited:

Ajishomo

I want to flash VOD(UK) Oreo Update on my S7 edge

So my question regarding installing Vodafone UK firmware and whether VoLTE will work. i have tried it with some interesting results.

I went to sammobile to download UK Vodafone firmware. This firmware has csc code VOD as illustrated on sammobile.
After the download, i noticed the CSC file has OVF in it. Now this is a multi csc which includes SA XFV (Vodacom).

After the download i was greeted with the Vodacom splash screen as normal. The software updated to Oreo but detected my sim and installed XFV CSC. The phone now has proper Vodacom Oreo software with VoLTE working. The phone shows no sign of UK software been installed. Phone Info app lists the CSC as XFV and does not even indicate it is a multi csc firmware. Upon start up, it gave me the exact same options as the Vodacom firmware did. ie to install the MyVodacom app etc. It also had the Vodacom wallpapers as default.

This means Vodacom could push out the software soon enough, though this software (VOD) that i downloaded is dated 6th March. Not sure why Vodacom doesnt release it if its ready as a whole multi CSC pack.

Now im just not sure where my updates will come from OTA. Part of the multi CSC updates or vodacom local, that is, if i do get updates OTA.
But anyways, i would recommend this to anyone thats using Vodacom SA phones should they want VoLTE working.

Edit: Just noticed that Google Play store lists the device as uncertified. Why would this be so @faniebraai ? Knox is not tripped. Under 'About Phone' and 'device status' it says 'official ' so I'm guessing it's just a software bug?
I have no idea how to root or even unlock bootloader but I'm assuming this couldn't have been tampered with during this update?

I am also contemplating flashing VOD (UK) Oreo on my S7 edge and wanted to be sure its safe before proceeding. Did you use home_CSC or CSC? Please does that means you are unable to download or buy apps on Google Play Store?

Dave

Honorary Master
A quick search shows that it's a temperamental setting. One of the comments on an article about it:

I have a Pixel 2 XL running stock ROM and it says uncertified in play store settings, lol Google go home you drunk
It's Google own phone and Google own ROM!

101CA91C-5EE1-4A1F-ABF3-17BD965A08DD.png

I am also contemplating flashing VOD (UK) Oreo on my S7 edge and wanted to be sure its safe before proceeding. Did you use home_CSC or CSC? Please does that means you are unable to download or buy apps on Google Play Store?
Flash BTU and Home_CSC if you don't want to reset. CSC if you want to start fresh (recommended by me)

Ajishomo

Flash BTU and Home_CSC if you don't want to reset. CSC if you want to start fresh (recommended by me)
Thank you.

My S7 edge is XFV i.e Vodacom (South Africa) , so a friend has suggested that I flash VOD(UK). I will use the normal CSC instead of Home_CSC to be on safer side.

Wasabee!

Expert Member
I rooted my s6 many years ago and flashed a custom rom. Was buggy so went back to stock rom only to find out that samsung has put a little e fuse that burns out if the phone is rooted and even withstock rom flashed samsung health etc no longer worked. Now I want to flash an unbranded stock rom to my s8+, but don't want to void mu warranty again. If I do it via odin without rooting my phone will it work or will I still trigger the counter?
You are referring to Knox and I don't believe it is tripped if you:

- Samsung genuine ROM (any country) and
- do not root your phone

I think if you break any of the two above it will void Knox.

ECHLN

Did you flash Home CSC or CSC? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my Note8. Its an XFA model and the XFE model is under the same multi CSC (OXM) but has Android 9.0.

vorman

Expert Member
Did you flash Home CSC or CSC? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my Note8. Its an XFA model and the XFE model is under the same multi CSC (OXM) but has Android 9.0.
I flashed CSC and did a clean install.
Is XFA from a carrier? Which carrier?

If its a generic country CSC, why not just flash BTU csc one time. Or the German one.
You'll get updates much quicker.

Unless XFA is from CellC, then you'll lose WiFi calling if you have it enabled.
On the other hand, if XFA is part of the multi-csc, then you will be in my situation and still have WiFi calling enabled.

ECHLN

I flashed CSC and did a clean install.
Is XFA from a carrier? Which carrier?

If its a generic country CSC, why not just flash BTU csc one time. Or the German one.
You'll get updates much quicker.

Unless XFA is from CellC, then you'll lose WiFi calling if you have it enabled.
On the other hand, if XFA is part of the multi-csc, then you will be in my situation and still have WiFi calling enabled.
XFA is both MTN and Telkom but I'm using Telkom. I guess BTU makes more sense.